Delorme InReach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    If I were to consider the purchases again, I'd favor spending a little extra money, and get an iridium sat phone and stay with the Garmin GPS. I might feel differently if the Delorme interacted favorably with google earth or perhaps if their maps had a one time fee. But a subscription?
    It's a nominal annual fee for the Delorme subscription, with unlimited downloads. Realistically, you could buy the subscription once and get all the maps you want that year and never buy it again. That's pretty much what I did.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Comment

If I were to consider the purchases again, I'd favor spending a little extra money, and get an iridium sat phone and stay with the Garmin GPS. I might feel differently if the Delorme interacted favorably with google earth or perhaps if their maps had a one time fee. But a subscription?[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on the preference for sat phone over the inReach but I've determined that the inReach now has a permanent place in my kit too.

Regarding the maps, as Dee said, a one-time installation of your required maps is all that is needed. If you are installing topographic maps, how often does USGS update maps anyway? At high resolution, the system has the Google Earth images included and there is no need to download them.

For terrestrial activities in the field, the initial installation of maps should last for the life of the unit. The topography is relatively constant. Highways and streets may change as new routes are added but I've been driving with the same Garmin 496 I took out of my airplane years ago. It has the same highway information that was installed at the factory and it suits me just fine. Now, if I were still flying and using that unit for navigation (it's not legal for IFR) I would have to upgrade maps every 90 days or so and, in that case, a subscription would be necessary.

I echo your preference for Garmin but I think any differences are more apparent than real. The maps that are provided are included with the unit and I doubt there is discernable differences between those provided by DeLorme, Garmin, Lowrance, or Google Maps.

Best wishes,
      Dan

Comment

IMO, the selection of a GPS or locating beacon system parallels the decision making process when buying an iphone (or droid), or an IBM computer (or mac). One platform works great for one user and not so much for the next guy.

While you have a point about the short time unlimited downloads Ö they do claim to update maps. Personally, I donít have enough foresight to plan my trips for the rest of this year Ö let alone next year or five years from now. Even if I were to activate the subscription and quickly cancel it a few times a year, potential users should be aware of the costs (activation fees, subscription services) associated with the delorme system. If there is an advantage of the delorme mapping over google Ö thatís cool. But I donít feel comfortable recommending the delorme/in reach system for such reasons stated above.

Which brings us to another point. What happens when there is an emergency? Or you need help but maybe not a medivac? Yes, with the In reach, you can set up three messages. With the delorme synced, you can send customized messages to people you set up to receive them. So you find yourself in the field with a moose down, your friends Johnny and Suzy are in Costa Rica Ö another group is fishing, and another friend is working the late shift that day, and you would like to extend the an invite to Joe, but he isnít on your message list. A phone call to Joe would be pretty cool. And next week, the list might be different. But the foresight required and maintenance of the list, just isn't for me (examples: Perhaps you donít want all the friends to know your various bear, moose, and caribou hunting spots).

But they make a different in reach for the droid Ö so perhaps that combination would present other opportunities and appeal to potential users. As it is, I have theĒ in reachĒ and delorme, but more or less use the in reach as a stand alone.

Comment

Originally posted by DanC View Post
          I echo your preference for Garmin but I think any differences are more apparent than real. The maps that are provided are included with the unit and I doubt there is discernable differences between those provided by DeLorme, Garmin, Lowrance, or Google Maps.
          I view the google maps on my home computer. I really don't use google maps on the GPS. I bought the https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/Web_Store/MapStore.php and it is compatible with my delorme 20 and 60 and garmin.

It is easy for me to transfer points to/from Google Earth to Garmin. If I go to a friends house, loading google is free and easy. I've loaded up the delorme maps on a few computers ... so perhaps there is a more efficient way of working on multiple computers when using the delorme.

But then, do you have a way of sending points to/from the delorme from/to from Google Earth?

Comment

Wet,
            Thanks for those well-written comments. You are absolutely correct that a platform that works for one person might not work for another.

I have found that the maps pre-installed on a gps at purchase have been sufficient for all my purposes for the life of the gps unit. The North American topographic maps on the CDs that came with my DeLorme appear to be up to date in every way and I don't anticipate the need to update. In my case, I don't need no stinking activation fees or subscription costs. I have full coverage of North America at hand and only need to buy a few select maps for East Greenland. Your case appears to be different (or maybe some units were shipped with CDs, like mine, and others came with a subscription plan?).

Regarding maintaining the list of contacts in your PN-60, I am not computer literate enough to do it but I'll bet one can easily transfer contact information from your droid to the PN-60. My own contact list is rather short and I simply typed in all the contacts I could think of so they would be there in case I wanted to call them up. That way Joe is already on the list in case John and Suzy head to Costa Rica. I see it as a back up to my address book should I lose the iPhone.

