Chain Saws

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain Saws

I need a chainsaw and I don't know anything about them other than how to use one. I've seen some guys saws that were worse than a hand saw and some that cut through birch like butter. I'm looking for the latter. I just need to cut up deadfall for firewood to take camping. I'll take all suggestions on brands, size, ect.

THANKS!
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

3 things you need to know about a chain saw.... Sharpen, Sharpen, Sharpen... Other than that probably any 16" or 18" chain saw that has local servicing will do the job for you... However Myself I'd go with a Stihl or a husqvarna...

Comment

Originally posted by Old John View Post
      3 things you need to know about a chain saw.... Sharpen, Sharpen, Sharpen... Other than that probably any 16" or 18" chain saw that has local servicing will do the job for you... However Myself I'd go with a Stihl or a husqvarna...
      plus 2 on this comment! And the Husqvarnas you get at home depot or lowes are not the same as if you go to a dedicated saw store.

Comment

I flaged/staked/brushed the border of my 20 acre remote lake front property with a little teeny tiny husqvarna. I had a 16 inch bar and is still kickin strong. I used it for cutting firewood, cutting hole for water/fishing, and even attached a mini chainsaw mill to it. The trees in my area weren't all that big, and I bought it for the weight. I had to carry it on my back hiking for many miles along with about 90lbs of other crap. An 18 inch bar would be better, but the little motor ripped. The thing weighs all of 6 lbs.

Attached Files
        www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
        sigpic
        matnaggewinu

Comment

Frankly you can start a real fight debating which chainsaw is best. But for the use you describe just about any of them are gonna perform if you keep the chain sharp and keep it out of the dirt.

I've been using a 16" Husqvarna for 5 years and I cut two or three cords of deadfall and clear some brush every year. If I were heating with wood and blowing through 10 or more cords a year I would get something bigger... but for my intermittent use what I got is just fine. Prior to that I had a 14" Homeliite that was older than I was and for light duty chores it was fantastic.

You can get a 20" super saw but that'll be quite a lot for something to zip up camp wood.
          "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
            Frankly you can start a real fight debating which chainsaw is best. But for the use you describe just about any of them are gonna perform if you keep the chain sharp and keep it out of the dirt.

I've been using a 16" Husqvarna for 5 years and I cut two or three cords of deadfall and clear some brush every year. If I were heating with wood and blowing through 10 or more cords a year I would get something bigger... but for my intermittent use what I got is just fine. Prior to that I had a 14" Homeliite that was older than I was and for light duty chores it was fantastic.

You can get a 20" super saw but that'll be quite a lot for something to zip up camp wood.
            thanks for the parallel thought on this one hodge. You've alway been quite practical on this forum. We don't have big 2.5ft. diameter oak trees up here yah know? I think I paid all of $175 for my little husqy back in 2006. Still kickin strong, and now that I've finally worn out the bar......time to go to an 18" as that would be just about perfect.
            www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
            sigpic
            matnaggewinu

Comment

I prefer a Sthil. Remember to stay away from Y's in the trees...and larger limbs...cut above and below them. The dust, dirt and volcanic ash collects in the joints and will dull a chain in relatively short order. Sometime even a rock can be wedged in the crooks.
              "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
              ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Comment

Don't know what is best but I have 2 Stihls - 036 and 025 and they are both great - when the blades are sharp birch is butter.

Comment

I've used a few chains saws at work over the last 25 yrs... I own 2 stihls. An 018 and an 026Pro. Good for light duty and other good for med-medium hvy duty. Stihl is great all around saw. Huskies as mentioned are also very good saws. My second pick only cuz if u don't get em started right away, u mite as well walk away for a while. They can be finicky on flooding it. But that said, a good solid saw. Wouldnt recommend any other saws if u want a serious saw.
                  Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                  WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

I only paid $150 fer my Wild Thing 18" Poulan (which is owned by the same company that owns Huskies)in '07 & it's paid fer itself in cords o' wood cut up, & then some! All I've ever had to do with it was either change the chain, sharpen or clean the screen...keep the right 'mout o' oil & gass in there, keep the chain tight, & oiled & you can't go wrong...

Comment

A Sthil or a Husqvarna will get the job done depending on bar length and what you need downed.. Donít go tackling a Cottonwood with some short bared chainsaw lol!! Keep it sharp and know what youíre doing.. Know your wedges and how to fall a tree, depending on the tree, you could get kilt so understand what youíre doing! Dang.. I think itís more imperative to know how to fall a tree vs. what saw to use..

Comment

Of course deadfall for firewood to take camping; well, I'd just use a hatchet.. or a coleman pocket saw; you know it makes the whole ordeal seem that much more 'real.' and.. great ;-)

Comment

I would have to 'second, third, fourth' (I lost count) the suggestion for a Stihl. I bought a MS250 about two years ago & have only had one regret- THAT I WAITED SO LONG TO BUY ONE!!! Had a Homelite 330 and it was a very good saw, but the Stihl MS250 kicks it's butt all over the woodlot.

Comment

Go buy a STIHL! Will save you a lot of $$ in the long run!

Comment

Info in prior threads:
                              Posts by Paul H in the first link are esp informative:
                              http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...66403-Chainsaw...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...laska?p=818430

Good luck
                              Last edited by 6XLeech; 04-28-2011, 06:22. Reason: typo
                              No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X