X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Akres
    replied
    Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
    The only thing that surprises me is that this thread is still be pounded.....If you dont like the mods or the site....LEAVE....Nobody forced you to come here....Nobody is forcing you to stay.....
    It's the Alaskan Thing...If you don't like it...Change it!!!

Leave a comment:

• alaskachuck
    replied
    The only thing that surprises me is that this thread is still be pounded.....If you dont like the mods or the site....LEAVE....Nobody forced you to come here....Nobody is forcing you to stay.....

Leave a comment:

• fullbush
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't know which post you're referring to specifically, but no, that kind of post would not be OK. While we do our best to delete/edit posts that fall outside of our forum rules, sometimes we miss a few. For that, I apologize, and I also ask that people bring those to our attention so that we can take action.
    I apologize for all my in-discretionary remarks in the last year since I've been a member. I have myself on iggy if it makes you all feel any better. (edited) As far as the mods go I dig all of em because they put up w/ me and let me participate and that means the world to me.. I love all the members on here even though most of you annoy me. I thank each and every one of you
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-06-2011, 17:03.

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    Originally posted by wldboar
    I guess when I found a post/ comment offensive about a member who is no longer here, talking about size of breasts, etc. That was ok. Give me a break.
    I don't know which post you're referring to specifically, but no, that kind of post would not be OK. While we do our best to delete/edit posts that fall outside of our forum rules, sometimes we miss a few. For that, I apologize, and I also ask that people bring those to our attention so that we can take action.

Leave a comment:

• COtoAK
    replied
    I think that all of us can agree that we have had the love/hate relationship with AOD. Love to be here. Hate to be here. Love to be here again. It's simply because we all have an emotional attachment to what ultimately brought us all together in the first place: The Outdoors.

Lots of emotions tied to this thread. I am going to take a little bit of time to completely respond to this one, but it won't be in this post. I'll take a break sometime today to fully organize my response and post it when I have a chance if the thread is not locked when I have a moment to respond.

It wasn't my intention for it to become a Mods vs. Members conversation or debate.
    It's still a recommendation that I want to stick with. I think that we should still have this option and I believe that it's a good recommendation.

I think it's obvious and evident that it's a controversial one. One that could very well change the direction of this board, but in a positive light in my personal opinion. That's why I made the recommendation and I'll stand by the recommendation.

I think, on behalf of all the members on this board, that we should have the option to put a Moderator on our Ignore Feature if we so choose to do so. It's obvious now that I am not the only member that feels that we should have this option and that's why it was necessary to post this in forum tips so that the people of this board can see and view the different perspectives of this particular topic.

Ultimately, we all want to see improvement on this board.
    Maybe it would be in our best interest to lock this thread since it's original intent has been altered?

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    Originally posted by Akres View Post
    Very well Old Boy...
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about. That was much better! :topjob::topjob:

Leave a comment:

• Akres
    replied
    Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Or at least reading glasses. That post had nothing to do with me, except my viewing preferences, which have nothing to do with those you seem to compare me with.

It would at least have been funny if you'd have done it with a British accent. :shot:
    Very well Old Boy...Are now declaring that you are not or never have been engaged in the 'fine art' of Hunter Education Instruction? What say you?...Nave

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    time to break for a good pair of bifocals res

Or at least reading glasses. That post had nothing to do with me, except my viewing preferences, which have nothing to do with those you seem to compare me with.

It would at least have been funny if you'd have done it with a British accent. :shot:

Leave a comment:

• Akres
    replied
    - a cop, who can get shot up, beat up, and merely getting sniped at can be their best day all week. They serve the public, even the ones sniping, shooting and beating them up.

- a fireman, who endures many many personal dangers for us, also risking life and limb.

- even a hunter ed instructor, who volunteers their time helping the sport of hunting (vs. helping a for profit site, for free) and gets sniped at pretty regularly by pre-teens with smart mouths.
    Geezuss FM,
    Comparing yourself to a Cop..A Fireman
    I am reminded of when JMG compared himself to a Heart Surgeon...Too Funny...Snot coming out my nose here!!! Tears running down my cheeks!!!
    Last edited by Akres; 04-05-2011, 23:27. Reason: Can't Stop Laughing..Came back to add the Laughing Face Icons.

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    mods ain't gods

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    To be honest I don't know the race of all of our mods, and never gave it much thought.
    Yes, as I said, I hadn't either until it was said in black and white on this thread.

Originally posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Finally, I must admit to some disappointment that some would want to block our mods at all. Perhaps they have no idea what it is like to volunteer your time to a community of people, most of whom you've never met, and to routinely have certain elements of that community snipe at you while you remain silent. My hat is off to the entire crew of them for their 24x7 tireless efforts
    First of all, I agree that your team of mods do an excellent job of keeping this board clean of spam and some of the really nasty stuff that clogs most of the Internet. I'll take my hat off to them too.

