Birch beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birch beer

Has anyone tried to brew birch sap? I found a recipe I think I might try it someday.

Measure 4 quarts of finely cut twigs of sweet birch into the bottom of a 5 gallon crock.

In a large kettle, stir 1 gallon of honey into 4 gallons birch sap and boil for 10 minutes, then pour over the chopped twigs. When cool, strain to remove the twigs and return to the crock.

Spread 1 cake of soft yeast on a slice of toasted rye bread and float on top of the beer. Cover with a cloth and let ferment until the cloudiness just starts to settle, about a week but it depends somewhat on the temperature.

Bottle the beer and cap tightly. Store in a dark place and serve it cold after the weather gets hot. It should stand in the bottles for about 3 months before using. If opened too soon, it will foam all over and pop worse than champagne.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,163,...226207,00.html
    That's what she said...

How about birch syrup turned into candy? I really like maple sugar candies but have not seen any made from birch syrup.

Comment

I imagine it could be made by further boiling down the pitch.

As I recall, it takes 10 gallons of maple pitch to make 1 gallon of maple syrup, and 100 gallons of birch pitch to make 1 gallon of birch syrup. With the amount of wood or other fuel burned to make birch syrup, it is expensive stuff, and I imagine the folks making it wouldn't want to have to burn even more fuel to make the candies.

But, I love maple sugar candies!
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I tried a similar recipe to your birch beer. It turned out very mild.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X