Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best fire starting method for Alaska (with no man made materials)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonwood or willow is the best woods here in the North for both the hearth board as well as the spindle. For me it seems it works best to get the spindle as well as the hearth off the same branch or piece of wood. Alder makes a good bow. Birch makes a good bearing block for the hand. If you are lucky and come across a moose or caribou carcass, the Astragalus or talus bone makes an excellent bearing block that will last for years. Any green leaf can act as a lubricant for the bearing block. I suspect, though I have never tried it, that the white powder found on Aspen tree bark would also make an excellent lubricant for the bearing block. The white powder does make a good lubricant for sore tired feet that are starting to develop blisters so I suspect it would work for bow and drill bearing block. I need to try that some time now that I thought of it. green spruce needles also work as a lubricant. make sure you do not get any of this "lubricant" in the hearth board divot where you want friction to develop.

Far North Bushcraft And Survival - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/phreshayr

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
      Way....Way out in front, the best way to start fire in Alaska with "NO" man made material........Lightning.
      as long as it doesn't hit you first, then its really man made fire...
      Josh
      Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

I was watching an episode of Dual Survival the other day, and although I'm sure it wouldn't be the best way to make a fire in AK, and I doubt it could even be done in the winter due to the low level of the sun, but, I was amazed to find out that you can use water in a zip lock baggie as a magnifying glass. I guess because even that creates a concave surface to intensify the sun's rays. Has anybody ever heard of this? I really had no idea this would be possible. May have to give it a try this summer to see if it could be done, or, at least weather or not I personally can do it......lol. All I know is from what I've seen, primitive fire starting is an art form. And even the best can't do it all the time. I'd sure like to become somewhat proficient at it though. I'm sure I'd be like Tom Hanks in "Castaway" if I just had to build a fire and was successful..... "I HAVE MADE FIRE...!!!"
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
          I'm sure I'd be like Tom Hanks in "Castaway" if I just had to build a fire and was successful..... "I HAVE MADE FIRE...!!!"
          with "Winchester" (or Remington) sitting nearby with a blank face looking at you like you re crazy.
          Josh
          Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X