Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fly4fish1
    replied
    I have used the Minox, and since this post is so old, I have looked through models that weren't even around way back in '06. I must say they do make a good scope and keep them in a good size. Who wants to cram a 20 inch, 6 pound scope into a back pack and climb up a mountain after sheep. Anyway, here is a link to a site that shows the best spotting scopes for hunting within all different price ranges: http://www.bestforhunting.com/?page_id=230

Leave a comment:

• 1911-MW
    replied
    Cool.. Nothing like the resurection of an old thread... : )

What about this one? (Minox MD 50 W)
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62225
    Anybody using this spotter?

Leave a comment:

• BrettAKSCI
    replied
    I have no idea. I have to stop in next week, so I'll ask around.

Brett

Leave a comment:

• knikglacier
    replied
    Barneys Website?

Brett,
    As long as I saw you post here, thought I'd ask, how the website is coming along at Barneys? Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• BrettAKSCI
    replied
    I believe it's either the 601 or 602. I haven't been in Barney's in a while. I believe Bob plans to get in one of their high end ones as well. We both want to check them out as they've had really good independant reviews. The Kowa 601/602 is a really nice for money super light weight spotting scope. It's comparable to the better Leupold/Nikon stuff. Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss is higher end, but the Kowa high end stuff is supposed to be even brighter than the big German 3.

Brett

Leave a comment:

• 6XLeech
    replied
    Kowa spotting scopes...

caught my eye in this thread because I just saw one in the front counter case at Barney's last week. Not sure about the model, but similar to the TSN 601 or TSN 602 models on the Kowa website. Maybe Brett will add more details.

Specs for similar (?) models:
    TSN-601, angled 60mm: Weight: 735gms/26oz.
    TSN-602 straight 60mm: Weight: 720gm/25+ oz.
    Retail prices around $500

Good thread.

Leave a comment:

• Kenaimike
    replied
    Anybody purchase from Samplelist.com?

They show the 65mm Zeiss diascope for $745 and the eyepiece for $199. That spotter for under $1K seems pretty good. They been fondled at the SHOT show, but a good mark down on nearly NIB.

What is wrong with that?

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaCub
    replied
    Just so you guys know I didn't mean to imply that the Nikon Spotters (both models) were not good equipment. I was just spoiling myself with something better. I spotted a ram from a long ways off a couple years ago that I later arrowed at 20 yards with my Nikon Spotter , it will absolutely get the job done and is very lightweight to boot. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't bashing the Nikon in any way and I used them for 3 years. Only reason I upgraded was screaming deals that could be had and the ability to sell the others for good prices on ebay even after use. didn't want anyone who recently bought one to think I was bashing them in any way. there is a big difference between $275 and $825.

Leave a comment:

• AkHunter45
    replied
    LOL...........yeah and every moose i have ever shot was in my Levi's and an old flannel shirt, but I had my Swaro's with me the whole time!! Who's needs fancy hunting pants!!

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaCub
    replied
    AkHunter45 your on the same path I was. My first spotter was a Bushnell Spacemaster bought it in 1994, eventually went to the Nikon Spotter XL, then to the Nikon Spotter XL II, then the Bushnell Elite and now the Minox. The desire for better glass seems to never end especially if you are hunting gear junky as I am! Lord knows there are better things to spend money on but buying hunting equipment is just so much fun! Is any of these higher price gear purchases neccessary? Hell no, I shot my biggest moose with my cheapest gun , a cheap pair of Bushnell binos, wearing cheap cotton hunting clothes. I think hunters and Me in particular are crazy with the stuff. This forum is full of nuts just like me, I love it!

Leave a comment:

• AkHunter45
    replied
    I used a an old Bushnell Spacemaster for many years, loved that scope but wanted something a little lighter so I bought one of the Nikon Xl's for our upcoming sheep hunt. I've used it several times this year and spotted a couple of huge brown bears and many a sheep and goat. So far I really like it but the true test will be on the sheep hunt.

Leave a comment:

• calndux
    replied
    Let me know how they do at dusk and very low light...

That is where the Swarovski, leica, and Zeiss come to be worth the big bucks...if you like the Minox really well at dusk to dark I might have to try them for a season and compare them personaly. Synd...great glass is expensive and I have to sell a few guns and save a few years..but don't get me wrong there is a big difference in 99.9999% of the cases. Minox are good quality and a reasonable price....I don't know about their warranty, but I do know about Swarovski...as long as they were not a grey market item no problem...run over them and they replace them...sent a pair back for a guy...I know some guys try to compare Leupold with Swarovski (good upper end stuff), but there really is no comparision. I don't currently own a "good" quality swarovski rifle scope, but I have several Leupolds and Nikon. Which are good to excellent scopes, but not in the same league as Swarovski and Schmidt-Bender. I know their are tons of other opinions, but these are mine. I only have one toy other than my guns and spotters, and I just bought it this year....I elected a few years ago to buy good glass and for go the four-wheeler.

Alaskacub..congrates again on the Minox...they are good and let me know how they gather light at dusk or on a rainy day. Good luck and I hope you are blessed with a 40" in the scope and on the ground.

calndux

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaCub
    replied
    Will do Snyd, and I agree with you on the DCF SP's I have them also in 10x43's. Paid less than $500 for them and they are awesome. thanks for the wishes of luck, if I recall from a previous post of yours , you are sheep hunting also, so good luck to you too. We all look forward to the pics with this new forum!

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    Smart buy.

Whoops...double post.

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    Smart buy.

Congrats on the new scope. Sounds like you got an excellent value. I don't buy into the "should of bought a swaro, leica or zeiss" stuff. Excellent optics? Sure. Excellent value? Not so sure. I just bought a new Burris Signature "The Spotter" on ebay for $250. $600 msrp. Same class as the Nikon Spotter, Bushnell/B&L Elites, etc. It's an excellent value. Not as nice as Pentax 65 that I want but still a good value. Maybe in a few years. I bought Pentax DCF SP 10x42 binos a couple years ago. $450 online. As crisp and clear as my friends Zeiss classics but half the price. Compared to Swaros in online reviews. Swaro's are $1500? Which is the best value?

I hope you spot a sheep with that scope and have the hunt of a lifetime and get him mounted with the $1000 you saved over the swaro. Post us a pic of him when get you back.

A Snyd remark...

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X