No announcement yet.

Help Identifying A Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to vote against a tuffaceous rock, and stick with a solution/precipitation formation mechanism. To me, your rock's surface looks like a weathered silica/limestone chalcedony of some sort. Final answer.

http://www.bwsmigel.info/lesson10/de.gem.formation.html

You should take that into the university geology department for an opinion. Please do follow up if you get a definitive ID.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

If you put a diamond tile saw blade on a worm drive skill saw and keep it moistened with water on a sponge you can cut through the rock, though it looks like the ~3" cut depth from both sides from a skill saw isn't quite going to do it but you could cut off decent sized chunk
      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

First glance I'm thinking calcium carbonate. a great indication that gold or other precious metals may be nearby because it's usually formed near an old crack in the crust that carries other minerals. But, just my .02.
        Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Comment

Its a Skipper, (get it"lol ) j/k

I'm no geo, but I have seen that rock alot around alaska, just not that big. ( good find )

Comment

Travertine.

Comment

Do this: take a little bit of vinegar and drop some on the rock. If it readily "fizzes" then it probably is limestone/traverine. If no fizz then it is NOT any kind of quartz.
              "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X