limits of politics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question limits of politics?

While looking through the GD forum I was wondering if there was any way we could get a description or definition of what is considered politics?

Originally posted by big_dog60 View Post
    While looking through the GD forum I was wondering if there was any way we could get a description or definition of what is considered politics?
    It's whatever they say it is
    Apparently state politics may float depending who you are...like increasing hunting and fishing Tags/licensing fees on redistributed state funds..ect
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them." Paul Valery.

I know the above quote does not answer your question "...description or definition of what is considered politics?" or define what happened to ban 'politics and religion' discussions on this forum but it does define 'politics' pretty well imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Buster View Post
        Apparently state politics may float depending who you are...like increasing hunting and fishing Tags/licensing fees on redistributed state funds..ect
        Despite your accusations of favortism, we've been quite clear from the start that discussion of fish and game management is most welcome in those specific forums. It has nothing to do with who you are.

Give it a rest, please.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know that a black-and-white definition is possible. We recognize that there is going to be some gray areas here, and when something is questionable we'll try to deal with it in a respectful manner.

Perfecting the new system will take patience and grace on both sides.

Comment

I know it is a difficult thing, but I was hoping for some sort of guidlines. With some of the recent accusations, I was wondering if we needed some sort of guide.

Comment

A good politician can weave his way through the maze
              "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
              ~ John Quincy Adams

Comment

Mine
                His
                Unfortunately, I don't know that a black-and-white definition is possible. We recognize that there is going to be some gray areas here, and when something is questionable we'll try to deal with it in a respectful manner.
                Sounds like the answer I gave but with more PC
                "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Comment

So since it can't be defined is there a way to get the ok for posting a subject?

Comment

So since it can't be defined is there a way to get the ok for posting a subject?
                    If it's questionable I would PM Brian M.... or it might bite you in the butt later.

Comment

Originally Posted by big_dog60
                      Politics:

–noun (used with a singular or plural verb)
                      1. the science or art of political government.
                      2. the practice or profession of conducting political affairs.
                      3. political affairs: The advocated reforms have become embroiled in politics.
                      4. political methods or maneuvers: We could not approve of his politics in winning passage of the bill.
                      5. political principles or opinions: We avoided discussion of religion and politics. His politics are his own affair.
                      6. use of intrigue or strategy in obtaining any position of power or control, as in business, university, etc.
                      7. (initial capital letter, italics) a treatise (4th century b.c.) by Aristotle, dealing with the structure, organization, and administration of the state, esp. the city-state as known in ancient Greece.

—Idiom

8. play politics. a. to engage in political intrigue, take advantage of a political situation or issue, resort to partisan politics, etc.; exploit a political system or political relationships.
                      b. to deal with people in an opportunistic, manipulative, or devious way, as for job advancement.
                      Ultimately, I think Buster is correct:

Originally posted by Bear Buster View Post
                      It's whatever they say it is ........

Comment

Originally posted by AVALANCHE View Post
                        "Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them." Paul Valery.
                        Diplomacy is the art of letting other people get your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                          Is that your quote or from another source....regardless I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by AVALANCHE View Post
                            Originally Posted by Mark
                            Is that your quote or from another source....regardless I like it.
                            It's from an inspirational poster I have in my garage. Author unknown.

Comment

Under a definition like that many controvercial things would be fair game. Since I think the intent of the politics and religion ban is to bring civility to the forum, I suspect that controvercial subjects such as global warming would also be looked at unfavorably. but where the line is drawn seems a bit questionable.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X