Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ace line hauler owners?

I've had an Ace for 3 years--it pulls almost like a Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins!!! When/if a pot hangs, the Ace gently "bumps/skips" and seems to nudge the pot(s) free without ripping/damaging them. And the hands-free is fantastic--coils the rope neatly into the baskets with only an occasional "stomp" to push the rope to the bottom of the basket. For the price, I believe it's the best on the market for the occasional shrimper.

I'd like to get AN ED eventually (unlike Akgramps above, I would NOT love to have ED!!! Sorry, couldn't resist!), but my shrimping partner keeps arguing that there's no need to change something that's working well. Maybe this is the year, potbuilder--I'll be down your way next week and my friend is out of town!

Quote Originally Posted by akgriz View Post
    I've had an Ace for 3 years--it pulls almost like a Ram 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins!!! When/if a pot hangs, the Ace gently "bumps/skips" and seems to nudge the pot(s) free without ripping/damaging them. And the hands-free is fantastic--coils the rope neatly into the baskets with only an occasional "stomp" to push the rope to the bottom of the basket. For the price, I believe it's the best on the market for the occasional shrimper.

I'd like to get AN ED eventually (unlike Akgramps above, I would NOT love to have ED!!! Sorry, couldn't resist!), but my shrimping partner keeps arguing that there's no need to change something that's working well. Maybe this is the year, potbuilder--I'll be down your way next week and my friend is out of town!
    HAHA, its hard not to love a good pot puller.....! I know people use them and some have issues and some dont...., wish I was one of the later...
    ďWe have digressed from a Nation of Revolutionaries to a country of entitlements"

Anyone ever pull a crab pot in Kachemak bay with a Ace Brutus Line hauler? I gotta think a normal pull of crabs in a pot from the gear shed would about max it out weight wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Andy82Hoyt View Post
    Anyone ever pull a crab pot in Kachemak bay with a Ace Brutus Line hauler? I gotta think a normal pull of crabs in a pot from the gear shed would about max it out weight wise.

Of course it will and at lightning speed.
    PWS is not very deep so it not much of a challenge for a Ace puller.

i donít know about the other shrimpers in PWS but Iím down near 550-600 feet by the end of the season. I usually fish a three pot string these days and the puller pulls fine 99% of the time. I had a string with three octopus and that wasnít a lot of fun. The Ace pulled them all up, but it was quite noticeably slower. It doesnít do well with stuck pots, and I carry a good supply of backup 30amp fuses. I donít think a stronger puller would work in this situation either as I usually have to cleat off to the boat and do circles until they break free. All in all Ive been pretty happy with the ace, and yes, the hands free is well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Of course it will and at lightning speed.
    PWS is not very deep so it not much of a challenge for a Ace puller.
    Thanks. Just wanted to give a friend some advise on it if they struggle. I had a Ace but never pulled a crab pot with it. bought a E Dyne and never looked back.

I bought mine in 2002 mainly because of price. I have it on the scotty swivel base and it has worked great for us. After 10 or so years it started to make some noise and I didn't want to wait for it to totally crap out and noticed the newer ones has an on/off switch so I bought a new motor and painted my frame. The original ones you had to unplug to turn on/off and that was kind of a pain in the fanny. I'm sure the larger units have more power and may be faster but we have used ours a lot and it is still doing great. I haven't pulled crab pots. I have pulled up to 5 pots but it does seem to put a pretty good load on the motor. One thing that I do is I stay straight over the pots to cut down on drag and snagging on the bottom. It's also nice to see them come up on the sounder so know how far down they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    i donít know about the other shrimpers in PWS but Iím down near 550-600 feet by the end of the season. I usually fish a three pot string these days and the puller pulls fine 99% of the time. I had a string with three octopus and that wasnít a lot of fun. The Ace pulled them all up, but it was quite noticeably slower. It doesnít do well with stuck pots, and I carry a good supply of backup 30amp fuses. I donít think a stronger puller would work in this situation either as I usually have to cleat off to the boat and do circles until they break free. All in all Ive been pretty happy with the ace, and yes, the hands free is well worth the money.
    Winter is a good time to fix the little problems we never have time for in the summer.
    Such as a fuse blowing when pulling pots. The reason I bring this up is a 30 amps fuse does not blow @ 30 A. There is a time-delay between the amount amps going through the fuse and when it opens up, depending on what is causing the overload. For a fraction of a second it could be over 100 A. Welding or burning open switch contacts or the motor. Leaving you with the option of pulling the pots by hand.

I also, donít think a stronger puller is the answer to fixing your problem. I say that knowing one of the Manufacture donít use a fuse/circuit breaker in the power cable. Witch is one of the options, I donít recommend you use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12