X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd,

You can't be serious

Everything you just said is BS.

Get some rest man. You are representing yourself poorly in that post. I know you to be a far greater gentlemen than this.

Looks like I struck a nerve with a Nikon guy. Like I said, Ford vs Chevy...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
      Floyd,

You can't be serious

Everything you just said is BS.

Get some rest man. You are representing yourself poorly in that post. I know you to be a far greater gentlemen than this.

Looks like I struck a nerve with a Nikon guy. Like I said, Ford vs Chevy...
      So says a guy who has owned how many SLR's, and used them for how many months?

It isn't BS. Incidentally I own more Pentax cameras that Nikons.

Comment

Still there?

Steeliekingfisher?

1. Do cameras still have remote shutter release? For some kinds of photos, pre-positioning the camera on a tripod if you know where your subject will be can be one option in lieu of the spendy optics needed to pull game in close.

2. Consumer Reports not long ago recommended Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, $370 and Kodak (yep) EasyShare Z1012 IS, $240 for their long zoom feature.

Not sure what kind of pics you had in mind. RayfromAK makes some strong visual arguments. If you're inclined to consider his suggestion - seems like he'd be worth a PM to research his suggestion more carefully before committing.

CNET used to list places and prices for electronics - some of which ought to be reputable: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/?tag=hdr;snav

Also, keep Doug at CameraLand in mind - seems to have quite a few satisfied AOD customers and has been willing to offer suggestions too in the past. Good ones apparently!

Best of luck.
        No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

6Xleech makes some good points.

Like I said in my first post here, the new point and shoots are really impressive and would sure be easier to carry around than a DSLR with lenses. Not to mention much, much, less expensive. Certainly worth looking into before pulling the trigger on a DSLR. Lots of choices out there. A double edged sword of sorts. Makes it that much harder to decide.

Whatever you do, just be sure to get a Canon

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...S_Digital.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
            Nobody said he wants or should get a "waterproof camera". I'm saying the weather proofing on Canon cameras is virtually non-existant, but is fairly good on even the consumer level Nikons and is excellent of the pro level models.
            But that does not make all of those cameras equal. Nor do most of us spend months at a time on Admiralty Island (which puts him in a vastly different environment than you or I or others like us who live in a desert).

If that were true, nobody would ever buy the pro models. In fact, as I noted, a Nikon D2x has excellent weather proofing and is far more versatile (for example a better viewfinder and much more rugged) that the Canon models you've cited.

As I noted, generally these things don't necessarily make much difference at all, but on occasion it really does, and the OP's description of what he'll do suggests it is one of those occasions.
            Are you implying that there aren't photographers in Admiralty Island using but water-resistant cameras? Are these folks using only Nikon cameras?

My points still stand: right here in this forum several of us use Canon cameras, while others use Nikon. I am willing to bet that most of us use our cameras while hunting, snow-machining, hiking, canoeing, boating, while snowing, at the campsite, to take photos of wildlife, sports, sometimes by the sea, etc. All you have to do is to look at the photos being posted, as some are taken in all sorts of environments or situations. Well...not underwater as far as I can tell.

If the OP is considering a camera for outdoors photography, wildlife, etc., then any of the cameras mentioned here (the ones all of us use each day), could very well be what he is looking for. He can do that with a Canon camera, a Nikon, Pentax, Sony, and even with a point and shoot camera as the ones mentioned by others in this forum.

And yes, what makes a good photo isn't the camera, but the person behind it. It does not matter if the camera is water proof, water resistant, point and shoot, etc. If you look at the most famous photos around the world, a lot are from folks that are long gone. Do you really believe that those old cameras were water-resistant? If you look at the professional photographers taking photos at sporting (water skying, surfing, etc.), you will notice that most of the cameras use white-color lenses.

You like Nikon, and I like Canon. That's all there is to it.

Comment

Originally posted by RayfromAK View Post

And yes, what makes a good photo isn't the camera, but the person behind it.

