No announcement yet.

South Central AK FOSSILS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They point you in the right direction to look, but they won't give you spot on directions.

Geo's, Paleo's and Mineral/Rock hounds are about the same. They will tell you an area, but they won't give up their secrets totally.

I know of a place on the other side of Homer they call Fossil Beach or Bluff. But no one will give me exact locations.... so think of it as a easter egg hunt.

Originally posted by Snowmans300zxTT View Post
    I'll go check that place out tomorrow, hopefully they will have it.
    Does it include locations in the book?

Yea I won't push her if this attempt don't work, but I think if we find something worthwhile she'll be hooked. If not, then I'll give it up lol.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

laws?

What are the "Vert Fossil laws" ?
      johnnie laird

Comment

did you mean "fossil point"?

that is over by chisik island (across the inlet near snug harbor), it is on the map. plane or boat access.
        Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
        http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

Fossils that are not invertebrates. Any types of Dinosaurs. You have to have a special permit via BLM.

Originally posted by muskeg View Post
          What are the "Vert Fossil laws" ?
          No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

Yeah, I know of the beach.. but can't find anyone to show me the area via boat. One day I will get there. :)

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
            that is over by chisik island (across the inlet near snug harbor), it is on the map. plane or boat access.

Comment

She might have fun, especcially if she has found things in the past...Nothing is "Certain"....

teeth are common finds

She might get "hooked"~~LOL!!~~

And dont leave out the kids, they can do well too....

and someday, you might find a real "Prize"
              If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.:topjob:

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Comment

OMG! Wow! I'd really like to find some of those.

Going to the book store now haha. Seriously though...

Comment

I think you need to share the wealth haha

Comment

I'll share Pix, I guess...

I wont bore you with the broken ones.....But I will say that there is still alot of Treasure in The Ocean.

Comment

the last pict has a "tooth" that has a Bullet hole through it! ~~LOL!!~~ if only they knew....

Comment

Holy cow dude, holy cow!! I really want to find some mammoth molars, though probably harder then finding a huge tusk sticking out of the tundra.

One of the tusk are at a beach... thats crazy. I'm guessing an area where they crossed from Siberia.

Makes me want to take a trip to the Northwest Ak instead of just my road trip to the interior.

Man, Anchorage sucks lol

Comment

How close do the little tusk shards look to petrified wood?
                          I'm sure thats the most I'll find with my luck lol.

Comment

They look alot like petrafyied wood, but with no Knots.

We look in the ocean near the shore in the extraem low tides by cruzing over big muddy slew offs that the surf sorts out.

You can find them in lakes with your feet when the water is low, near muddy banks, you can really smell them.
                            I have found them mining and prospecting as well.

walk walk walk....find some small stuff, follow the "flow" and look for the big chunks...or find bones and keep checking after every break up or after big storms.....the mud keeps melting and its a longer season each year.

Never know what your gonna get.

If you come up , bring 2 20 horse Honda Fourstrokes,extra props and lube oils and Lots and Lots of gas....I'll let you follow me...and live the Mammoth Hunters life~~~LOL!!~~~and you can keep 1/2 of what we find. ;D

Comment

That would be awesome. I can't wait for my road trip.
                              May go out to Jonesville mine and see what we can recover in plant fossils...

Comment

I wonder how far South (w/in) Alaska the Mammoth roamed. Surely not all the way to Anchorage/Kenai area...

I believe there is some Jurassic sediments near Anchorage, wonder if I could find Megaladon Teeth??

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X