Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Private Messages really "private"???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are Private Messages really "private"???

    Was using google.com to look for gear that I intend to purchase and a link came up with an ODD address for the product being discussed. Wouldn't you know that it was a private messge sent from an ODD member to yours truly!! While that might put some of us in the momentary spotlight...it shed some light on the things being "private".

    Not a bash or anything against the way things are being handled here David, I was just suprised is all.

    Joshua

  • #2
    WRUT WRO!!

    THAT is a frightening thought....

    To all of you googlers out there....Keep in mind the comments contained in ANY wayward PM's of MINE you come across where meant to be said behind your back ONLY! :eek:
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

    Comment


    • #3
      Not happy...

      I'm NOT happy about this at all.

      Can you send me the link, Joshua?

      David

      Originally posted by BucknRut View Post
      Was using google.com to look for gear that I intend to purchase and a link came up with an ODD address for the product being discussed. Wouldn't you know that it was a private messge sent from an ODD member to yours truly!! While that might put some of us in the momentary spotlight...it shed some light on the things being "private".

      Not a bash or anything against the way things are being handled here David, I was just suprised is all.

      Joshua

      Comment


      • #4
        Also not pleased PM's are just that private!
        BHA Member
        Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
        The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

        Comment


        • #5
          Really concerned

          I am really, really concerned about this. Can anyone send me a Google search string that returns search results that point to the contents of a private message?

          I have tried to replicate this condition by searching on unique strings in the template text of private messages, and then confining the search to this website. No success so far.

          Not saying you are wrong, Joshua....just want to see it myself so we can plug the hole.

          Thanks....David
          Last edited by Webmaster; 05-25-2007, 22:28.

          Comment


          • #6
            I have tried to replicate this condition by searching on unique strings in the template text of private messages, and then confining the search to this website. No success so far.
            I tried to duplicate the private message showing up in google as well, and I couldnt get any of my privates to show.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              WG - We don't really want to see your privates......
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              Bill Hicks

              Comment


              • #8
                Now thats funny................thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok

                  Originally posted by webmaster View Post
                  I'm NOT happy about this at all.

                  Can you send me the link, Joshua?

                  David
                  No problem David, I will try to search for it again. Sorry for the late reply, I hadn't checked this lately.
                  Joshua

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Alright David, I located it using google.com. When I click on the link (search result) it takes me right to the PM. So what link do you want? Actually, I will shoot you an email.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Okay...I'm and Idiot!!

                      I have my ODD account let to "keep me logged in" (or whatever it reads), I thought (something I should do more often apparently) for a minute that "my computer is set to automatically log me in...I wonder? I logged out of ODD, tried clicking on the search result again and NO GO! Oops! I could still click on the link, but I had to sign in order for me to be allowed to view it.

                      David, I will still send you the info via email just to be sure. Sorry to stir the mud and for putting you on the edge of your chair! I'm glad a few of you got a good laugh out of this!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        MutterMutterMutter

                        Can we start throwing things at Josh now David? <grin>

                        I was typing all kinds of keyword searches into google trying to see if I got any access to other members PM's...(even tried "AlaskaHippie/scumbag/jerk/liberal ilk" all to no avail)..heheheh..DERN!!!

                        Weird tho' Josh, I keep my setting as "keep me logged on" and still couldn't find, much less access, in of my PM's via Google....
                        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
                        "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Let the slingin begin!

                          Originally posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
                          I was typing all kinds of keyword searches into google trying to see if I got any access to other members PM's...(even tried "AlaskaHippie/scumbag/jerk/liberal ilk" all to no avail)..heheheh..DERN!!!

                          Weird tho' Josh, I keep my setting as "keep me logged on" and still couldn't find, much less access, in of my PM's via Google....
                          LMAO!!! Well Hippie, at least you doing something constructive for once
                          hahaha...still Laughing out loud at your search words! Too danged funny!

                          Not sure...maybe I should go play the lottery! For me to strike my own while there are zillions of other searches going on has got to be pure luck. This is not normal for me... I better go check the moon, I'll bet it's blue...I take that back, I think my luck has done ran out...I'm going to duck now!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Google Desktop?

                            It's still interesting to me that you are able to see even your own PM's in Google search results.

                            Do you have Google desktop? If so, that would explain it, because it would be sifting through your history files.

                            David

                            Originally posted by BucknRut View Post
                            I have my ODD account let to "keep me logged in" (or whatever it reads), I thought (something I should do more often apparently) for a minute that "my computer is set to automatically log me in...I wonder? I logged out of ODD, tried clicking on the search result again and NO GO! Oops! I could still click on the link, but I had to sign in order for me to be allowed to view it.

                            David, I will still send you the info via email just to be sure. Sorry to stir the mud and for putting you on the edge of your chair! I'm glad a few of you got a good laugh out of this!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Maybe?

                              Originally posted by webmaster View Post
                              It's still interesting to me that you are able to see even your own PM's in Google search results.

                              Do you have Google desktop? If so, that would explain it, because it would be sifting through your history files.

                              David
                              hmmm...Not sure what you are refering to on the google desktop?? I have the google toolbar across the top of my screen, maybe that is what you are referring to? If so, then yes, that would explain it. Not sure.
                              Joshua

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X