Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spirits distilling.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spirits distilling.

    Is anyone doing this in Alaska, is it legal to distill spirits for personal consumption with or without a license or permit of some sort. I looked around on the webs and really couldnít find anything defining. Seems there is a permit/ license process for distilling spirits for consumption/ and sale. I thought it would be fun to build some moonshine, but not if itís illegal.

  • #2
    I have a buddy that is a cop and as he was sipping on my shine I asked if it was illegal and he said that he looked and was not able to see anywhere that it was illegal to distill your own up here....
    But if you're running a 200 gallon mash you might find yourself in hot water if checked. It is a fun hobby, I say do it.

    Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      While individuals of legal drinking age may produce wine or beer at home for personal or family use, Federal law strictly prohibits individuals from producing distilled spirits at home (see 26 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5042(a)(2) and 5053(e)).
      https://www.ttb.gov/spirits/home-distilling.shtml
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

      Comment


      • #4
        I own a large copper airlock for brewing higher than average abv wine that must be warmed and kept at a higher temperature to achieve proper fermentation.

        Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

        Comment


        • #5
          I own a ss pot still with a thumper.
          Mine is used for distilling essential oils and hydrosols.
          My understanding is that while the state of AK has no position on the issue it is still very illegal federally to distill moonshine.
          You can apply for and receive a federal permit to distill ethanol fuels.
          You are supposed to add Methanol to it when it is made making it poisonous to consume.
          There are internet forums for discussing moonshine distilling at home as it is legal in New Zealand.
          Personally I wouldn't do it.
          But if I was I would certainly keep it on the down low and keep my mouth shut.
          Not even a hint on these forums about it.
          Wines, meads, hard ciders, and beer are totally legal though.
          I have local honey and my homemade birch syrup in two gallons of mead fermenting right now.

          Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

          "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 2dawgs View Post
            Is anyone doing this in Alaska, is it legal to distill spirits for personal consumption with or without a license or permit of some sort. I looked around on the webs and really couldnít find anything defining. Seems there is a permit/ license process for distilling spirits for consumption/ and sale. I thought it would be fun to build some moonshine, but not if itís illegal.
            Distilling is illegal in all 50 states. But it is so easy and cheap to do. Many people do it here in AK.
            27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
            Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
            Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
            MMSI# 338232859

            Comment


            • #7
              As the saying goes, illegal but not immoral.

              Comment


              • #8
                No one will be busting your door down for distilling at home. This isn't "Copperhead Road"
                Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
                  No one will be busting your door down for distilling at home. This isn't "Copperhead Road"
                  Sure if your only distilling for home use.
                  I still wouldn't discuss it here with my regular forum name, at least for me as too many members know who I really am.
                  Make it easy and the feds will put an end to your fun.
                  Just sayin....
                  There is a home distiller forum that looks to be a good place to discuss this hobby though.

                  Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                  "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                  "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                    I own a ss pot still with a thumper.
                    Mine is used for distilling essential oils and hydrosols.
                    My understanding is that while the state of AK has no position on the issue it is still very illegal federally to distill moonshine.
                    You can apply for and receive a federal permit to distill ethanol fuels.
                    You are supposed to add Methanol to it when it is made making it poisonous to consume.
                    There are internet forums for discussing moonshine distilling at home as it is legal in New Zealand.
                    Personally I wouldn't do it.
                    But if I was I would certainly keep it on the down low and keep my mouth shut.
                    Not even a hint on these forums about it.
                    Wines, meads, hard ciders, and beer are totally legal though.
                    I have local honey and my homemade birch syrup in two gallons of mead fermenting right now.

                    Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                    That sounds tasty. 👍🏻

                    Comment

                    Footer Adsense

                    Collapse
                    Working...
                    X