Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRWNBR
    replied
    i like to sleep on my side and my neo has enough air i can do that without my hip bones hitting the ground...none of my other pads could do that.

Leave a comment:

• 6XLeech
    replied
    Originally posted by fullkurl View Post
    It is all about personal preference and trial and error...
    +1 on personal pref, trial & error as Bighorse, fullkurl commented.

It is helpful to know some specific pads that have performed well in the field, for how long, and how cold. For sleep pads, I go big or go light. For 3-season use, with temps down to freezing (not much below), my REI Camp Bed (7 years) is my Escalade.
    The newer NeoAir (3rd year)... my Prius, I guess, has been a good lightweight, small space option for sleeping- I like it too for that.

Leave a comment:

• northway
    replied
    I have used a thermarest for years, but think I a going to go to the big agnes now. That 2 1/2" just sounds nicer and nicer! Especially when sleeping on rocks!

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    not anything there on a neo to insulate thats for sure. lightweight also means less material...

Leave a comment:

• stid2677
    replied
    It is true that any inflatable pad can get holes, but a little drop of aqua seal will take care of most of them. My buddy used one of the Neos last fall, it got several holes from being close to the fire. It was not very near, but a few stay embers put several pin holes in it. I used a few little drops of aqua seal to fix it. That said I found the Neo to be a very cold pad, not for me.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Sollybug
    replied
    Check reviews on a lot of sites before buying a pad cause a lot of pads have durability issues. And a problem with inflatables is you get a hole you are sunk! That said I switched to inflatable (some kind of REI lightweight weighing less than a pound) and love it. Its as comfortable as my ridgerest, same weight and takes up half the room in my pack. So far no holes........ I didnt get the NEO cause at the time every other review complained about holes. Maybe they have new models with better durability. But Inflatables are pretty cool.

Leave a comment:

• Water_Gremlin
    replied
    I am the very particular when it comes to my sleeping pad. I roll, fidget, knee, punch, kick and sleep on my side. Sometimes I wake up and wonder how I got in the position I am. A good sleeping pad makes all the difference for me on a hunt. With a good sleeping pad I wake up refreshed and willing to walk that extra mile to bag game. A bad nights sleep equals me wanting to sit in camp stiff and sore.

I've tried a number of pads. Most have been too thin or too noisy. Since my hunting trips have been by boat, truck, or ATV I take my REI 3.5" XL pad. In those cases the weight and bulkiness are not an issue. I sleep better on this pad than I do at home on my memory foam mattress and that says a lot. It's warm, quiet, comfortable, and just right for sleeping on my side. Well worth the money and more. I am still hoping to find a better pad for me but that has not happened.

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    noisy...i can't remember off the top of my head, i think it is noisier than the others...but not to a point that i remember it.

Leave a comment:

• shearej
    replied
    Seems someone else commented recently on another thread about the Neo-Air being very noisy for folks who toss and turn a lot in their sleep...? Anyone else recall a report along those lines or am I just making things up? Even if true, that may not be a deal breaker for someone.

I have an Exped Downmat 7. I only have 30 nights on it so far, mostly in temps at or above freezing. It is nice and comfy for base camp situations, most of my experience with it has been sleeping on rocky gravel bars. It definitely hides any indication of sleeping on rocks. The internal pump that Brian describes does give me some concern. I think LuJon summed it up though that the Big Agnes Insul. Aircore is a good compromise between comfort and weight.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Richardson
    replied
    Put 6 EXPED pads into my raft and camp gear rentals last year... mainly to provide pack-ability for multi-mode float trips and also making a warmer Roll-a-cot setup.

I have used these now in all four seasons including a couple -20F bellow nights.

Here are my thoughts:

Out of six --- 4 where the synthetic fill deluxe long version #9. Two of these failed early on. Simple issues...
    The 1st had the exit valving go bad as in completely fell off and the cap alone was not good enough to maintain all-night's air pressure.
    The 2nd had fabric porosity problems - likely a de-lamination on the interior coatings.
    The other two survived the summer and fall use - now ready to go another season in perfect condition. These are nice because they regulate temps nicely... when too hot they feel cool - when too cold they feel warm. Takes 85 CPR-like pumps to full pressure.
    * Greatest factoring to be made aware of on these is that a failure under freezing temperatures or saturating wet conditions is a scenario that's not all that fixable. Pad must be dry, cure temps must be held to some degree of significant warmth, and high humidity is not an option in a repair state.

The next two I received (same time-line) where the long deluxe version of the Down mat #9. This is truly a better mat of the two insulations. It's also made of black color fabric so faster to identify any problems or leaks plus heats up in the sun.
    Major complaint is that in sub-zero conditions the synthetic foam self-inflating pump is really slow to rise... 85 pumps turns into 160+ shallow breathers.
    *** in winter this endless pumping is nearly a deal-breaker and a failure could be dangerous under the worst of situations.

I'll continue to utilize the EXPEDs as a niche pad, yet would not rely on them solely in harsh extremes.

Leave a comment:

• oakman
    replied
    I've had a thermarest, I think it is the guide lite 3/4, for about 12 years or so. Been a while anyway. Still going strong. It doesn't weigh too much more than the Neo, but it sure takes up a lot more room. If I were going to switch, it would be more for reducing the volume of my gear than the weight or comfort. A friend of mine brought a Neo on a hunt we did together, so we had a pretty good chance to compare. I don't weigh very much and don't have too many problems getting to sleep even when conditions are a little less than desirable.

Leave a comment:

• ROME
    replied
    I have been using Theram-A-Rest Prolite plus for many years until I heard about the Exped Downmat 9 sleeping pad with pump. It's a little on the high side for cost but I love it. Super warm and comfy. It is also the perfect length and size for a Hilleberg tent.

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    no problems with the neo so far, i guess i've probably only slept on it for 70 nights or so, but so far its been great. no leaks or anything and if it did, i'd get it fixed...others i just toss them and get a new one. but the neo...i'd fix.

Leave a comment:

• needcoffee
    replied
    How is the Neo for durability? I like the idea of it and the Big Agnes for the compressiblity giving me space savings when flying in and putting stuff in drybags. The Neo wins out in the weight department for back packing at about half the weight.

I saw on a previous thread a lot of guys like the Big Agnes Insulated mummy size pad which is roughly the same weight as the Neo. But at 6'2" and well over 24" across the shoulders anyting under a 25" pad is not very comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• BRWNBR
    replied
    just think! 11 breaths and you at least have a pad to pass out on!!

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X