Thread: Black flies

Default Black flies

I don't know their name. It's those little black buggers that seem to be very thick everywhere this year. They are congregating on my cabbage. I don't see where they have ate it, but that doesn't mean they aren't laying eggs. Anything to do to protect my cabbage?

Bugs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by tracen8r View Post
    I don't know their name. It's those little black buggers that seem to be very thick everywhere this year. They are congregating on my cabbage. I don't see where they have ate it, but that doesn't mean they aren't laying eggs. Anything to do to protect my cabbage?

Bugs.jpg
    Can't tell by the picture but are they fat little *******s? If you squeeze a bunch of them they turn to a paste? They could be aphids. They don't eat the leaves but they do damage by sucking the sap.

A shot of water to dislodge them, or neem oil. Zevin will certainly do a number on them. They were messing up a cherry tree that wasn't fruiting this year, curling the leaves and stunting growth. Zevin killed them all overnight and I followed up with water spray to remove what was left.

Heya, thanks for the reply. Them little buggers are all over everywhere. On the walls of all my Buildings, Vehicles, Plants, you name it. Though they do seem to have thinned a bit with this heatwave since yesterday.

Have you hung any fly traps?
    I always keep one on my chicken coop and one by my fillet table.
    Fill up every year though I'm not sure they're the same kind of fly that you have pictured.
    I buy the rescue brand from Walmart.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Have you hung any fly traps?
    I always keep one on my chicken coop and one by my fillet table.
    Fill up every year though I'm not sure they're the same kind of fly that you have pictured.
    I buy the rescue brand from Walmart.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    I have not tried fly traps. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks a whole lot like this: http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/pcblackflies_buffalognats.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tracen8r View Post

Bugs.jpg
    Am pretty sure those are a species of fungus gnat (the ones which rise up in big swarms when you dig around in the leaf litter/duff layer sometimes). They don't bite, or eat cabbage. They're interest in the cabbage is only for the drops of moisture collecting on the leaves.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Attachment 97980
    Attachment 97981

Doh! Makes sense now . Thank you iofthetaiga. I did a bunch of dirtwork this spring and removed a lot of organics. What threw me was I have done dirtwork several times here and not had this result. Musta hit the motherlode. At first I thought it was Mayflies, but since I didn't see them until June I discarded that idea! Lol!

Whatever the species, there are a ton of them this year. If it were my cabbages, the only thing I'd worry about is keeping the carcasses rinsed out of the plants as the leaves start to close up, so the heads don't end up full of dead bugs.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It