Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fur things...

Anyone make things from fur?
    If it can be made from fur, I can make it!!
    Custom hats, mittens & more from your fur or mine!
    www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

I hear there's a person out in Chickaloon that makes an awesome fur hat.
    sigpic

Comment

nuh-uh!!! Where!!!

Comment

I'm not too bad with a needle & thread & have been interested in some projects. But short of buying the fur, I don't see myself getting on those projects for a couple of years yet. What do you make?

Comment

If it can be made from fur I can make it but mostly hats and mittens tho I have done pillows, checkbook covers, bra liners, thows and blankets and once a vest.

Go to eBay and buy some inexpensive rabbit fur and start there. It's terribly addicting once you get started

Comment

samples?

Originally posted by Wolfwoman View Post
            If it can be made from fur I can make it but mostly hats and mittens tho I have done pillows, checkbook covers, bra liners, thows and blankets and once a vest.

Go to eBay and buy some inexpensive rabbit fur and start there. It's terribly addicting once you get started
            Have you got any pictures to show us?
            I've been interested in doing so, but I'm more of a "do it all" kinda guy and would like to trap/hunt the game and go through the whole thing. Have thought of buying and if it comes to that, I will be looking for the goods to make me a good set of beaver mitts and hat.

Comment

We work together , hunting tanning and sewing.
              Caribou is our main material.
              Mostly my wife sews for our family, though she make the occassional mega buck with a museum or two. She even has a little girls parkee in the Museum at 7th ave in Anch.
              sewing make hunting into a viable profession......

The caribou sled bag and various parkees all around.

Caribou, polar Bear and arctic fox mittens

Wolves into ruffs
              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

I understand, but it's cheaper to cut up and make mistakes on a few rabbit pelts than a beaver pelt that you worked hard to trap, and then either worked hard to tan or paid to have someone else tan

Lotsa pics www.alaskaspiritcrafts.com

But here's a bomber hat.... seems to be the style everyone likes, but not my favorite to make.

Comment

What does it cost, if I sent a detachable down filled parka hood to someone via mail, and they put a Durable ruff on it. Not for fashion, but for function. It appears to be 24" around the front of the hood.
                  "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
                    We work together , hunting tanning and sewing.
                    Caribou is our main material.
                    Mostly my wife sews for our family, though she make the occassional mega buck with a museum or two. She even has a little girls parkee in the Museum at 7th ave in Anch.
                    sewing make hunting into a viable profession......

Very awesome!! I was hoping to get some other skinsewers into this thread! I haven't had any requests for making parkas yet (well none that went through) but someday I'd like to try to make one!

Comment

I've made several hats, a few mitts (not my favorite), slippers and 1 pair of mukluks. I didn't like the mukluks, probably just the pattern I used. I made mitts for my wife out of arctic fox with a black and white suede trim. Slippers are fun, everyone gets a pair. I use beaver with a suede sole coated with sole saver for traction. A lot of fun.

Against my better judgement I made a friend a trapper hat from Sea Otter. Very hard to sew and way too warm. Racoon makes a nice hat. Easy to sew and not too warm.

Make a couple pillows from rabbit to get rid of the jitters. Ask around, community schools often have someone teaching a class.

Enjoy.

Comment

ruffs

I see the ruffs down below but does anyone have a "pattern" per se? Picked up a few wolverine and wolf....and figured it's about time to put some fur on my annorak, as currently it is just a windsock when on the snogo trapping.
                        Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Comment

Ruffs

Alaskan, as far as I've seen, ruffs are just fur backed with material of the sewers choice. Sometimes they are sew right sides together and turned, sometimes they are sewn by hand on the outside, it's all your preference. I've even seen a few put on with velcro, some sewn to the coat, some with buttons, again, it's all in what you want.

Hopeak, what kind of fur do you want? That will decide the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfwoman View Post
                            Alaskan, as far as I've seen, ruffs are just fur backed with material of the sewers choice. Sometimes they are sew right sides together and turned, sometimes they are sewn by hand on the outside, it's all your preference. I've even seen a few put on with velcro, some sewn to the coat, some with buttons, again, it's all in what you want.

Hopeak, what kind of fur do you want? That will decide the cost.

The fur needs to be utility, not look pretty, it is a work coat.
                            "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Then you will be wanting coyote, wolf or wolverine, they are sturdier than fox, marten or a few of the other 'pretty' furs.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X