View Poll Results: What Is The Best Hunting Dog For ALASKA?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Labrador Retriever

14 43.75%
  • Golden Retriever

0 0%
  • Chesapeake Bay Retriever

6 18.75%
  • German Short-Haired Pointer

1 3.13%
  • Brittany Spaniel

1 3.13%
  • Springer Spaniel

1 3.13%
  • Beagle

2 6.25%
  • Hound (Bloodhound, Coonhound, Foxhound etc.)

0 0%
  • Other

7 21.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Hunting Dog Breed For Alaska Poll

Default Best Hunting Dog Breed For Alaska Poll

What is your favorite breed of hunting dog for ALASKA and what would you use it primarily for?

Lab, lab, and lab, in that order...

....not a purebred but she's all heart. Never had her on waterfowl, but she loves to drag driftwood logs out of the surf so pretty sure she'd be into it....also flushes hare like a champion...

"– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Cdubbin, great pictures, but why did you not vote? Lab was the first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Cdubbin, great pictures, but why did you not vote? Lab was the first choice.
    Huh- thought I did- better remedy that!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Attachment 97129Just can't get this image to rotate properly. Loomis, 130 pounds of pure AKC registered Yellow Lab. His only concern in life was me. He'd bring back geese, ptarmigan, spruce hens, artic hares and anything that was thrown. The Eskimo kids in Elim and Shaktoolik loved him. In Nulato I was bringing about 5-6 ptarmigan home with him in tow. I heard one in someone's yard and told him, NO. They shoot stray dogs up there. I continued on for a bit then looked back. He was sitting behind me with a bird in his mouth with it's head bobbing up and down. He'd gone over and caught it himself. He's flown to Nome, Elim, White Mountain, Shaktoolik, Unalakleet, Bethel, Anaik, into Anchorage 4 times.... He got around. He's been down the Yukon in a John boat, across the U.S. two times to NY and back. He just didn't care where we went. Finally had to put him down to cancer. He ruined me with dogs forever.... he was too special to ever replace.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Deutsch Drahthaar, (German Wirehair Pointer). Ducks, upland birds, fur and blood tracking. Great retrievers and they point.

Pudelpointer here, but I think the DD/GWP is a close second (and only second as I prefer the softer family personality and lack of shedding with the PP; hunting wise they're neck and neck IMO).

Alaska has too many cool things to hunt/track with a dog, to use a one purpose only kind of dog--gotta go for the truly versatile breeds that point, retrieve, and track fur/blood (and yes with effort you can also train most of them to flush too).

Quote Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post

Alaska has too many cool things to hunt/track with a dog, to use a one purpose only kind of dog--gotta go for the truly versatile breeds that point, retrieve, and track fur/blood (and yes with effort you can also train most of them to flush too).
    Oh, you mean like a Large Munsterlander......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Yeah, long-haired Dalmatians count too! Better than any of the breeds listed in the survey at least

Yeah, long-haired Dalmatians count too! Better than any of the breeds listed in the survey at least
    What does a dalmation do for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    What does a dalmation do for hunting?
    We really need a sarcasm font. Large munsterlanders are a silky, long haired black and white dog so I enjoy poking fun at their owners by calling them long haired Dalmatians.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    He ruined me with dogs forever.... he was too special to ever replace.
    I know the feeling, as it was the same with my Chessie. I've had a couple dogs since her, but none could replace her that's for sure.....no way, no how! But asking what the "best hunting dog for AK. is" to me is a loaded question, because it really depends on what a guy wants to do with them. Personally, I'd probably get another chessie if I had the chance. Duck hunting has been my passion since I was a kid, so they are a cold water dog which goes really well for AK. My Cheska would swim along side me all day in ice water for ducks and geese and never flinch. But then she also would point and hold pheasants and quail as well. Another thing I really loved about her was, that when it came to hunting, she had an all business like manner. She would love to play a lot, but when it came to hunting she'd get real serious. I know one thing for sure....I never would have put near as many birds on my plate had I not had that dog. I know guys say it a lot and they do really mean it....but indeed, she was one in a million!

Oh and btw...."cod's" Munsterlander has come to love me enough to hunt for me now, so I'm actually going to steal her when he's not looking. But that won't work for long cause eventually he'll figure out where she's at......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We really need a sarcasm font. Large munsterlanders are a silky, long haired black and white dog so I enjoy poking fun at their owners by calling them long haired Dalmatians.
    Gotcha. Sorry, I missed the humor.

Lab's, and more Lab's,,,,,,, here's Murphy, my 3rd, 1st Yellow/or maybe White, >?
    TG

Attachment 97131
    [ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ]

Supporting Member

I am a lab fan as well. I have owned black and yellow labs over the years but prefer the black coat. Tough, great companions and great retrievers.

We lost our last black lab to old age several years ago. He was a great dog. For much of his life we had the space to let him run wild and he would come home with all sorts of “valuable” finds. Bird eggs, sheds, you name it. Then there was that half rotten skunk carcass..... he was upset with me when I took it away and his breath smelled a little like skunk for months.....

Since everyone is posting pictures of their labs, here is a picture of my old favorite dog. This was the best dog I ever owned. She passed away about 10 years ago now. Great dogs. As far as hunting goes though, I use my beagle more for hunting because you can hunt with a beagle all winter long. But for a hunting/companion dog I'd probably go with a lab.

C9E35D81-E3D4-43E3-90AC-DD4A0EE11239.jpegMy best buddy for the last 14 yrs may not be the hunter I had hoped he would be as he seems to be the only gun shy wading lab on the peninsula but he has been an awesome family pet and is loved by us all!! 04902467-3A15-4B97-A5FB-C63A7FA1848F.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    C9E35D81-E3D4-43E3-90AC-DD4A0EE11239.jpegMy best buddy for the last 14 yrs may not be the hunter I had hoped he would be as he seems to be the only gun shy wading lab on the peninsula but he has been an awesome family pet and is loved by us all!! 04902467-3A15-4B97-A5FB-C63A7FA1848F.jpg
    Here's to all the old grey nosed retrievers...!!! I have a 12 year old yellow. Like yours, he wasn't the bird dog I had hoped for, but I take blame for that.....didn't put near the time in needed to have a real good bird dog like I did with my chessie. But he did in fact retrieve a few birds for me, so that's all I can ask for now that he's getting "up there" in years. Last time I sent him across a tidal gut for a duck, he swam to the other side then just stopped and looked back at me. I couldn't get him to hunt up the bird that was only a few yards away. My duck hunting friend said, "He probably just swam over and forgot what he swam over there for?.....lol. But he's always been a real good boy....not a mean bone in his body and the family has just loved him to death! One thing I do know however, as much as I like yellows, I had no idea how bad they shed....WOW...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    One thing I do know however, as much as I like yellows, I had no idea how bad they shed....WOW...!!!
    Yea they shed a little. I think I used an entire roll of duct tape getting the hair out of the upholstery on one truck I sold.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

5B98FC53-1943-4C31-86CC-C7C1ABBC74B3.jpgDeutsch Drahthaar, better than the GWP, and they are hard to beat...Hard to believe they aren’t listed on the poll. They also make a great ski-jor dog. Upland birds mostly, but they will swim after anything. Great trackers, ears and nose. Always hunting when in the woods.
    Attachment 97134

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast