Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mad_yaker
    replied
    You ever get that sluice box finished or still in need of v mat? I have a bunch of scrap pieces laying around you could have if any of them are the right size for your build.

Leave a comment:

• logman 49
    replied
    I was at Surveyors Exchange in Anch doing some Sat Phone stuff and see that they sell Miners Moss, the gal there said the owner is into mining, might be worth checking out.

Leave a comment:

• Alaskanmutt
    replied
    I have a couple pdf's on how to build a neat sluice with a classifier and a "gold sucker" thing for sucking gold out from under big rocks. The plans are for wood but they also show aluminum

Anyone wants a copy let me know.

alaskanmutt@gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Originally posted by trapperdan View Post
    Thanks for the offer kasilofchrisn, but I live in Palmer and won't be getting down that way anytime soon.
    Maybe we can figure a way to get it to you. How big a piece do you need? I have a roll that is 36" long X 24" wide if you can use it.
    It cuts easily with a razor knife.
    I preffer to buy my equipment but do occasionally modify something to suit my needs.
    Have you figured out your material costs?
    A good sluice box can be had for around $100 that is already tested and proven to work.

Leave a comment:

• trapperdan
    replied
    Thanks for the offer kasilofchrisn, but I live in Palmer and won't be getting down that way anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• ADUKHNT
    replied
    My twin girls are wanting to prospect this coming summer too. I don't have a lot of experience but I found a great article in the current issue of "The New Pioneer" in an article starting on page 104 that has some really great ideas for home made sluices on the cheap. I'm going to build one of those and see how it works.

Leave a comment:

• kasilofchrisn
    replied
    Where are you located trapperdan?
    I have some black mat in Soldotna I would give you for free.
    I used some of it in my goldbuddy so I can run beachsands. Seems to work pretty good.

Leave a comment:

• trapperdan
    replied
    Wow, thanks for the invitation Claude. We will definitely be up this summer and take you up on the offer.

Leave a comment:

• denalihunter
    replied
    That's awesome that your son is interested. My son loves it. As a free introductory to prospecting, you guys can spend a few days on my claims if you like! Can usually get in there by mid - June or so on Upper Valdez Creek off the Denali Highway. I have a 1000 acres, so lot's of fun poking around! Good luck!

Oh and that green outdoor carpet works well in the bottom. Alaska Rubber may have some good stuff for that also.
    Claude

Leave a comment:

• trapperdan
    replied
    Thanks for the help guys.

Leave a comment:

• AK Ray
    replied
    There are many possible materials. Here is a helpful PDF.

the ribbed rubber mat is the old school material.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Try Ace Hardware or stores that carry runner material for entrances and halls. Some times they have cheaper stuff that works OK.

Leave a comment:

• trapperdan
    started a topic material to build a sluice box for my son

material to build a sluice box for my son

My 6 year old son has shown a ton of interest in gold prospecting lately. So I figured that I would build him a packable aluminum sluice box for Christmas. I have looked at several commercial built ones and have an idea on what I want to build, but I am not sure on where to find the rubber mat and miners moss. I checked at Alaska mining and diving today and they were sold out. Does anyone know where I might be able to find this stuff around the Palmer or Wasilla area? Or is there any other material that might work instead? I don't have much experience in prospecting, but I am trying to learn as much as I can because my son is so interested in this topic. If anyone would be willing to share any helpful advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X