Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Delorme Inreach/Garmin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Delorme Inreach/Garmin

    All reports that I have been getting state that Garmin has bought out Inreach. I have been wanting to buy the orange model (forgot the name) and none of the major sporting good stores have them and unknown when they will have them. One of the managers of the dept that sells them stated he had heard rumors that Garmin was going to make some changes. Has anyone heard anything to this affect. Not wanting to buy one and them have them come out with a new model.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

  • #2
    New style Inreach

    Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    All reports that I have been getting state that Garmin has bought out Inreach. I have been wanting to buy the orange model (forgot the name) and none of the major sporting good stores have them and unknown when they will have them. One of the managers of the dept that sells them stated he had heard rumors that Garmin was going to make some changes. Has anyone heard anything to this affect. Not wanting to buy one and them have them come out with a new model.
    Go to Garmin's website for information on the new units. I'd hold off on buying until the new ones are out.

    Comment


    • #3
      To late as I just bought one at Cabela as was on sale. Yes I just found out yesterday that they were coming out with new one in spring. The new one will be $175 more than I paid. Very happy with the way mine works.
      Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Blue Thunder View Post
        To late as I just bought one at Cabela as was on sale. Yes I just found out yesterday that they were coming out with new one in spring. The new one will be $175 more than I paid. Very happy with the way mine works.
        Entirely too often companies keep adding features after they've already hit the sweet spot. Don't know if that's the case here but I do know that even in technology newer is not necessarily better.

        I picked up an InReach last summer even though I've been skeptical about a rechargeable, and it's been working well. The thing that surprised and impressed the heck out of me is that I left it in an unheated space up here in the interior for about six weeks, and we've seen temperatures of -30 during that time. Brought it inside, plugged it in to charge it, and the battery was still at 81% capacity. That was pretty fantastic.
        Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mlshore View Post
          I picked up an InReach last summer even though I've been skeptical about a rechargeable, and it's been working well. The thing that surprised and impressed the heck out of me is that I left it in an unheated space up here in the interior for about six weeks, and we've seen temperatures of -30 during that time. Brought it inside, plugged it in to charge it, and the battery was still at 81% capacity. That was pretty fantastic.
          Not at all intending to be contradictory, but I've had devices give similar indication....until I ask it to actually perform, and then the battery suddenly tanks. I learned to not put much faith in those digital indicators of remaining battery capacity, until the device has had a functional load on it for a bit.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            Not at all intending to be contradictory, but I've had devices give similar indication....until I ask it to actually perform, and then the battery suddenly tanks. I learned to not put much faith in those digital indicators of remaining battery capacity, until the device has had a functional load on it for a bit.
            Me too, but it topped back up in under 20 minutes.
            Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

            Comment


            • #7
              I picked up the delorme last summer for a fly out hunt. Brought a "MyCharge" with me for this 5 day hunt. Used it several times to replenish power for the delorme, cell phone, and dog ecollar and still had not depleted the "MyCharge" by about halfway. MyCharge is about 1/2 the size of a cigarette pack. Wifey picked it up at Walgreens for about $20. Thought I'd throw that out there for those using devices that may need recharging in the field.
              ps... love the delorme (got the yellow one). Got us out a day early b4 bad weather moved in.

              Comment


              • #8
                I do not regret buying the Inreach even knowing now that a new and supposed better one will come out. This thing has worked great and done every thing it is meant to do. With having it paired with my smart phone it makes typing messages much easier and seeing a map on your phone as to exactly where you are. I have a couple other GPS units and mapping/tracking apps on my phone, but the Inreach does a better easier job of it. Just my opinion.
                Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

                Comment

                Footer Adsense

                Collapse
                Working...
                X