Plastic Welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plastic welding test

Here is the back of the box, in the top corner is where the box broke, I attempted to fix it, then decided it wasn't worth the effort.. I welded the box once only to have another crack form on the other side.. what looks like a weld at the top is where I was heating it up and tacking it so I could weld it..
    Attached Files

Comment

Here is how I repair my Plastic water Tanks for the horses. You can use any style of torch, I prefer a simple 1 lb propane bottle with a torch on top. Heat the plastic around the crack, not too much, just enough to make it melt, and quickly with a metal tool like a trowel, scrape the melted plastic across the crack. I keep doing this from both sides of the crack until it is sealed. It has always worked for me, and holds water. Don't know if this will work for your application, but thought it couldn't hurt.

Comment

Thanks for the nice write up, I'll have to try this sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by delta2185 View Post
          Here is how I repair my Plastic water Tanks for the horses. You can use any style of torch, I prefer a simple 1 lb propane bottle with a torch on top. Heat the plastic around the crack, not too much, just enough to make it melt, and quickly with a metal tool like a trowel, scrape the melted plastic across the crack. I keep doing this from both sides of the crack until it is sealed. It has always worked for me, and holds water. Don't know if this will work for your application, but thought it couldn't hurt.
          I like your rudemetary plastic welding it sounds like me. The only thing I might do is cut a bit of filler off an unneeded area and make my weld area a bit thicker. I've plastic fused many things togather just with my glue gun and my heat gun to preheat the entire area, works great
          Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
          "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
          Μολών λαβέ

Comment

I had a saw shop for 7 years and we would weld tank housings all the time. It was the only permanent fix there was. The epoxies that guys tried just did not work.

A couple things I learned when doing this.

#1 Do not get the plastic too hot as it will cause it to become brittle.
            #2 If you need filler plastic, make sure it is the same type. If you can cut a piece from the material you are welding.
            #3 If you can not cut a strip form the piece you are working on then you need to do a burn test. Take a small piece of the material you are working on and watch the flame and soot that comes off of it after you light it on fire.
            There are many different types of plastic but what ever you want to use as a fill piece (or filler rod) needs to be the same type so do a burn test on the sample and make sure that the flame and soot matches the first burn test.

I used a straight soldering iron most of the time. I went and bought one of those fancy hot air plastic welders, but it was more of a pain in the but and just never really used it much.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X