Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panning locations

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Panning locations

    My wife thinks she wants to try gold panning. Any suggestions where we could go with a truck camper so she can pan? (and hopefully, I can fish?)

    Thanks

  • #2
    A few quick links here......http://www.akmining.com/mine/recsites.htm

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmmm....gold panning and fishing, in the same location? How about Crescent Creek...should be some good trout fishing there:

      http://www.akmining.com/mine/chugach.htm

      (rec sites Chugach National Forest link)


      Excerpt from above link: "Fine gold is disseminated through the clay-rich, bouldery gravels along Crescent Creek, just south of the campground"

      And, there is a nearby campground to camp in...bring some firewood!

      Good Luck!
      Marshall/Ak
      "I love my country...it's the government I'm scared of"

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for the suggestions! Lots of options now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Gold bearing dirt

          Is it possible to buy a dump truck load of tailings dirt or whatever so a guy could pan in his garage during the winter? If so where? Is this dumb? Too me it seems like a cool pastime
          sigpic




          I'm taking a poll
          <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
            Hmmm....gold panning and fishing, in the same location? How about Crescent Creek...should be some good trout fishing

            Good Luck!
            Marshall/Ak
            [/COLOR][/COLOR]
            FYI be aware most of crescent creek is claimed up.
            The GPAA does have some claims there for our members.
            Also there is a $50 annual fee due to it being in a state park.
            "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

            "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by fullbush View Post
              Is it possible to buy a dump truck load of tailings dirt or whatever so a guy could pan in his garage during the winter? If so where? Is this dumb? Too me it seems like a cool pastime
              I have heard of people doing this.
              One guy my dad met had his own dump truck and would get his material from various road/bridge projects. Sometimes it was free most times they charged him the going rate for a load of gravel.
              He said the best stuff was from one of the upper Kenai bridges.
              I guess that would be your best bet.
              Find a road project in a known gold bearing area and offer to buy a load from them.
              You might have to rent a truck to pick it up though.
              Might be a pain to thaw in January too.
              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

              "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

              Comment


              • #8
                I've heard of people getting 55 gallon barrels and keeping in their garage to pan through the winter.
                Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
                http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

                Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                  FYI be aware most of crescent creek is claimed up.
                  The GPAA does have some claims there for our members.
                  Also there is a $50 annual fee due to it being in a state park.
                  Crescent Creek is pretty claimed up, at least the accessible part. The GPAA claims, which are member only are the south side of CC from the bridge and downstream. The north bank from the bridge downstream is a Recreation Area open to any one. http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Acti.../kpgold14.html Where the boundary instream is, is unknown to me. Remember only dig instream and unvegetated gravel bars, etc. etc.

                  http://www.akmining.com/mine/chugach.htm

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                    Is it possible to buy a dump truck load of tailings dirt or whatever so a guy could pan in his garage during the winter? If so where? Is this dumb? Too me it seems like a cool pastime
                    Don't see why not aslong as your aren't jacking some dudes dirt off his claim. A lot of miners would prob give you there tailings. You will likely lose money after you pay for the dump truck

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by crazygary View Post
                      Don't see why not aslong as your aren't jacking some dudes dirt off his claim. A lot of miners would prob give you there tailings. You will likely lose money after you pay for the dump truck
                      Most likely?? Who doesnt lose money looking for gold. I not talking about you lucky ones with good claims, I am bringing up us suckers who do it for the love of being outside and maybe finding some color. Heck I even lose money after gooding the "free" salted dirt baggies from CrowCreek and thats after 8 hours of digging.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        There is a book out there, (I don't have access to my library right now) but I have the Internet so I found it anyways.

                        http://www.amazon.com/Where-Prospect...g+books+alaska

                        It covers all of the streams accessible along the highways all across Alaska. Excellent for the beginner.

                        Patriot Life Member NRA
                        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                          There is a book out there, (I don't have access to my library right now) but I have the Internet so I found it anyways.

                          http://www.amazon.com/Where-Prospect...g+books+alaska
                          It covers all of the streams accessible along the highways all across Alaska. Excellent for the beginner.

                          Unfortunately the author of that book Ron Wendt passed away and it is out of print.
                          I had a spare copy at one time but gave it to another forum member. It is hard to find a copy of this book at the present time.
                          They were selling new for ~$10 but they were wanting over $100 on ebay last I checked.
                          "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                          "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There are used ones for sale on the Amazon link I gave for $25.

                            Patriot Life Member NRA
                            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                            Life Member Disabled American Veterans


                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                              There are used ones for sale on the Amazon link I gave for $25.
                              Thanks I didn't see that the first time I clicked on it.
                              Still seems crazy they are selling a $10 book for $25.
                              "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

                              "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X