Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama prohibits oil drilling in most US Arctic waters

Default Obama prohibits oil drilling in most US Arctic waters

Obama prohibits offshore oil drilling

https://www.adn.com/politics/2016/12/20/obama-prohibits-offshore-drilling-in-most-of-us-arctic-waters/

EXCERPT:

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama issued an order Tuesday indefinitely closing off the vast majority of U.S. Arctic offshore waters to oil and gas leasing.

The Obama administration's announcement came in conjunction with an announcement by the Canadian government that it would bar oil and gas licensing for all offshore Arctic waters there, though the Canadian decision will be reviewed every five years.

There will be no such built-in review of the Obama administration decision, however. Using the authority granted to the president by the 1953 Outer Continental Shelf Land Act, Obama will "withdraw" from potential oil and gas leasing 125 million acres of the Arctic Ocean. That includes all of the Chukchi Sea and the majority of the Beaufort Sea.

One executive order can easily be undone by another executive order

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    One executive order can easily be undone by another executive order
    Except this wasn't an EO. It was a withdrawl under authority of 43 U.S.C. 1341(a) (the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act), and that law doesn't provide a mechanism for a subsequent president to reverse a withdrawl. "Reversal", if even possible would likely require additional Congressional legislation to change the law and/or a lengthy legal test.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

President Trump will get Congress to reverse this non-sense. Trump needs a 55 gallon barrel of whiteout to eliminate this fool's 'legacy.'

Unfortunately, taiga is correct. Only Congress can pass a new law repealing this Act, Trump will have no authority to change what Barack has done with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AkReaper View Post
    Unfortunately, taiga is correct. Only Congress can pass a new law repealing this Act, Trump will have no authority to change what Barack has done with this one.
    I would imagine that won't be a problem

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Popcorn....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

It may be popcorn time for you Ron. But it means popcorn for dinner for many of us that are now unemployed do to this Jackass's actions. Can't wait til he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    It may be popcorn time for you Ron. But it means popcorn for dinner for many of us that are now unemployed do to this Jackass's actions. Can't wait til he's gone.
    No, I get that, the popcorn was for how long this thread goes nuts.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Fear not, the incoming fascist oligarchy has your best interests at heart!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

It is way, way, way to late to save America. It is also way, way, way to late to save Alaska. A few will save themselves and their loved ones.

Now, that is funny!

Hehe, looking forward to the next 4 years of playing "hide the football" with the new administration.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Fear not, the incoming fascist oligarchy has your best interests at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It is way, way, way to late to save America. It is also way, way, way to late to save Alaska. A few will save themselves and their loved ones.
    I watched a film by a former labor secretary called inequality for all. 40 years of down the river. There is no way to stop it.....I just want to see how long it takes for people to see it. My guess people will skip buyers remorse and go straight to blame the guy before them.

"The interest is up and the stock markets down and you only get mugged if you go downtown".....

Yes, a song, but also major topics here....funny thing about history....when you don't understand it, your doomed to repeat it.

Edwin Hubble

Read this:http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...road/95884438/

Think about sending more money outside the US. I have many friends doing this and many more wanting to. The issue is very clear. The US standard of living will have to drop to match the rest of the world, since theirs are not moving up to meet ours. Painful is not a harsh enough word. So, if we want to compete, wages and prices need to go back to 1962. Think about the amount of money we would lose to get there.

Edwin Hubble

If you are that pessimistic Ron, why would you even want to move back to AK?

I have an income not dependent on Alaska. Besides, Alaskan people are nicer.

Edwin Hubble

I would not buy a house. Wait a couple of years for the market to collapse like 86 and you can get a good deal.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Default Educate yourself and get a job

Get off your ass, educate yourself and find work in a profession that is in demand. The loss of oil jobs in the state has nothing to do with Obama policy. It is a world wide oil surplus. If you are unemployed, it is by choice.

The loss of oil jobs in the state has nothing to do with Obama policy. LOL,LOL, hahahahaha good one

Ok, I'll bite. In what way did Obama's policy loose jobs for Alaskan oil workers?

Do you honestly believe that he is so all powerful that he manipulated the price of oil to rediculasly low levels? He somehow conspired with the oil companies to force them to not produce known oil reserves from leases they have owned for 30+ years?

If you are at all knowlegeble on state oil policy and production then you are quite aware that the vast majority of oil production is on state owened land in Alaska and the Federal Government can only do so much. And of course, congress is involved in just about anything that is done on federal land.

You were paying attention when the largest arctic offshore oil leases in history were auctioned off, were'nt you? They were done under the Obama administration by the way. Oh yea, they were also a huge waste of time. Were you listening when the NPRA leases were conducted under the Obama administration. Those are federal, and the huge new field discovered by Armstrong is on Federally leased NPRA land. So, in what way has he contributed to the decline of Alaska oil jobs?

Lets all admit, offshore oil production is a risky business. Personally, I would rather see production in Bristol Bay before I saw production offshore in the arctic. However, it's not up to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakn View Post
    The loss of oil jobs in the state has nothing to do with Obama policy. LOL,LOL, hahahahaha good one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast