Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burl table

[ATTACH]14984[/ATTACH]

made this coffee table from a spruce burl we found on our property. IT'S ABOUT 40" IN DIAMETER.

Very nice

is that a lead bou? What a great little table good job keep them coming.

Comment

Very nice!
      I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
      Bill Hicks

Comment

Sharp table.

That table rocks! I'd like to know more about the inlaid caribou as well. Was it a piece of material that you cut out and then mounted flush in the table as it looks like it is fastened down w/a couple screws?
        Also, how was it cutting the burl in half and did you do it w/a chainsaw?
        Very nice job.
        BK
        BK Marine Services 232-6399
        Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
        Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
        Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
          That table rocks! I'd like to know more about the inlaid caribou as well. Was it a piece of material that you cut out and then mounted flush in the table as it looks like it is fastened down w/a couple screws?
          Also, how was it cutting the burl in half and did you do it w/a chainsaw?
          Very nice job.
          BK
          Exact questions I was going to ask.....:cool:
          The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
          sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

i third the in lay caribo work. great work look great.

Comment

I just noticed that the caribou is the B&C fair chase logo...cool!
              The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
              sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Very nice table! I also would love to know more about the construction technique.

Comment

love the caribou / bear inlay (what material is it ?) very neat...
                  sigpic
                  If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Comment

Originally posted by cabinfields View Post
                    [ATTACH]14984[/ATTACH]

made this coffee table from a spruce burl we found on our property. It's about 40" in diameter.
                    sorry i'm late, livi'n in the "woods & lov'in it! About the table. I finally found a chainsaw artist on the peninsula who cut it in 4" slices in return for one of the pieces. I ended up with 3 pieces, one of which is the table. Took a 9" grinder with sanding pad to take down the rough spots, followed by a vibrating sander & then by hand. The inlay is 1/4 inch mild steel (polished) & sprayed with a clear laquer. The inlay design was traced 0n a burny plasma and cut from mild steel plate. I then took the design & traced it on the spruce slab. Then i took and routerd out the design. The bear & caribou track was drawn on by my wife. She read this and said i better acknowledge that!:eek: I then outlined the "tracks" with the router and blackened them with a torch and sanding off the excess burnt area. I then applied danish oil to bring out the grain and protect the wood. By the way, the base is actually the trunk and part of one end of the burl. It came out good for an ironworker i've had many comments on it.

Comment

checking

How did you dry the slice without it cracking? And how long was the drying time?
                      I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X