And if that person should happen to be standing behind a Canon, even better ha ha ha....

Comment

Hi. Yes still here. Been busy and have not had tons of time to type, just get in read what people had to say and moved on to the next chore. Multi tasking!!

Anyway, thanks for the tips and keep them coming.

Yes, as stated correctly by a poster, something I missed to state, weather is a factor. My guiding job puts me in the field from April through October. 7 days a week. After that, its clearing the trapline for snowshoeing and setting base camp, trail camps and so on. This new camera will be with me at all times.

I want to look at the body, lens set up, for as I get better and as I learn to shoot better I can move up to newer lens for longer shots and work my way into it. I set my price at this for it will get me started. I am not looking to be a pro, my lively hood is guiding and trapping. I just want a nice set up to learn on and have some pictures to show on here after I come in from moose camp or a 2 month trap line on Admiralty Island in the wilderness.

I know some cameras are betters than others and so far the input has been educational and entertaining alike, thanks, exactly what I wanted from this. I also know that I am new at this, so spending big bucks to get a good picture isn't my goal, hell I can print them off here for free, and most are better than I ever will produce. You guys do some cool stuff on here with your cameras by the way. I just want to have better than point and shoot but not what the guys on outdoor life are using. Maybe some day, but not until I learn.

Plus, I may not enjoy it, I may break the first one and say thats to expensive a sport for me, I may love it, only time will tell. But I have to set the budget somewhere. Do any of you know how much a divorce and moving to Alaska cost, I could tell you. PRICELESS!!!!!!
                Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Comment

Originally posted by RayfromAK View Post
                  Are you implying that there aren't photographers in Admiralty Island using but water-resistant cameras? Are these folks using only Nikon cameras?
                  If you don't know the difference between water-resistant cameras and a discussion of weather proofing there wasn't much point in continuing with the rest of your article.
                  My points still stand: right here in this forum several of us use Canon cameras, while others use Nikon.
                  That is a valid point, but the conclusions you draw from it are illogical and worthless to the OP in this particular instance.
                  I am willing to bet that most of us use our cameras while hunting, snow-machining, hiking, canoeing, boating, while snowing, at the campsite, to take photos of wildlife, sports, sometimes by the sea, etc. All you have to do is to look at the photos being posted, as some are taken in all sorts of environments or situations. Well...not underwater as far as I can tell.
                  Wonderful... but it tells us absolutely nothing about how many camera failures occur, how many times people have to go without a camera for hours or even weeks while it either dries out or is sent in for repair.

There is also no indication of the distinction between people who spend a day outside and return to their safe warm home envornment and the needs of those who spend 4 weeks going from one cabin to another, whether the sky is pouring cats and dogs, snowing, or happens to be clear blue on a warm day.

I posted two URLs to articles showing what happens when a large enough number of cameras are taken out on such trips to get an idea what the differences are. Canon cameras were suffering 25% failure rates!

If we were talking about a weekend adventurer, it wouldn't be as important. If we were talking about a street photographer in an urban area, it would mean nothing. If we were talking about studio photography it would be rediculous. In those cases claiming your point stands might have a little truth... but in this instance it has none.

You can not serously be saying that is insignificant just because your camera hasn't failed you when you take pictures in a vastly less aggressive climate!
                  And yes, what makes a good photo isn't the camera, but the person behind it.
                  Who either knows his tools well, or will not be able to get the shots required. It may be true that a good photographer can make a great photograph with just any camera, but you are seriously mistaken if you think it can be of just any object. Given a random job assignment a good photography chooses the right tools carefully.
                  It does not matter if the camera is water proof, water resistant, point and shoot, etc.
                  Perhaps to a poor craftsman the tools are all the same.
                  If you look at the most famous photos around the world, a lot are from folks that are long gone. Do you really believe that those old cameras were water-resistant?
                  Virtually all of those famous photographers of years gone by, just like those of today, use the best tool available for the job. They are very critical of cameras and lenses.
                  If you look at the professional photographers taking photos at sporting (water skying, surfing, etc.), you will notice that most of the cameras use white-color lenses.
                  But what has that got to do with using a camera in the environment that the OP will be working in? Why is it necessary to throw in all these non-sequiturs rather than stick with logically related facts?
                  You like Nikon, and I like Canon. That's all there is to it.
                  Sure... unless you know your tools well, and can actually tell the difference!

