My home made freight sled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My home made freight sled

Made this out of aluminum for lightness. The A-arms are from a 96 Arctic Cat ZRT. I had to make my own blukhead. It was tuff to get the geometry down for the travel of the A-arms. I use it going to my cabin. I was tired of breaking stuff while using my flat bottom sleds (otter and a home made UHMW freight sled). I to designed it to haul two coolers and three 5 gallon gas jugs. The front box can hold small 1 to 1 and a half gallon gas jugs or just extra gear. Im going to put wider ski's on next year.

I haven't broke one bottle or can of beer. Can go up to 40 to 35 MPH over stutter bumps.

Mike
    Attached Files

Couple more pictures.
    Attached Files

Comment

VERY cool trailer; is there a way to put wheels on it so you can pull it year round?
      "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Good idea, a sled for Beer.....The Lord knows that would be SWEET!
        If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

Just HAD to show us your new 800 summit....
          The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
          sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

I have been thinking about rigging some sort of axle through the spindle hole. Just haven't tried it yet. With my 6-wheeler I haven't had to haul a trailer while going to the cabin. Just put the gear in the bed. My girlfriend might like to tow a trailer someday with her Arctic Cat. Mayby this summer on a rainy day I'll try it out.

Strangerinastrangeland: Can't waste the beer!

I love my summit. I have had trouble with belts, carb boots but mainly the machine is strong in the chassie and motor.

It climbs like a mountain goat on cocain! Alot nicer ride than my 96 skandic wide track.

I also wanted to show you guys a picture of the trailer hooked up to a machine level.

Mike

Comment

That looks like great work.
              "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Heck of a great sled, you could market that I bet! Great workmanship!!

Why wider skis, wants to ride too deep? I would think longer would be better than wider, so the flat part of the ski is a bit longer than the bed maybe. You could get another set of skis and weld them but to but at the correct length so you get a turn up at both ends.
                Andy
                On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                Call/Text 602-315-2406
                Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Well I been out at my cabin in Petersville when it dump two to three feet and the trailer would sink out of site when I would slow down. Taking off I couldn't get it up to plane out (get on step). Ski's would sink. The ski's are from a Firecat snow pro. I did find some 9" wide ski skins that I would like to try. I belive the sno pro ski's are little more than four inches wide.

Here are some pictures of the first go around with suspension on a steel chassie. As you can see I went a different route. I think it turned out better. Belive it or not that steel chassie (not finshed) weighed dam neer the same as the finished aluminum trailer. I tried to make the aluminum trailer as strong as the steel one. The hitch is steel and there is a 2x2 square tubbing inside the aluminum tounge that goes the length of the trailer. I then isolated the steel from the aluminum and bolted the steel inside the aluminum with grade 8 bolts. Just in case my welds break or the aluminum starts to crack, the steel will still hold everything together and get my trailer and I home.

Mike

Thanks for all the nice comments.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I see your problem withthe skis.
                    When i build sled, the runners are as wide as the skis on my rig. That way they ride in a compacted "trail" made by my skis and do not sink in as easily.

the freight sled in my post is way wider than my skis as I plan to haule sheets of plywood with it,4X8, and they fit snigly in the bed. Plywood is a pain to tie down and haule 100 miles, and I get that "sinking feeling" more often with the runners out of ski width, so i understand that very well.

Good job, regardless!!

Me LIKE!
                    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

That’s a good point too, looks like it cuts right between the track and skis of the machine cutting fresh snow. Wider skis will turn better than longer, but longer will pull a lot better and give the same float. Lots of good ideas I got to keep in mind now.
                      Andy
                      On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                      Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                      Call/Text 602-315-2406
                      Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Yea this sled was built just to haul food, gas and beer. May-be wine for the woman! I did make a freight sled for hauling beams and plywood. Its basiclly a 4x8 sheet of UHMW with 4 x 8 beams down the side. It compacks fresh snow trails really nice. It has hickory runners and a metal hitch. I built the hitch by bending a 1 pipe. I have the one inch pipe (sch40) going through a inch and quater pipe. Thats my pivot point. It has hauled a lot of wood. I remember one load that I had 60 2 x 6 x 10 boards and a couple sheats of 4 x 8 x 3/4 plywood ond top. Ill try to find pic's of that.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Another picture.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Couple more.
                            Attached Files

Comment

That should last a lifetime! Looks great also. What did you skin the bottom with?
                              Andy
                              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                              Call/Text 602-315-2406
                              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X