X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snyd
    replied
    Originally posted by fullkurl View Post
    ...Blowing up the BA on the mountain was a total pita to me...
    I hear ya but I sure love the 2.5 inches of luxury! It takes me about 11 breaths to blow mine up unless I'm sucking wind.

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    client gave me his neo this past summer...and i love it. wont' go back to my thin thermarest pads anymore. gotta blow it up, but thats worth it to be able to lay on a river bed and rocks and sleep great. comfy pad for sure, small and light.

Leave a comment:

• Timber Smith
    replied
    Originally posted by fullkurl View Post
    It is all about personal preference and trial and error.
    I just gave away a free, virtually new Big Agnes pad with the tent I sold on the SnS.
    Blowing up the BA on the mountain was a total pita to me...

I'm going back to my Thermarest long.
    +1, BTDT been through a bunch of different sleeping pads. It is hard to find one versatile pad to do it all in a variety of conditions, especially if your an ounce counter. I figure it is just a matter of how much nightly discomfort you are willing to accept. Sleep is over rated and I always like to say I will get plenty of sleep when I'm dead.

I've stayed away from air mattresses (concern is weight, durability, and years ago they didn't insulate well) usually stuck with Thermarest self inflating mattresses found them to be the best compromise of durability, comfort and weight. Foam pads alone of any sort just didn't cut it for me for more than a few nights.

Just might try some of these new varieties of air mattresses, as long as the weight is reasonable. Haven't completely decided on which one yet. Many times I sleep on the high moraines, glaciers and snow fields so opt for a four season sleep system and usually carry foam cut down and 3/4 Thermarest self-inflating.

This summers weight goal for pack, tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad is 12 pounds total and the only way I can make that weight is with a Thermarest Z-lite and Neo-Air. I just bought a new Z-lite small, weight actually came in 1oz lighter than published. Looked for a short Neo Air, couldn't find one in Anchorage. Probably just buy a regular and be done with it. TS

Leave a comment:

• fullkurl
    replied
    It is all about personal preference and trial and error.
    I just gave away a free, virtually new Big Agnes pad with the tent I sold on the SnS.
    Blowing up the BA on the mountain was a total pita to me...

I'm going back to my Thermarest long.

Leave a comment:

• Bighorse
    replied
    This is a very personal choice. If your big and heavy a more plush may be helpful to keep you from compressive forces. Width, Length, R-value. Like tents you should have a couple options here. I've got three. A shorty Thermarest for alpine, a new long Therma Rest with highter R-value for open Tepee stuff, and a full on Basecamp pad.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    $ for $ it is hard to beat the Big Agnes Insulated Air core. That said my buddy has been getting plenty of good use out of one of the light weight neo air pads though it is a bit slimmer and not quite as insulated. At 9oz I am tempted by the Klymite pad though it is certainly weird! I may bite the bullet and drop the $100 to give it a shot this summer. Other than that the classic light Thermarest pads (frequently the "short" version) is common in the sheep hills as is the Z-lite for the closed cell foam crowd. Exped also makes a very plush pad but I have not paid them much thought since they don't offer that much over the BA insulated air core but cost and weigh more.

Leave a comment:

• stid2677
    replied
    We talked about pads in the Sheep list thread, check out post #107

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ar-Lists/page6

Steve

Leave a comment:

• needcoffee
    started a topic sleeping pads?

sleeping pads?

Been using the Thermarest for many years and am thinking about a new pad that is lighter and packs smaller. Any one use the Neo air or something of that ilk?

Any suggestions. I like the inflatables for their ability to bridge small depressions and such and tend to have a better nights sleep on them than the closed cell pads.

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X