Here are a few odd questions for you.
                  • Which has quieter shutters, Nikon or Canon?
                  • Which shows both RGB and Luminosity histograms at the same time?
                  • Which can adjust for more saturation with in camera processing?
                  • Which has auto ISO that doesn't work in program modes
                  • Which has slower AF in consumer grade lenses?
                  • Which can require AF lock before the shutter release operates?
                  • Which has a button for a build in manual?
                  • Which provides free software to upload custom curves?

These (and many other differences) are important to a real craftsman, and go totally unnoticed by people who merely provide emotional reasons for others to support their own previous buying decisions made without reason.

Comment

Proof is in the pudding...

Dear Floyd,

Quite a pedestal you have yourself perched on.

But the proof is in the pudding man.

While I generally appreciate the insights you share, I have not really seen any images from you here on the forum.

Ray and I have tons of images posted here for all to see. Where are yours? Surely a photographer of your stature has some eye candy floating around in that hard drive of yours. Post some images here for us to see.

Take the time to teach us a thing or two. We are all aspiring to get better and I think most all photographers feel this way.

Post some images below to inspire us.

After all, this is the PHOTOGRAPHY forum.

Below are a few random images to get things started. I will gladly take any constructive criticism. After all, this is the only DSLR I have owned, and I just got it a few months back.

Ray, put a few of those beautiful landscapes here as well.

Eddie, show me some macro or wildlife images below.

Maybe we can learn something from each other.

Comment

While I generally appreciate the insights you share, I have not really seen any images from you here on the forum.
                      Can you explain why you post pictures here, and why you think that should or would or even could apply to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
                        Can you explain why you post pictures here, and why you think that should or would or even could apply to me?

You are kidding again

Why do I post pictures??? It is the PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM !!!

Your kidding, right?

Post some pictures!

Show us what you got.

Comment

Shooting for the moon...

Here is a genuinely boring photograph with almost no redeaming value as far as art goes. It is technically inspiring though...

Comment

Why shoot for the moon?

You are kidding again
                            Dan, I'm not kidding in the slightest.

Why do I post pictures??? It is the PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM !!!
                            Sure, that makes this a valid place to post images, but the question is why do you post images in this or any other place where images can be posted? There are probably 10 to 100 times as many people who look at images here as there are people who post them. Why do you post instead of just look? And for every person who posts images there is at least some variation on why they post. Some want tips on how to improve, some want comments to boost their ego, some just want to share something that is special, some use them to illustrate technical points. The question is, why do you post images here?
                            Your kidding, right?

Post some pictures!

Show us what you got.
                            Do you understand yet?

Regardless, unless you are playing stupid on purpose it's a little silly to challenge me to post pictures. I've posted a fair number. I do it for basically two reasons. I'll post a picture to illustrate a point, and I'll post an image that is unusual in terms of offering something from Barrow that is not commonly seen elsewhere. It's also true that once in awhile I just really like a picture and post it just to share it with anyone who happens to like it, so I guess there are three reasons.

(See if you can figure out the point illustrated by the moon picture that I just posted? :-)

If you don't know exactly why you post pictures here, you really should think about it. It might help you choose what to post, and when.

Comment

I saw a guy

up at the state fair. He had a tattoo of .. can you believe this.....

This is just amazing to me that someone would get hung up on a brand name product that they would permanantly ink imbed their body...
                              What drives people to have so much passion for name brands?

