Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Common Redpoll

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Common Redpoll

    My son took a shot of me photographing a Common Redpoll up close. You get to see the shot from both of our angles. We must have spend four hours snapping shots of this tolerant bird as he was feeding along the embankment.



    I used the Canon 100mm Macro Lens
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

    http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


    "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

  • #2
    Wow! I never realized how close some folks get.

    Thanks to the both of you, great shots for sure!

    How about a quick tutorial on making the bird color, and the rest B&W?

    Comment


    • #3
      Same as Brian

      Tull, nice picture of picture. A very tolerant bird no less. I am like Brian, first thing I wanted to know is how you got the bird in color and the rest in Black and White? Thanks for showing and amazed you got that close. Mark

      Comment


      • #4
        Lariat in Photoshop...

        the lariat icon in photoshop can & will lasso pretty much anything you want on a photograph, & then make a layer, & put it aside, make another layer using the backgroud, & convert that to B&W & then move the colored redpoll into the B&W where the B&W redpoll is, should do the trick...

        it's all in the layers... :P

        Comment


        • #5
          My son used the Lasso Tool on the bird, chose "Invert" and changed the area outside of the bird to B&W. I am sure that there are better/other ways of doing it. Hope this helps. If you need more details just let me know.
          http://www.pbase.com/tull777

          http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


          "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

          Comment


          • #6
            More Redpoll photos ...

            Here are a few more shots of the same little bird ...







            http://www.pbase.com/tull777

            http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


            "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

            Comment


            • #7
              Great shots, and amazingly tolerant bird too.

              Another way to convert only part of a picture to B&W is to duplicate the image as a new layer, convert that layer to B&W, and then erase that layer where you want color to shine through.

              Yet another way is to create the same duplicate layer and turn it to B&W as above, but then create a mask to block out the upper layer where the bottom (color) is to show.

              Quite a few image programs will do this, not just Photoshop. Any program that does layers will do it (Elements, PaintShop Pro, etc). The advantage of using layers is that you can undo it anytime as your background layer is untouched. You can also use layers to reduce the effect by letting the B&W area have just a little color show through or even tinting it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Great shots Eddie (as usual). Thanks for posting.
                The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Very specials pics M. Fisher..... how did you do for keeping this bird so quiet during all this time....?
                  I gone to your PBase page, and look at the pics for 2 hours..... and don't finish..... really a good talent.....

                  Thank's for sharing,
                  Ghislain
                  Early to go to bed, and early to rise,
                  Make a man wealthy and wise...!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow...lucky you to be able to get so close. Very nice photos!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Very nice Pics, Nice Pics

                      Usually, if a Repoll acts the the way that one did, that bird has Salmonella. They get that this time of year. I have seen several in past years and they behaved just as this one did.
                      Calvin

                      We need a revolution to get this country back from the crooks. Abolish the IRS, Income Taxes, Federal Reserve, and "All" government handouts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jim Strutz View Post
                        Great shots, and amazingly tolerant bird too.

                        Another way to convert only part of a picture to B&W is to duplicate the image as a new layer, convert that layer to B&W, and then erase that layer where you want color to shine through.

                        Yet another way is to create the same duplicate layer and turn it to B&W as above, but then create a mask to block out the upper layer where the bottom (color) is to show.

                        Quite a few image programs will do this, not just Photoshop. Any program that does layers will do it (Elements, PaintShop Pro, etc). The advantage of using layers is that you can undo it anytime as your background layer is untouched. You can also use layers to reduce the effect by letting the B&W area have just a little color show through or even tinting it.
                        Thanks for that Jim, more info to add to the tool box.

                        Originally posted by danattherock View Post
                        Great shots Eddie (as usual). Thanks for posting.
                        Thanks Dan!

                        Originally posted by Abitibi101 View Post
                        Very specials pics M. Fisher..... how did you do for keeping this bird so quiet during all this time....?
                        I gone to your PBase page, and look at the pics for 2 hours..... and don't finish..... really a good talent.....

                        Thank's for sharing,
                        Ghislain
                        Honestly I assumed that the birds was ill. He seemed to be feeding just fine but was a bit sluggish. Thank you for checking out the photos.

                        Originally posted by RayfromAK View Post
                        Wow...lucky you to be able to get so close. Very nice photos!
                        We actually photographed him and other Redpolls over the next few days. Really a lot of fun!

                        Originally posted by bourbot View Post
                        Usually, if a Repoll acts the the way that one did, that bird has Salmonella. They get that this time of year. I have seen several in past years and they behaved just as this one did.
                        Interesting! He seemed to have the runs and took to sleeping about every ten minutes or so. Will they get better on their own or do they eventually die from the Salmonella? Thanks for sharing that info bourbot.
                        http://www.pbase.com/tull777

                        http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/


                        "If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X