No announcement yet.

looking to convert my hand meat grinder into a motor driven grinder, need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking to convert my hand meat grinder into a motor driven grinder, need ideas

I've been thinking about doing this conversion for awhile but am now commited to no longer using the ol' analog method of grinding all my moose, caribou, deer, etc meat into burger. However, I'm not much of a motorhead so I'm looking for ideas on which type of motor would work well for powering a #32 cast iron grinder. I know where to get the fly wheel, just not sure what type of motor to outfit the rig with. Any ideas on a small, compact motor that won't bog down when grinding a little sinew or pork fat?

Thanks,

Jeff

Duramax 6.6
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

A washing machine motor works great. You will have to play with the size of the other wheel to get the right gear ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by shearej View Post
        . . . but am now commited to no longer using the ol' analog method of grinding all my moose, caribou, deer, etc meat into burger. Jeff
        Jeff I got one of them torture devices too . . . she is rusting out in the barn!! I used it for years till one Christmas I was shopping for the wife at Sears and spotted a grinder that fit the wifeís Kitchen Aid mixer . . . Merry Christmas honey!:topjob:

Itís been a while but it was only like $30-40 and buddy is it a life saver. It donít bog near as bad as I did, In fact it donít bog at all, I can adjust the speed, and it goes in the dish washer. I have seen them for most good brand mixers and I have seen dedicated grinder/stuffers for not bad money also. So as much as I like making stuff and love to hot-rod anything if I were you I go shopping . . . :think:does the little lady have a birthday coming before hunting season?roud:
        Andy
        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
        Call/Text 602-315-2406
        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Don't know how well it worked in the long run, but I saw one that had been connected to an electric ice cream maker motor. Ran kind of slow, but as I remember it worked for the brief time I observed.

Comment

Check out this link.

http://utahwildlife.net/forum/viewto...22852&p=249813
            "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Originally posted by ADfields View Post
              Jeff I got one of them torture devices too . . . she is rusting out in the barn!!
              AD....you don't want to get rid of that "torture device" by chance do ya?
              AKmud
              sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

hook it up to a power drill?

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                  AD....you don't want to get rid of that "torture device" by chance do ya?

Nope, it was my grandma's and I do use it sometimes. I will keep my eyes open if you want one I see them at yard sales every summer. They still make them, I have seen them in the non electric catalog from Amish country.
                  Originally posted by kevin476 View Post
                  hook it up to a power drill?

Donít know if that would work or not . . . maybe with a very slow high torque drill.
                  Andy
                  On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                  Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                  Call/Text 602-315-2406
                  Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Hand grinders suck, but don't mess it up. It will work great at the hunting shack if you don't have power. With the motor and all the crap you'll probably buy to destroy that old relic, you can buy some pretty nice electric grinders for alot less money.JMO of course.
                    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                      Duramax 6.6
                      or the 6.9. I'm not much of a ford guy, but I hear the new 6.7's witha 400 dollar chip cranks 600 HP and 738 FT/lbs of torque....that aughta grind through a little sinew with out bogging down to much.
                      Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
                        or the 6.9. I'm not much of a ford guy, but I hear the new 6.7's witha 400 dollar chip cranks 600 HP and 738 FT/lbs of torque....that aughta grind through a little sinew with out bogging down to much.
                        I am a Ford guy but I wouldn't touch a 6.7, not even keen on 6.0 but 7.3 will do fine unless we are gonna do a Cummings swap on this grinder. Then we could get over a grand of horse power to that moose meat and smoke it at the same time!
                        Andy
                        On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                        Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                        Call/Text 602-315-2406
                        Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                          Great link! Thanks.

Comment

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ds-an-hour-1hp
                            here is an idea
                            Last edited by komocazie74; 03-24-2011, 21:50. Reason: insert hyperlink

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X