Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Webmaster: what about using the reputation feature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CanCanCase
    replied
    Reputation feature thoughts...

I've had quite a bit of experience with vBulletin forums recently. Most mods don't enable the reputation feature because it CAN become very negative VERY quickly. One good implementation I've seen can be found at www.cruiselinefans.com - They call reputation points "Frubals" and I don't believe users can take frubals away...only give. Depending how many frubals and posts a user has, affects how many frubals they can give at one time and per day.

Eventually some long time posters have a ridiculous number of frubals (millions) and some that don't care to "play" with the system have very few. It can lead to some interesting threads with folks literally begging for frubals, and it's as much a social thing as anything.

Personally, I subscribe to the reading-the-posters-other-posts method to determine credibility, but it is a nice ego boost to have someone give you 1000 frubals when you make a good point in a debate or give some particularly useful information.

-Case

Leave a comment:

• Webmaster
    replied
    I think I'll wait on the reputation feature

At this point, I think I'll wait on the reputation feature, but I'm not dead set against it for future deployment. There are some other things we're working on, and this one is going to be on the back burner for a while.

One of the projects we are working on that is now nearing completion is a revised webshop. I'm really impressed by this shop. It's going to make it a lot easier for those of you who are looking for Alaska books and video. We're carrying OVER 100 items already, some of which you won't find anywhere else on the web.

Our current webshop has all of these 100+ products, but has some limitations that the new shop blows right through. I'll post a note when it's operational.

David

Leave a comment:

• 4whlr
    replied
    homerdave

yes they do, it all relates back to the spelchecker... And I don't thenk it's very funny joke...

Leave a comment:

• homerdave
    replied
    4whlr

profiling only has one "l", and towel has an "e" in it.
    yeah, and he came unto the forum, and his name was "SPELLCHECK"
    dave (formerly ethics police)

<joke guys...a joke>

Leave a comment:

• 4whlr
    replied
    profilling

Allen,

Isn't profilling illegal anyway? That's why the TSA can't search everyone with a towl on their head...

Leave a comment:

• GreginAlaska
    replied
    Originally posted by homerdave View Post
    is there a spell check option?
    some of us could use it!!!
    I secund thate! HA!

Leave a comment:

• AlleninAlaska
    replied
    I don't have a life, therefore I don't have a profile. :-)

Leave a comment:

• WinMag
    replied
    right on HOMERD

often when i see a post from a "new member" i check their profile...when no additional info is posted i am unlikely to respond directly..
    c'mon guys (and gals) where do you live, what do you do? what are your other interests?
    you don't share.....i won't either...
    Hey good point.... I have meant to update my profile since this new forum started... Now done.. Thanks for the reminder.
    Last edited by WinMag; 10-25-2006, 18:20. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• jeff p
    replied
    neg reps

I think if neg reps was to get out of hand its not to hard to control I believe there are limits that can be set along with mod control over this software. It would most likely cause a little more work for the mods but could also be usefull to users. Nice to see a little discussion about it.

Leave a comment:

• homerdave
    replied
    and another thing...

often when i see a post from a "new member" i check their profile...when no additional info is posted i am unlikely to respond directly..
    c'mon guys (and gals) where do you live, what do you do? what are your other interests?
    you don't share.....i won't either...

Leave a comment:

• WinMag
    replied
    Rank Reputation

I can see both sides of this issue. I can easily see it becoming a game to some.

When I view a post from someone with whom I'm unfamiliar, I just "view all posts" by that individual. I think a tremendous amount can be deciphered by their posts alone.

If there is a legitimate way to assign, regulate and update rankings or reputations then I think it could be utilized. Whether or not it's actually helpful or needed... I don't think so.

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    Awhile back another forum I am on used rankings or User Reputation. I felt the maturity level of the forum as a whole wasnt as high as this one, and the ranking feature turned into a turd storm real fast. The feature was disabled after a couple of weeks. Naturally some people do not get along on these forums, so it would be tempting to destroy their user reputation with just a few clicks of a button. I can see nothing but problems and a full pm box of complaints when webmaster logs on.

It is an interesting idea and would work well if everyone was honest about ranking other members. But is that really going to happen? I doubt it.

Leave a comment:

• jeff p
    replied
    I guess I should slow down when I type ...lol

Leave a comment:

• Webmaster
    replied
    Good idea

Good idea, Dave. Turns out there are some hacks available for this. I'll put it on the list of features to add. Thanks!

David

Leave a comment:

• homerdave
    replied
    while you are at it...

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X