The same mentality goes with 4 wheelers, guns, tools in your garage... the list goes on... Even with Camera's... and especially the glass,,,,,, ( How much "L" do you have in your bag?) lol....
                              I know a guy that feels that any tool in his garage that does not sport the "Snap on logo" is not worthy to spend the night in his tool chest....lol
                              and he is serious....
                              this is very confusing to me personally, as all of the things I have talked about are just name brand items that require some cash to take purchase of.... Its not like you invented it, or had to fight a war to protect it,, Because,,,,well its just stuff... they make more every day... work a few months and save and you can buy any brand....
                              and guess what.... the company selling and manufacturing that stuff could care less about the consumer except that they keep purchasing more of their products...,,do you think they have warranty because they have big hearts?.. think again... its because the competition offers a warranty in kind.... if they could get away with not offering any warranty service.. they would... they have customer service only because the market requires it,, not because they love you....they just love the money you spent on their product so they can stay in business...., competition drives these people..... not only on price and warranty, but it drives the R&D of the product, as they attempt to get the upper hand and garner more of the market.. you can thank good old fashioned competition for the quality of every product on the market today....
                              .. I wonder if that guy with the FORD tatoo thinks that FORD is as in love with Him, as he is with FORD....??
                              My point.. well... even though the guy at the State Fair is infactuated with Ford,... its his problem... and not mine.. and it would not be right for me or anyone else to put this fellow on the hot plate for the choice he made, especially as it has no real affect on anyone elses life...
                              .... if someone asks me what type of camera they should buy,, I am going to give them my best answer based on what I think I know.....
                              thats all I can do.... thats all any of us can do...
                              .. I had a life changing thing happen to me when I was about 12 years old... and not many days go by that I am not reminded of the following ...

when I was a youngster on the ranch,,, I had my favorites as far as horse breeds went..my favorite,, the "Quarter Horses"..
                              I used to bad mouth other breeds of horses,,,, I would say,, " those Arabians are worthless", those Morgans are knot heads" those Apalossa horses have big ugly heads"....Thoroughbreds can't turn around in a city block".... on and on..
                              One day a great horseman that I admired above all others... heard me takling trash about some other breeds of horses... he pulled me aside and said to me...
                              " Max, do you love horses?"..
                              I said " Well you know how much I love Horses Mr. Hurst".
                              He said,, " Max, I don't believe that you really love horses,,,,,, because a real horse lover, loves them all".

Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 03-04-2009, 09:17. Reason: add some stuff..
                              When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Comment

Why do I post pics here?

This is an interesting thread and the type of subject matter that I usually stay away from. I'm not big on giving out advise ...It's Just not me.

First off, I could care less about camera brands and water proof versus weather proof. I use Canon because my first SLR was a Canon AE1, a gift to me and since I knew the camera well, I have stayed with that brand. I have never had any problems with my Canon equipment, rain or shine as I am sure that most Nikon users have experienced the same. I will stay with Canon because I am familiar with it. (I shot outdoors in the cold last weekend at the Fur Rondy for a total of about 10-hours and the camera performed flawlessly.)

I really do enjoy viewing other peoples photos here on AODF ...Pro and or Beginner. Especially photos of Alaska.

Floyd_Davidson's question to danattherock got me thinking ...Why do I post images here?

I post pics here hoping for hints on how to improve, a little ego boost never hurts and yes, most of the time I want to share something that is, in my mind, really special.

Believe it or not, I do not know what level of photographer I really am. Should this really matter? People ask me if I am a professional photographer and I usually respond with "Nope, just a wanna be".

I asked one of the counter guys at Stewart's Photo in Anchorage last week if he could recommend someone, anyone who could critique my work and give me an honest opinion on where I am at this time in my life with my photography.

That's how unsure I am of my work. This is the main reason I do not give out advise unless someone is asking me personally.

And he didn't have an answer for me. HA!

Sooooo, I am not a Ford or Chevy guy at all. If it feels good behind the wheel, then I say, "Smoke the Tires".

That's me moto and am stickin' with it!

-E

Fur Rondy 2009
                                http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X