Thread: I got one seriously confused apple tree

Default I got one seriously confused apple tree

I planted five apple trees this year. The last one took me some doing to find, I wanted a prairie magic and the only nursery that had one left had it inside the green house. It bloomed early and had small apples towards the end of May. Before it got planted it spend a few weeks on my porch where the wind knocked it down a few times, which I'm sure it didn't do it any favors. Once planted in the soil the othertrees had an easy time putting up some growth to the point that I decided to let them keep 5~10 apples each. The prairie magic was pretty much stunted; it lost its apples and didn't put any new growth until early July. Then it tried to put flowers again, I took those out. It had a bit more growth and now it is trying to put a few more flowers.

Obviously the tree is rather confused as to how the whole seasons bit works. Is there anything to do other than wait for the winter to sort it out?

I just planted three apple trees myself this year.
    Two Norlunds and a parkland.
    All of my research said to remove all flowers during the first year. That way the tree will use it's energy for root health instead of putting energy into producing fruit.
    Thank God we did as my parkland could never have supported all the apples it would have grown. It had a ton of blossoms.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yeah, you pretty much have to trim out flowers and apples regardless of the age of the tree or they'll hurt themselves. To many and you end up with tiny apples, broken branches and trees that produce every other year because they skip one to recover. Early on they showed a healthy amount of growth so a few were not bound to hurt things much.

Next April the fire Apple orchard will hold grafting classes. You could add a few varieties to your existing trees.

Quote Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
    Next April the fire Apple orchard will hold grafting classes. You could add a few varieties to your existing trees.
    Yeah I'm in Soldotna so I doubt I'll make that class.
    Wish I had more space on my property for adding other fruit trees.
    But between the two veggie gardens and my new (56 plant) rhubarb garden I'm not sure I have room for more fruit trees.

I miss apple trees, have not seen any around Fairbanks....wonder if they would survive

Quote Originally Posted by papabear3 View Post
    I miss apple trees, have not seen any around Fairbanks....wonder if they would survive
    Yes there are people growing apples there.
    Contact the Alaska pioneer fruit growers association to learn more.
    https://www.apfga.org/