Emergency Bivy Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Bivy Bag

Does anyone know of a quality, light-weight, breathable emergency bivy bag? The one I currently have is the Thermo-LiteŽ Bivvy Sack by Adventure Medical Kits. The main issue I have with it is that it condensates severely, just like a trash bag. What is the best one out there? Thanks,

more bivy questions...

I don't know the first thing about them, but I've looked at 3 or 4 now and noticed that each one varied drastically in weight and size(stuffed). The same goes for emergency/space blankets. Any reasoning? Difference in materials? What criteria should I be looking at when choosing an emergency covering?

Comment

Home made bive bag

When I looked into a bivy pack, I wanted it to be
      water proof,
      large enough to put my clothing in, if I wanted too,
      light weight,
      compressed into a small package,
      breathable,
      strong,
      have a large flap to cover my head and keep rain or snow from getting in,
      a 3/4 length zipper for ease of getting in and out of,
      and cheap.

I made one out of TyVack

I don't personally like a emergency/space blanket in winter, they are to small, they are made to reflect heat, in winter -there is no heat, the reflective service conducts cold, if you sit on a space blanket it's like sitting on a piece of thin metal.

Comment

Breathable? I have an old REI GoreTex bivy bag that I use when fishing and hunting.

Non-breathable? My survival gear includes a couple of heavy duty zip-up bags made of something like space blanket material but thicker and much tougher. It's essentially a waterproof heat-reflective poly material sewn into an oversized sleeping bag. I vaccuum package them flat and they pack easily. They're sold at Eagle Enterprises in Anchorage.

Comment

Old thread, but here's my 2 cents on a waterproof, breathable bivy sack- the Army/Navy surplus stores occasionally have the special forces sleep systems in stock, which they will sell complete or separately. I bought just the Gore-tex bivy sack, which is excellent. I used it many times for winter camping and I don't recall ever having a condensation problem with it. I do make a point to have a vent hole for my breath so that I'm not exhaling inside the sack, tho.
          "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Comment

have you looked into Bothy Bags? I was considering one of those, they look pretty functional, and they seem to pack fairly small.

Comment

Do you have the old style of the bivvys? The older one was made out of an almost fuzzy, but waterproof and reflective fabric that had velcro/mesh vents at the feet. The new one feels like a plastic. Old = bulkier, not much heavier. New = lighter; plastic.
              Χάρις υμίν καί είρήνη άπό θεου...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X