Tent Doldrums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Doldrums

So... bad weather hits.... two days in a tent, what do you do to fight boredom can't re-read the same paperback 5 times. Mist electronics are only going to give you a few hours... What do u do?

I thought that is what cards were for... or carve stuff which is useful, like a spoon for camp use... or sew on something like a holster. I always bring handiwork to keep me busy. There is always a rifle that could be field stripped and cleaned.

Comment

Audio Books on an MP3 player that uses AAA batteries. The books are free downloads from the library, and one AAA battery lasts nearly 20 hours. You can pack a dozen books this way in less space than one paperback, and you don't need a light to read them. Works for me.

AAA powered MP3 players are getting harder to find though.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertesq1 View Post
        So... bad weather hits.... two days in a tent, what do you do to fight boredom can't re-read the same paperback 5 times. Mist electronics are only going to give you a few hours... What do u do?
        Sleep, eat, hydrate, defecate, repeat.
        A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Kindle...tons of books and good battery life for the size and weight of one decent sized paper back. Just make sure to turn off the wifi/3g or it will search and kill your battery.
          "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Comment

Originally posted by Snyd View Post
            Sleep, eat, hydrate, defecate, repeat.
            Always worked for me, might add brush teeth in the sequence. TS
            sigpic

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Comment

If youíre out hunting you have no business being in a tent. You get off your axx and get out of the tent and go hunting. I donít know of any animal except man, that think bad weather is a time to not hunt or find food. That is one of the question I ask a potential hunting partner and you better get it right if you want to go hunting with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rutting Moose View Post
                If youíre out hunting you have no business being in a tent. You get off your axx and get out of the tent and go hunting. I donít know of any animal except man, that think bad weather is a time to not hunt or find food. That is one of the question I ask a potential hunting partner and you better get it right if you want to go hunting with me.
                Not true. If the mountain is fogged in, it's neither productive nor safe to go up and chase sheep or goats...that's a good way to walk off a cliff. Additionally, there have been times when I've been stuck in camp for days waiting on the plane to come pick us up. Certainly there are situations that warrant staying in camp/the tent.

Comment

You"re being facetious, correct?? If not, I guess you hunt in more favorable conditions and environments than I have had the good fortune to experience. Yes, I have been out when it was necessary to hunker down and weather out the storms. Weather that was not fit for man nor beast. I guarantee the wildlife was doing the same. In fact at times the conditions were so harsh that even venturing out of shelter was almost impossible and could even be life threatening due to high winds, poor visibility, cold temperatures, snow, sleet, rain, fog, etc. I'm not talking about just sh---y weather but, real severe weather.
                  sigpic

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Comment

Count me out, no prob... Socked in, no visibility, sideways rain/snow at 6500ft on a 20 mile walk in sheep hunt, my hunting partner better have the brains to stay in the tent and help me make sure it doesn't get blown off the mountain or we could both be in for it.
                    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Seems like I started a fire storm. Like anything you have to use common sense, of course if it life threatening you stay in the tent. Most guys seem to think a little rain is life threatening.

Comment

Count me out, no prob... Socked in, no visibility, sideways rain/snow at 6500ft on a 20 mile walk in sheep hunt, my hunting partner better have the brains to stay in the tent and help me make sure it doesn't get blown off the mountain or we could both be in for it.

A big 10-4 on that!!! Won't find me walking around aimlessly in the mountains with only 100 yards of visibility when I could be resting my legs and really make a push for an animal when I can actually hike towards something I spotted. Moose hunting sure I can see just sitting and calling even when its socked in in the trees and what not, but in the mountains its a different ball game IMO.

Comment

Confessions of a Moose Hunter....

I've been known to hunker up next to the woodstove in my buddies wall tent in the pouring rain and wind moose hunting.

Comment

Confessions of a Moose Hunter....

I've been known to hunker up next to the woodstove in my buddies wall tent in the pouring rain and wind moose hunting.
                            As have I.....but we were up to 1 AM the two previous nights dealing with a moose shot each night. The motivation to go out in the rain diminishes some when you have two moose already hanging in camp

Comment

If you can find some work on some Diamond Willow during bad weather. This is more a of a something to do at Moose camp as other hunts may not have you in areas with any Diamond Willow. Or make a moose call out of birch bark. Reading for me lasts about 45 min without needing a break, same for cards. Or maybe you can work on fleshing a hide...

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X