Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branding my jams and jellies

Merry Christmas! Detailed below is the result of following through on one of my maxims - Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

SWMBO and I harvested heaps of berries and rose hips this year, and the resulting jams and jellies were shared with friends and family for Christmas. I thought it would be nice to fancy up the gift package and decided to create a logo to establish our brand. Literally. Here are the details...

My niece is a graphic artist, so I commissioned her to develop the logo. After a few emails we got a good sense of what we wanted, and less than two weeks later she delivered the goods. She provided me a couple of graphics image she developed with Photoshop, one in vector format and one in bitmap format.

I then ordered a branding iron from brandingirons.com (go figure!) and uploaded the graphic image of our logo. They were able to craft the iron out of brass, presumably using a CNC router. I dunno, it borders on magic however they did it. About a month after hatching the crazy idea I had the branding iron on my desk.

I originally envisioned making the gift boxes myself, but the craft boxes at the Michael's store were just about perfect. I had earlier considered a bulk order of pre-made boxes, and from what I saw they are all made in China and mostly out of paulownia. It's a light-colored, fine-grained wood and is well-suited for branding. Using a plumber's torch, I heated the iron and went to town on the boxes. We had also picked up some blank rounds at Michael's for making Christmas tree ornaments. They are made of pine, which also makes a great canvas for the branding iron. I'm thinking I may make some coasters out of the remaining handful.

Here's the final product:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ru8qq2B.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2777933

The gifts have been well received, and based on the testimonials we've heard we accomplished our goal. Here's to accomplishing more goals in the coming year!

Good job!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Nice! I assume that's the lake your cabin is on?

Comment

Originally posted by NRick View Post
        Nice! I assume that's the lake your cabin is on?
        Yep. ...

Comment

Very nice and I am sure the recipients appreciate your hard work.

Comment

That is really cool. Nice work.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Very nice work.
              I have stamps so I can label all of my stuff as well.
              I figure if you're going to give something at least make it look nice and with a nice label people can remember where it came from as they're using it.
              You don't need a branding iron to do that though.
              If you have the right chemical , whose name eludes me at the moment, you can get the same effect with a rubber stamp and a heat gun.
              You mix the powder with some water stamp it where you want it to go and hit it with a heat gun.
              It looks just like you branded it on there.
              I've had a few rubber stamps made and I believe they're cheaper than The branding irons.
              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Just remembered.
                It's ammonium chlorate!

https://youtu.be/3K4J7yn7ga0

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                  Very nice work.
                  I have stamps so I can label all of my stuff as well.
                  I figure if you're going to give something at least make it look nice and with a nice label people can remember where it came from as they're using it.
                  You don't need a branding iron to do that though.
                  If you have the right chemical , whose name eludes me at the moment, you can get the same effect with a rubber stamp and a heat gun.
                  You mix the powder with some water stamp it where you want it to go and hit it with a heat gun.
                  It looks just like you branded it on there.
                  I've had a few rubber stamps made and I believe they're cheaper than The branding irons.
                  Actually I originally was planning on doing a laser printed transfer. You print up the reversed image using a laser printer and with an iron you can transfer the toner to the wood. But on a whim I looked into a branding iron and it just seemed too cool to pass up.

Here's a little info on using laser toner: https://www.woodburncorner.com/burnb...llow-versatool

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X