Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laughing just a little

I got stuck on Kuiu for three extra days on a fall bear hunt. We already had two bears but could have got another. It rained 3 inches a day for those three days. Even for a rainforest guy, thats alot. I read, talked, slept, ate, the camp was well organized, sang, and cracked jokes. I still remember the Jet Boil Cafe' mon! I put on all my Grundens and roamed around a little but it was just heavy, heavy, heavy rain. I got a little hunting in but it wasn't anything spectacular. The animals honestly laid back under a log somwhere too. When it stopped raining, whoa! they came out like crazy. Bears, wolf, sea mammals, moose, birds...........

I've wandered around on a mountain top in the white out. Not really storm but just low clouds a few times. I only do this in areas I've frequented and know the nuances of the alpine environment. Dispite that I've still ended up doing a circle or two getting my bearings.

Word of wisdom here.......don't drop off any hill unless you are 100% certain of your destination and trajectory. Your better off sitting down for an hour, eating some grub, and resting waiting for a clearing than pounding out useless elevation.

I hunt the alpine in bad weather. Sometimes I use that to my advantage and elevate in the sloppy just to be there when the clouds part. It's a good strategy for areas your familiar with.

Comment

Yeah, this is where you find out the downside of those little two pound backpacking tents. It gets pretty cramped and sore in there. Its nice to have a book but you are right, they suck the second or third reading. You could always use it for fire starter when you are done. I always carry an extra small tarp so I can get an area out of the weather but out of the tent. Then you could pass the time having hot beverages if you remembered them!
      ďI come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. ď Fred Bear

Comment

I was wondering if there is any mini electronic game player that has a long battery life?? I should probably just ask my kids (lol).

Comment

Bring extra books, or at very least know what books your buddy is bringing. Did a sheep hunt in 2008 where we spent 4 days in driving rain and fog to the tent. After reading my books twice, I looked at my buddy's collection; Advanced Mathmatical Theory ~ Classical field theory. Yeesh.

I read my books thrice.
          In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Comment

I do pack a very small shirt pocket sized New Testament. Bible reading, Fellowship and Prayer is great thing to do in the mtns.
            A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
              I do pack a very small shirt pocket sized New Testament. Bible reading, Fellowship and Prayer is great thing to do in the mtns.
              I do the same. Before I left the farm to go to basic training, my Grandfather told me that a copy of the Good Book carried close to a man's heart will turn the bullet. I remember asking my Dad if he believed that was true, he said he didn't know for sure, but, your Grandpa and I are still here right?

I figured if it was good enough for them it was good for me. Thru out my military career and continuing today, I try to carry the Word with me. I find myself turning to and reflecting on it most when all appears hopeless and lost. Don't know that it is always effective, but I find that Scripture helps guide my path and provides comfort thru some trying times. TS
              sigpic

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Comment

Originally posted by Timber Smith View Post
                I do the same. Before I left the farm to go to basic training, my Grandfather told me that a copy of the Good Book carried close to a man's heart will turn the bullet. I remember asking my Dad if he believed that was true, he said he didn't know for sure, but, your Grandpa and I are still here right?

I figured if it was good enough for them it was good for me. Thru out my military career and continuing today, I try to carry the Word with me. I find myself turning to and reflecting on it most when all appears hopeless and lost. Don't know that it is always effective, but I find that Scripture helps guide my path and provides comfort thru some trying times. TS
                :topjob:

...Thy Word is a Lamp unto my feet and a Light unto my path...
                A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X