No announcement yet.

Hilleberg Customer Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have the Bivanorak and it rules! They did a great job on it and it's like a wearable tent! Hats off to them!

Comment

Originally posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
      Thought I would show a pic of the poles. This is the first time I have used a tent of this nature and this may be a common trait with these type of tents.
      Yep I had a Nallo GT3 that after a wind storm in the Kenai Mountains one of the poles looked similar to the above pics. I sold the tent as I no longer view the Nallo GT3 as a true 4 season tent given how it handled snow loads and changing wind directions when I owned it. Great tent, but for the $$$ and weight I think you can do better, but hard to beat the hilleberg custy service though.

Comment

There is a Hilly here on the Swap and Sell for sale...with, yep, a bent pole.

I dunno. There is a definite structural problem with these tents and no doubt Hilleberg knows it. If they weren't such premium dollar it wouldn't be quite an issue...but...
        Proud to be an American!

Comment

It's the design/nature of tunnel tents. They are supposed to be pitched into the prevailing wind if possible. Notice the "hood scoop" on the tents. It is supposed to catch air and funnel it through the tunnel. Look at what happens when the tent is hit broadside. Everything flexes. Any aluminum pole is bound to bend/give or break under that kind of stress/strain. Check out these and other videos of tents in the wind. If you can build a snow wall I guess that will help. Shaving 2lbs of weight for a tunnel tent doesn't look worth it to me.

Tunnel tents in the wind.

Hillegerg Saivo- freestanding 3 man version of the Tarra

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Interesting videos.

The problem with tunnel tents is...the wind doesn't know that it should be blowing lengthwise <only>. : D
            The Saivo looks tight.
            Also looks like M.H. EV2, Rab MKIII and Bibler Eldorado tent country....
            Proud to be an American!

Comment

Originally posted by fullkurl View Post
              The problem with tunnel tents is...the wind doesn't know that it should be blowing lengthwise <only>. : D
              Which is what caused the bend in one of the poles in my Nallo when I had it. Setup the tent into the wind. But overnight the wind changed direction and picked up. Thats what I like about my tipi is its the same now matter which direction the wind hits it. If I were to buy another 4 season tent from Hilleberg it would be the Jannu hands down. But for now I'll just see how the Black Diamond Skylight works out for my winter backpacking endeavors. Anything other than winter trips or camping on the muskeg will be the tipi for me.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X