Thanks very much for the huntingmaps.com information. That looks very interesting. I will be placing an order this morning.

Regarding sending points to/from the DeLorme from/to Google Earth, I don't know. That is beyond my computer skills but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Finally, I am glad we are having this conversation. It shows that there are various options available for safety and emergency preparation. Someone who goes into the field having given it some thought is far better off than one who has not.

Best wishes,
            Dan

Comment

If one pairs the inreach with an iPhone, can he select his message recipients at will? In other words, would you be limited to pre-loaded contacts or can you pick and choose to whom you send the message at the time of message creation?
              Originally posted by AGL4now
              Discovered that prayer helps sometimes. Also what a penis sheath looks like a few inches from my forehead.

Comment

I am almost certain (isn't it always dangerous to assume?) that the iPhone will function like the PN-60w when paired with the inReach. With the PN-60w I can pick and choose and have even added new contacts at the time of message creation.

-Dan

Comment

??????

Hello everyone,

I have been hunting for years with my Grandpa and he is now getting way up there in age and is not able to do lots of stuff but whenever we go out hunting we lose cell service and the closest place to cell service is 8 hours by wheeler and then another 40 minute drive by truck. I was reading some reviews about the Spot Connect and then today I was at Sportsmans Warehouse and saw the DeLorme InReach. I am not really sure what one I want to get. I would be using my Iphone4 with the App for either one but I just dont know what one to get.

I like that you can send 2 way texts with InReach. I really don't get there plans though. I would only use it for maybe 3 month or just even a month. Does anyone know how this works can you only use it for a month and that is it or do you have to do a whole year? Also does it work with no cell service?

Thanks,

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by akhunter15 View Post
                    Hello everyone,

I have been hunting for years with my Grandpa and he is now getting way up there in age and is not able to do lots of stuff but whenever we go out hunting we lose cell service and the closest place to cell service is 8 hours by wheeler and then another 40 minute drive by truck. I was reading some reviews about the Spot Connect and then today I was at Sportsmans Warehouse and saw the DeLorme InReach. I am not really sure what one I want to get. I would be using my Iphone4 with the App for either one but I just dont know what one to get.

I like that you can send 2 way texts with InReach. I really don't get there plans though. I would only use it for maybe 3 month or just even a month. Does anyone know how this works can you only use it for a month and that is it or do you have to do a whole year? Also does it work with no cell service?

Thanks,

Ted
                    Hi Ted,

I've been out hunting and have not been available to respond to your questions but I will answer them now.

Thanks for thinking about your, and your Grandpa's, safety issues. I wish I had a grandson to go hunting with.

Now, if you go to the DeLorme website http://www.inreachdelorme.com/produc...tion-plans.php you'll see that they have a seasonal subscription so you won't have to pay when you are not using the service. Also, it works anywhere on earth, whether there is cell service or not, and that is why it can be such an important adjunct to all your other safety preparations.

Folks, I am happy to answer questions regarding my limited experiences with this product but I am just a simple user. I do not wish to be a spokesman for the company or an endorser of the products.

Everyone, stay safe out there and I hope you have a productive remainder of your hunting season.

Best wishes to all,
                    Dan

Comment

Thank you. I just got back from hunting also. I was with a few of my in-laws from Haines here. I am going to do some more info digging because it is a great product but it is a lot of money for just 4 months. I am going to look into sat phone and how they work.

Comment

Any updates from this hunting season? Just saw the inreach. Looks like a great idea but not a fan of the service plans. Better off just renting a sat phone for the days I am in the field?

Steve

Comment

I picked up an inReach at the Alaska Sportsman Show this year and took it out bear hunting in May. Paired with my Android, it worked great. I sat in my tent along the coast near Togiak and sent texts/emails to my wife here in Alaska, my son in Colorado and a friend in Colorado. You can send to anyone you have an email address for.

Randy

Comment

I used the Delorme inreach explorer last week to send an SOS when my canoe capsized and was swept downriver with all my gear. Search and rescue responded immediately, notified rescue resources, kept continued communications with my wife, and brought the Army helicopter to our location. Works great.

Comment

I let a friend use mine for a spring brown bear hunt out of Dillingham. It would not send a message out for 2 days. I'm not impressed at all with the inReach, I sure won't trust it to be there when I need it.

Comment

I sure wouldn't take anything that I couldn't trust. The Delorme explorer work for us with no problem, probably because I had my 16 year old son sending and receiving the messages.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X