Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ace line hauler owners?

Default Ace line hauler owners?

I came across an add on for the ace line haulers called the Bulldog. It is an add on that makes your puller a hands free unit and coils the rope on the floor of your boat. I like the sound of hands free but I can not find a single review on the internet to see how well these things work. Do any of you on here that own ace line haulers have this add on and how well does it work and do you like it. Thanks
    Tony

I've had one for couple of years. It's a plate that goes between the shieves mine wasn't called the Bulldog, there's at least two outfits selling them now. They work really well, hands free, although they work better with soft lay rope and yellow floating line works too.

I bought one and used it last season, I'm totally happy with mine. Sure saves my back, no longer have to hold the line tight, just let it do it's thing.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Quote Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
    I've had one for couple of years. It's a plate that goes between the shieves mine wasn't called the Bulldog, there's at least two outfits selling them now. They work really well, hands free, although they work better with soft lay rope and yellow floating line works too.
    The Bulldog attachment is not a plate that goes between the sheaves. It is a addon unit that has a spring loaded friction wheel and a line peeler. The wheel is forced against the line (thus creating the drag for it to self pull) and the peeler ejects the line from the sheaves. You do skip the last pulley wheel on the bottom. And agreed it will work much better with the limp line Steve carries.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Whats happens if its blowing or you get hung down ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Who goes fishing when the wind blows?

I would imagine less then the Electrodyne Steve. From what you have said the ED will rip the pot off the bottom or break the line without even breathing hard.

If mine gets hung up and the Ace can't clear it I just tie off to a cleat and let the boat pull it free (either way I imagine the pot and or bridle will be destroyed)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

A few years back I was using an Ace puller in a 15-20 kt wind. It reluctantly pulled the pots, but I ended up bending the arm right where it pins to the main part of the frame. Ace replaced the entire puller free of charge...including expedited shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I would imagine less then the Electrodyne Steve. From what you have said the ED will rip the pot off the bottom or break the line without even breathing hard.

If mine gets hung up and the Ace can't clear it I just tie off to a cleat and let the boat pull it free (either way I imagine the pot and or bridle will be destroyed)
    No matter what hauler a guy has on the boat its the right thing to do when hung to cleat off and try to tow it off but with all the stretch in the rope it can get interesting in a hurry once you get off the power and the boat goes backwards !! I had my stern 1/2 way under water once like in Jaws.
    I'm sure the ace is only using friction to pull with they don't grab the rope like the ED's do.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

We have the Ace Line Pot Puller with the Bulldog attachment. LOVE IT. We don't have to hand assist the pot line anymore. The only problem we have currently, is that the pot puller is mounted in a weird spot so we can't put a basket/bucket/catch-all directly below it so the "auto-coil" feature doesn't really work for us. But, being able to sit on a cooler in front of a basket and gently direct it is way better than one person assisting and the other coiling.

Thanks guys gonna pick one up. I don't mind if it's slow. I love the size of the ace it's not a speed demon but it's pulled all of my crab and shrimp pots faithfully with no issues this attachment should make it even nicer. Just wanted to make sure it worked as advertised

Are folks still satisfied with their Ace Line Haulers? Is the 'updated' ("33% more power") model an improvement?

Seems like the general consensus is that ED and Safe-T are superior, but Ace is a good product at a much lower price point.

http://acelinehauler.com

I started with a Honda and that was fantastic. A friend of mine tried to pull mine one day with his Ace and the **** thing was so slow that I told him to stop, I'd come back out. Once again, my friend tried to pull a five pot string of mine and the Ace would not do it. I now have a SafeT puller and I like it a lot. It is fast enough and will pull four pots. Has a foot switch which is handy. Another friend has a Discovery Bay. I haven't heard how it pulls yet but it is just, wrap the line around and stand back. He might see this post and chime in.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

I have no doubt that ED and Safe-T are far superior. But for my limited PWS trips, in my open skiff, Ace seems like a good fit. If it will do the job (albeit slowly) and have the quality to last.

Dbush, was your friend's ACE the newer model? Their website says "New for 2017"

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Are folks still satisfied with their Ace Line Haulers? Is the 'updated' ("33% more power") model an improvement?

Seems like the general consensus is that ED and Safe-T are superior, but Ace is a good product at a much lower price point.

http://acelinehauler.com
    It is faster and more powerful motor on the Brutus vs older versions.
    The edyne is a buy-it-once tool that is well worth the cost if your in it for the “long haul”.
    The smaller pot pullers have their place though and your skiff is likely a perfect fit for this application.
    Either way, your shrimping!
    Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by fuhrerak View Post
    Dbush, was your friend's ACE the newer model? Their website says "New for 2017"
    I have never asked him the age of the unit. If you are only pulling a couple pots a year the Ace will be a cheap get-it-done unit. I started out pulling 4 pots by hand for a few years. Not that hard to do. It was just a matter of rocking the boat. When the boat side goes down, pull up, then on the up swing the boat helps pull the pots up.

I do shrimp a little more than most. From the opener I pull every 2-3 days until mid July. That includes 2-3 trips to the honey hole and pulling 3 times a day. So a good quality, fast puller is essential to me.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-09-2020 at 07:14.

Patriot Life Member NRA

come and see me for whatever you'll need for shrimping, my folding (fold flat) pots will store easily on your open skiff.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

come and see me for whatever you'll need for shrimping, my folding (fold flat) pots will store easily on your open skiff.
    Is Potbuilder going to be at the boat show in Anchorage?

Patriot Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Is Potbuilder going to be at the boat show in Anchorage?

Sorry i won't be at the boat show but i will be in my usual stall in Boeke 1 At the Great Alaskan Sportsman Show. I'll have some of my new parlor style shrimp pots at the show as well the other shrimp vacuums i build.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I have used a ACE for 2 years with the hands free, which works great, I have had a lot of issues with the puller and the company has bent over backwards with customer service.
    Intially it was motor and wiring issues, continuously blowing (40A) fuses, the problem is the wire gauge is to light, then they use a switch supposedly rated at 20 A but had 14ga leads...!

What happens is this wiring and the switch become the fuse.

I have #10 to the puller which should be adequate as the puller typically pulls about 28-32 A. The switch box got hot and melted and the end cap on the motor also got hot. They replaced with same and same issues. Eventually they sent me a larger motor, I replaced the switch with a properly rated rotary switch and wired to the motor with #10.

This was after several pullers and parts went back and forth. Now I have the wiring/motot resolved... however now stripping the plastic gears in the gear box... have replaced several.. all under warranty. Finally they sent some "more robust" gears... also plastic which I haven't tested yet. Also have a spare gear. They need to be metal.

If problems persist I may change the gearbox... I have been reluctant to post this before as the company has bent over backwards to help, beyond their stated warranty.

I would love to have ED and may do so in the future, however the boat is small and the size and overall design (concept) of the ACE is great for a rec shrimper.

The number one issue IMO is connecting to downrigger wiring, which is typically too light for the amp draw that I see on my boat, pulling with motor running, the plastic gears and lightweight switch is next.... I cannot believe more people dont have these issues, I recognize it is a lightweight unit and try not to abuse the equipment. I always pull and use the motor to lessen the pull on the puller as much as possible... still **** happens and sometimes quickly...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast