Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian in AK
    replied
    The new Garmin version will be out this spring, looks like way better packaging...

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fe...each-explorer/

Leave a comment:

• colonel00
    replied
    Interesting. What caused it to drain? I've left mine on for days, even in tracking mode and it goes to "sleep" when not moving.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Grayling Slayer
    replied
    Had another failure in the field last week. One month old device was left on overnight. After the battery drained it will not take a charge or turn on even when plugged in. Hard to call your pilot for a pickup when your satellite communicator no longer works.

Inreach support seemed very aware of the issue and wanted me to pay shipping to send it in. I'm done with these and this one will be going back to the store I bought it from for a full return.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Brian in AK
    replied
    Garmin has bought them out, hopefully we'll see some of their design influence in the next version. The InReach seems cheaply built to me and composing a text is kind of a pain.

Leave a comment:

• mlshore
    replied
    Originally posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    I just had a rather bad experience with the Inreach SE. Normally these work well but this time the unit froze up in the middle of typing a message. The message was to the pilot to get a pickup after a two week hunt! The unit would not respond either from the touch pad or from smartphone app and was frozen until the battery died two days later. Fortunately another group floated down a day and a half later with a sat phone. Upon calling Inreach they said that is sounded like a software freeze and it is a known problem and there was nothing they could do, they would not even credit me for the monthly service fee. Good device when it works but do not rely on it when you may need it the most.
    Right, when it comes to software, simpler tends to be more reliable. Plus, with the SPOT you can pull the batteries and force a hard reset immediately. I picked up an Inreach a few weeks ago and used it to keep in touch while on a long road/fishing trip, and I like it, but there are costs associated with complexity and you encountered one.

BTW, there is a hard reset procedure for the Inreach SE - did you try that? It uses the keypad so it's possible it might not have.

Leave a comment:

• Grayling Slayer
    replied
    I just had a rather bad experience with the Inreach SE. Normally these work well but this time the unit froze up in the middle of typing a message. The message was to the pilot to get a pickup after a two week hunt! The unit would not respond either from the touch pad or from smartphone app and was frozen until the battery died two days later. Fortunately another group floated down a day and a half later with a sat phone. Upon calling Inreach they said that is sounded like a software freeze and it is a known problem and there was nothing they could do, they would not even credit me for the monthly service fee. Good device when it works but do not rely on it when you may need it the most.

Leave a comment:

• Akfish1
    replied
    Last time I plugged mine in to the computer, it told me there was an update to install. Maybe that would help. Mine has been working great all over the state.

Leave a comment:

• DanC
    replied
    It's hard to believe that it has been three years since I started this thread. Since then I have had trouble-free use of the InReach - until I couldn't get it to pair with the gps the last time I tried to use it. I have to assume that the SOS button and stored messages will still work but sending newly composed messages is now a problem. I have not spent much time trying to correct the situation nor have I contacted DeLorme. I have, however, purchased a new Iridium sat phone.

Leave a comment:

• AK Mauler
    replied
    I've also had great success with the Delorme. I also have a sat phone but family and friends like the Delorme better.

Leave a comment:

• fuhrerak
    replied
    Worked great for us during a climb on the west side of the Inlet. Pretty awesome to get WX updates and to communicate with the outside world when/if necessary.

Leave a comment:

• frosty31
    replied
    Six months so far so good, sorry Aaron P.

Leave a comment:

• Brian M
    replied
    I've only had mine for a month, but so far so good while sending messages in Southcentral. I'll say that I like that it's based on the Iridium network rather than the Globalstar which the Spot units are based on.

Leave a comment:

• AaronP
    replied
    Originally posted by colonel00 View Post
    AaronP, that is unfortunate but sure seems like an exception and not the norm of how the inReach units have performed. Did the unit work fine before or after the trip?

Here is an image from my inReach map page showing all of the tracking points and the boxes are messages sent or received. This was last September using an SE model. I found the inReach invaluable, especially up on the slope for not only a safety device but also to just check in, get weather updates from friends or even to have someone check the latest Haul Rd reports in the threads on here for the latest intel.

This was actually the second time this happened. The first time I was sent a new unit. The excuse from Delorme this time was that they were experiencing a service outage for a couple of days in that area. It really bums me out because I just can't trust the thing now.

Leave a comment:

• Snyd
    replied
    Originally posted by rainydayhunter View Post
    I used the Delorme inreach explorer last week to send an SOS when my canoe capsized and was swept downriver with all my gear. Search and rescue responded immediately, notified rescue resources, kept continued communications with my wife, and brought the Army helicopter to our location. Works great.
    Whew... glad to hear you guys made it out ok. I just read the newsminer writeup. Was that M.A.S.T. (Military Assistance to Safety and Traffic, for those that aren't aware) that came and got you guys? They ended MAST at FWW back in 2008 but I thought I heard they were back and thought I saw a Blackhawk with the white square/red cross on it flying one day here recently.

When they were running the FWW MAST was the last one in the country. They responded to a lot of MVA's out on the Steese over the years as well as other rescues. They used to fly up to Skiland when us Ski Patrollers had some training so we could interface incase we ever needed to call them.

Again, glad to hear you guys made it.

Leave a comment:

• rainydayhunter
    replied
    Being 72 years old and not very adept at texting I let my 16 year old son handle the Delorme explorer. He used it a lot on the canoe trip to text his girl friend in Connecticut until our emergency superceded his social requirements. Like any device or piece of equipment, if one does not know how to use it it's best not to even think about including it as part of your emergency equipment. Our emergency extraction was made easier by the use of the device. The Fairbanks Daily News Miner of last Sunday has the account of the rescue. BTW, this is not a testimonial.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X