That being said, and with all due respect, your reasoning does seem just a tad self centered. Compare the service-given between of of your mods and:

- a cop, who can get shot up, beat up, and merely getting sniped at can be their best day all week. They serve the public, even the ones sniping, shooting and beating them up.

- a fireman, who endures many many personal dangers for us, also risking life and limb.

- even a hunter ed instructor, who volunteers their time helping the sport of hunting (vs. helping a for profit site, for free) and gets sniped at pretty regularly by pre-teens with smart mouths.

The comparison I make between these three types of people, and mods, is not to compare their contribution to society (that difference is pretty darned clear I think).

My point is that among these three groups of people (cop/fireman/instructor), though they sacrifice their own time for others and get sniped at or worse much more than a mod does, even they have a few in their ranks that I'd like to ignore/block; as much as they contribute to the rest of us, a few of them are pretty screwed up people.

So how the heck can it be that surprising or disappointing that a mod or two here might present a persona that one or more of your members might not want to experience? Vbulletin built the ignore feature because they thought that on the Internet the viewing experience can be enhanced if the viewer has this control to block certain individuals (that are expressing personal opinions, not performing moderator duties) and I think they're right.

Mike, I'm not sniping at you when I say this; just responding quite seriously and frankly to your serious and frank post.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Strahan
    replied
    ...the reason this seems so funny right now is that I really hadn't noticed, but it does seem that all the mods are white American males. No females, no natives, no black, asian, aussie or other that I'm aware of...
    To be honest I don't know the race of all of our mods, and never gave it much thought. I have native friends who look white, and white friends who look native. So I guess it's possible we could have a variety of racial backgrounds represented.

As to gender, Icebear is our female moderator and we are currently placing one more but we're not ready to announce it yet. Icebear has been with this company since it started 12 years ago. Many of our mods are "old fashioned" when it comes to protecting women (my personal belief is that men are responsible to protect and honor women). So we are pretty careful to nuke things that are inappropriate and that she would find offensive. As a young man I was taught that there were certain things you did not say or do in the presence of women and I still believe those principles. I think some of our other mods share that value. I know our society has changed in this area, but I don't believe that is a good thing.

I suppose lines could be drawn just about anywhere and false conclusions made about where those lines ended up. But that's just how it ended up, it has noting to do with selecting people that met certain demographic, gender, political, social or gender profiles. At all.

You can believe that or not, but in the end, if you are reading these words, you are here because you chose to be here. And you are most welcome to continue to stay.

Finally, I must admit to some disappointment that some would want to block our mods at all. Perhaps they have no idea what it is like to volunteer your time to a community of people, most of whom you've never met, and to routinely have certain elements of that community snipe at you while you remain silent. My hat is off to the entire crew of them for their 24x7 tireless efforts in keeping this place clean of spam, removing inappropriate language and photos you (hopefully) would not want your children to see, and trying to bring peace out of conflict. It's often a thankless job and they do it consistently, every day, and for the most part with great skill. Yes, they make mistakes on occasion, but I would not want to replace a single one of them. We all owe them a debt of gratitude.

Regards,

-Mike

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    Originally posted by Amigo Will View Post
    As I see it we have two mods that do 99% of all actions and their cloth is the exact same. They interpret words and ideas 100% to their line of thinking and if not their way its deleted.There are treads that the only replys are those that are the same as their view and all other replys deleted makeing it look like the oringal post is what everyone thinks is right. I will say that one of them seems to be looking better at the whole but one for sure could only have any power in the cyber world
    In all honesty, I'm not sure who you're talking about in the above comment. If that is indeed happening, please let me know more about what you're seeing privately. Our moderators are tasked with enforcing the forum rules. Sometimes there are shades of gray and judgment calls that come along with the task, but they are not asked to edit threads to reinforce certain points of view. Though we're all guilty of bias, we honestly do try to be as fair and even-handed as possible. I know that personally I can look around the forum and see countless threads that advocate positions that I am in complete opposition to. I imagine the same is true of the other moderators. If there is more to this that I'm not seeing, though, please send me a PM.

Leave a comment:

• Amigo Will
    replied
    We may have a psuedo Link but thank God he is not a Huggy Bear

Leave a comment:

• FamilyMan
    replied
    Originally posted by rambling raven View Post
    Holy crap we now have to be a minority or the correct religious denomination to volunteer

If you don't like the mods or the rules shut the computer off
    Somebody needs a great big hug...

Leave a comment:

• Rock_skipper
    replied
    What dose it take to be a mod?

Is it ?

Is it ?

Is it ?

You want to police this site fill in the blanks.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X