Search Engine...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Engine...

A member was having a hard time finding a particular thread. I helped him out but, like him, had zero success using the search button.

Here's the thread in question:

He was searching for a thread on calling cards. First, I searched calling cards under the general discussion sub-forum and came up with nothing. Next I tried just "calling" and just "card(s)" but came up with nothing. I then clicked the search button between "New Posts" and "Quick Links" and still nothing. The thread he was looking for had the words "Calling card" in it. I found it but luckily I had posted in that thread and searched for all my last posts and had to sift through a lot of pages. I am wondering what, if anything, I am doing wrong or is it just a so-so (at best) search engine?
    The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
    sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

I do believe that we have it set up so that the threads from General Discussion are not found in search engines such as Google, etc. I think the same thing is true for our internal search engine as well. Other than the GD (and trapping?) forums, however, the search engine has always worked well for me.

Comment

Ok, thanks Brian. That would explain it...
      The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
      sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

I tried searching today using the search "tiger+mine" hoping to find information about Tiger Mine Trail and the search engine came up with just about every recent thread in the forum. Opening a few of the threads that had titles which could have no possible link to my search revealed no matching terms in the thread. Search no worky!!!
        "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Comment

Google does a pretty good job of indexing the forum. If you use this string in the Google search box, you will get what Google has...which is nothing, in this case, but you can see how it works:

site:forums.outdoorsdirectory.com "tiger mine"

site:forums.outdoorsdirectory.com tells Google to ONLY look in this URL
          "tiger mine" tells Google to search for that exact combination of words, and nothing else.

David

Comment

I have been having the same problem with the search function since switching servers. Anytime I try a search I get all the recent post and nothing relevant.
            http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X