selling gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling gold

Say I get a few pounds of gold, or one gold chunk that weighs about 3 pounds. OK, let's just say I have some flake and small nuggets to sell. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could sell it in AK? Do the places that buy it all give the same rate, or is it better to shop around?
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

A couple ideas. . .

I looked into this a short time back and, from my limited efforts, think there are two places in Anchorage that buy gold. One is the Alaska Mint and can't think of the name of the other, but the AK Mint could probably tell you.

Please let me know what you find out. . . would like to know if you find an outfit that will pay spot.

Comment

You might try Ebay, for the larger one you could check with Steve at alaska mining and diving, he could tell you what would be the best way to sell it and how much to expect to get for it.

Comment

Now I gotta go out and get me a 3-lb. nugget. This sounds like a fun hobby that can go hand-in-hand with ATV'ing. I'm already wanting a metal detector.
        "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Comment

It is fun, good luck on the 3 pounder, gotta git me one too.

Comment

Ak Mining

On the AK Mining site they have pictures of the largest nuggets found in Alaska. Cool pictures that get you thinking and woundering when it might be your turn. There was one found just within the past 2 years in Nome by a guy who was witching for gold. And another up that way almost as large that was found by a miner that dug in a spot about a yard wide where the bucket dredge missed. Oop's.....

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Selling gold

Oxford Assaying and Refining buys and sells gold. They have an office in Fairbanks and Anchorage.

Comment

nuggets

You can generally expect to get about three times spot market value for a good specimen gold nugget but the bottom line is dictated by what someone is willing to pay and how much patience you have to hold out for the top price. I have a Minelab GP3500 that I can't wait to take to AK; this thing picks up low flying Super Cubs!!

Comment

Yeah, metal detectors seems like a great investment. I'm from sweden and where I live there used to be lots of gold findings back in the days. Perhaps I should just step outside my door and start looking. I Sure could use the extra cash right now.

Comment

Oxford Assaying

Oxford on Arctic buys gold, but they buy it below spot as they assay it and melt it. I've just started researching this topic and it seems that Ebay has buyers that are more aggresive. You might consider watching Ebay carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Ripface View Post
                      Now I gotta go out and get me a 3-lb. nugget. This sounds like a fun hobby that can go hand-in-hand with ATV'ing. I'm already wanting a metal detector.
                      na quit waistig your time on the small stuff...

we just go look for that one five pounder a year..

no luck yet though... but its out there i know it is...
                      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Google gold prospecting forums, I'm sure most will have a Buy/Sell section.
                        We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Comment

Originally posted by TWB View Post
                          Google gold prospecting forums, I'm sure most will have a Buy/Sell section.
                          Yes, I have seen quite a few of those sites, but I would still recomende going to a local jeweler. A lot of scammers on those sites, sell your gold to a jeweler to be on the safe side.

Comment

Qxford buys the small stuff at 65% spot price of that day. Anything thats pickers on up I would ebay or sell/trade to jewelers. Nice thing about and auction site... you set your min ( say 70% spot ) and let it go from there. I currently thinking of making this a double threat, I am getting out my silver/gold smithing gear from my years of taking UAA silversmithing classes so I can make use of my prospecting finds. I just need them a little bigger =D

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=65980

Comment

O.K., say you bought a gold ring with 4 small dimonds in it for $750.00 back when gold was say $285.00 an ounce, what would it be worth today?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X