Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Happening on upper Canyon Creek...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Happening on upper Canyon Creek...?

I went into the Weibel Mine site yesterday and it looks like a XC-Ski trail system is going in. They are limbing the trees up 12' high. And there is red & white stripe flagging all over the buildings and machinery.
    "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Bump.........

Comment

Bump.............

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
        I went into the Weibel Mine site yesterday and it looks like a XC-Ski trail system is going in. They are limbing the trees up 12' high. And there is red & white stripe flagging all over the buildings and machinery.
        That figures! They'll cheerfully spend tens of thousands on skiers and hikers, but nary a dime for prospectors...

Are you talking about the old Wibel diggings at Mile 53, on the East side of the Seward Highway? I didn't know there were any buildings or machinery still left there. Their old hand-dug ditch for water is still visible from the Seward Highway....a long straight line about one quarter the way up the mountain-side, totally overgrown with alders. At first I thought it was an old wagon road, but no, it's how they got the water for their hydraulic operation some 100+ years ago...

Marshall/Ak
        "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Comment

Not exactly sure...

...but it could be part of the restoration of the Iditarod National Historic Trail. They have been piecing away at this for years and I think I recall it goes right through that area. It isn't a cross country ski trail, but rather a wilderness trail meant for year-round use.

Here is a link to the website for the work. Looks like the website is slightly out of date, but still gives you an idea of what they are/were doing. http://www.iditarodnationalhistorict...g/Projects.htm

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post

Bump......still hoping for an answer.

Comment

maybe call the forest circus and ask them? strange idea, i know, to ask the landowner what's going on....

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X