Odd Ball Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Ball Request

I know this is probably a little off topic of what normally gets posted on this forum but does anyone know a place around Anchorage or the valley that sells goat milk. I want to try to make some goat cheese. That stuff is expensive in the stores. Thanks for any help.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Good luck with this one. You may have to start a goat dairy.

Comment

lol, I know, I figured it cant hurt to ask.
      "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Comment

MIght check out alaskalist.com with that question.

George

Comment

Sorry I can't help in the ANC area. I only know where to get good goat milk in the Interior.
          Lurker.

Comment

Try Matt & Rhonda Shaul in Palmer. They have a certified dairy and aren't cheap. PM me and I'll give their phone #
            Chuck

Comment

Call the UAF extension service in Palmer, they have a list of all farms that sell to the public. I do think there are a couple people selling goat products. I donít think raw milk is legal to sell for human food so you may be told itís for pet food only. Wink wink

Good luck.
              Andy
              On the web= C-lazy-F.co
              Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
              Call/Text 602-315-2406
              Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Try this one...found through google

Alaska Dairy Goat Association

Address: c/o Carol Hepler, HC 34, Box 2195 Wasilla, AK 99654 USA
                Contact Name: Hepler, Carol
                Phone: (907) 892-8002
                Email: dhepler@gci.net

Comment

Originally posted by mfletcher View Post
                  Alaska Dairy Goat Association

Address: c/o Carol Hepler, HC 34, Box 2195 Wasilla, AK 99654 USA
                  Contact Name: Hepler, Carol
                  Phone: (907) 892-8002
                  Email: dhepler@gci.net
                  Are there still HC routs on the Wasilla side of the Valley? They changed mine to my street address 3 or 4 years ago, had to buy all new rubber stamps, business cards, return lables, and on and on. :mad:
                  Andy
                  On the web= C-lazy-F.co
                  Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
                  Call/Text 602-315-2406
                  Phoenix Arizona

Comment

Just remember Cheese will vary greatly depending on the maker. If you can get someone to sell you their cheese it might not tast the same as the stuff in the store.

O and yes they do still have HC boxes at least on the big lake side of Wasilla.

Comment

There's a family that sells goat cheese, goat milk and a few other dairy/produce items off the side of the road at the intersection of Trunk and Bogard in Wasilla. I can't vouch for the goat products (hate goat cheese myself) but the tomato plants and other produce were great.
                      Gun-Steuerung arbeitet fŁr uns!
                      (let us not repeat history...)

Comment

Arky

Not an odd ball request, well maybe it is folks say I'm a little weird, anyway I've made my own cheese at home and happen to own Goats. Mine are meat goats and will be harvested as chevon(7-12 months of age) but I had briefly toyed with wintering them over for milk and baby meat goats. I made "farmers cheese" out of store bought whole milk as a test to see if it would be worth making. The cheese was good but it took allot of milk! I'll make it again for guests as a "novelty" food but I don't think Kraft cheese has anything to fear from me.

Diesel nut
                        The goat dairy products available in the grocery store are just plain gross and have about as much in common with Farm fresh goat dairy products as Gouda dose with processed cheese slices.......in other words nothing! Fresh goats milk is very sweet and lacks the gamey undertone of the store bought stuff. For that matter unpasteurized cows milk is worlds tastier as well. Difference is goats milk doesn't need to be pasteurized. Apparently goats are immune to most of the ickies we don't want for cows milk......like mastitis for example.

Here is a Pic of my Goats Mow and Stew. One is named for the job they are doing now(mowing the lawn) the other is named for were they are headed when the lawn care is done for the year.
                        Attached Files
                        BHA Member
                        Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
                        The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Comment

Looks like you got a couple of air plane eared goats. Boer or neubian crosses?

Comment

A little of both, those ears where the selling point for Tracy.
                            BHA Member
                            Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
                            The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Comment

Rick, How do you keel 'em at the end of the year? I honestly always wondered about that. We purchased a calf one year as a boy and I went with my dad to pick it up. Their answer was a 38 special to the back of the head. It certainly was effective though quite loud right there in the barn. That was some GOOD beef though!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X