New Barneys Packs are In !!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
    Don't get me wrong AGL.... The Eberlestock is a very good pack. I would have a hard time finding another at that price range that is better suited to hunting alpine black bears in many areas where you spot them from the bottom and then have to bust brush and scramble a few thousand vert feet to get on em. Just like the Ranger, it is easier to get in and out of tight places etc. However if you want to haul "fifth-wheel" style loads then the Barneys bag is the way to go.
    True, but a 5'9 guy with a Barney's pack will still get through it better than a 6'6 guy with a Eberlestock pack on.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
      True, but a 5'9 guy with a Barney's pack will still get through it better than a 6'6 guy with a Eberlestock pack on.
      LOL, yup that is my excuse for struggling to keep up with you!!! Honestly I encourage you to keep the top bar on and haul a 26" barreled rifle strapped to the side of it if possible! Anything to hang you up enough that I can keep you in sight!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeel View Post
        Kahahawai,

Have you had a chance to weigh the pack? I've been told the hunter comes in around 8 1/2 lbs. I'm having a hard time deciding between the Eberlestock Just One pack and the Barneys Hunter. What's making the decision really tough is that I can get the Just One pack with expansion and rain cover for about half of the cost of the Barneys due to a promotion program. Your picture definitely made the decision a little tougher. I'd appreciate any comments you might have. This pack purchase is primarily for upcoming sheep and goat hunts.

Thanks,

Mike
        Yikes, starting with an almost nine pound pack will never happen for me....
        That six+/- extra pounds is a rifle or 3 quarts of water!

Originally posted by sheep man View Post
        there a good saying by someone thats a big time gear junkie expert named bryan martin,would you use a 1/2 ton truck to haul a 16 place horse trailer or would you use a 1 ton,sooner or later your going to wish you had that one ton,,,for the extra pound or 2 your saving it just doesn't make since,i have the long hunter and enjoyed one sheep hunt with it,i felt every step that something was going to snap or break,no fun when you are loaded with sheep and grear 8 miles from the strip,i did make it but went back to the barneys pack....my 2 scents
        I've had two packs fail....both army issue bags with shoulder straps. These were put inside of my back pack for hauling meat back to base camp. They were junk but were used to keep my good pack free of blood and guts. I should have learned from the first time.
        Today's UL packs are awesome; large, light and strong. Yet to have one fail.

The new UL Kifaru is over five pounds less than this new Barney pack it appears....
        Am I wrong here?
        Proud to be an American!

Comment

Lujon,

I would never expect the Just One to haul the same load as the Barneys, but in your opinion what kind of weight will it haul comfortably? When you start talking about the analogy between the two trucks the truth is even a ford ranger can carry a lot of weight compared to it's size. I don't just want to base my decision on how much weight it can haul, but rather versatility, functionality and comfort. I understand the Barney's packs have a huge following, but in my mind I have to do the research before I can justify the cost. I do appreciate your comments.

Mike

Comment

FullFreezer,

How do like the AK Range pack? I plan on checking them out a the show. Do you have the sheep or bear hunter model?

Mike

Originally posted by FullFreezer View Post
            whats the price on that pack? I have a sheep hunter pack 6500 cubic inches from alaska range gear, worked fine on the wifes sheep hunt last yr. whats the price for that new barneys pack?

Comment

I just bought the very last Kevlar Hunter Pack from Barneys....I don't know what it is, those black stripes just look sharp. Camo Schmamo, I don't need no stinking camoflauge!!!

Seriously though, I've been sporting an REI Wonderland for about 9 years, and its yielded one ram. I am not likeing those odds any more. I pick up my new Barney Pack in a few days, and I WILL kill a ram this year. Thats all there is to it.

Comment

I figured the hunter pack was going to outsell the pinnacle, ......not too big, and not too small.

I was at the show, and they were selling quite a few of them ( pay there and pick up at the store)

Comment

Barneys and Eberlestock

I'll chime in cause I have both packs. I have used the J-104 for about 8 years now from Alaska to New Mexico. I have packed in a minimal camp and have taken out elk quarters from the J-104. I rally like the Eberlestocks' features especially the rifle scabbard. It keeps the rifle secure and safe for hands free climbing or hiking.

However, if I was going in with all my camp on my back for a number of days, the Barneys Hunter would be what I would take. What Pete said with the truck analogy is sound advice.
                  But, Steves' new Kifaru is interesting (no zippers) as it has add-on component packs like most of the Eberlestocks. Anyway, like most things, market competition is good cause it forces companies to continually make something better.
                  Good luck to all.

Comment

[QUOTE=J in AK;920014]I just bought the very last Kevlar Hunter Pack from Barneys....I don't know what it is, those black stripes just look sharp. Camo Schmamo, I don't need no stinking camoflauge!!!

Seriously though, I've been sporting an REI Wonderland for about 9 years, and its yielded one ram. I am not likeing those odds any more. I pick up my new Barney Pack in a few days, and I WILL kill a ram this year. Thats all there is to it.[/QUOTE

I'm going sheep hunting this year, and probably won't kill a Ram,..........But I will look good out there, with my new pack and gear......and thats all there is to it !!!!!!

Comment

I finally got a chance to compare all three of the packs (Barney's, AK Range and Eberlestock). What I can say is that all three are really nice packs. I don't think I would be comfortable carrying a full camp and meat out very far with the internal frame. I really liked some of the integrated features and agree with Lujon that it would be a great alpine pack. Nice and compact for the trip out then expand it to carry the game home. So, then I was down to the external frame packs and the decision got much harder. After much deliberation, I went with the Barney's backpack mostly for the comfort of the frame. If anyone is interested in more detail let me know. For the guys with the Barney's packs, has anyone modified theirs to accept a water bladder? I'd like to hear some options.

Comment

[QUOTE=I'm going sheep hunting this year, and probably won't kill a Ram,..........But I will look good out there, with my new pack and gear......and thats all there is to it !!!!!![/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more!!

Comment

I splurged @ the Sportsman's show and bought the Pinnacle Pack/Frame. I am super pumped. I actually want to load it up and go hiking

Comment

Originally posted by wolfeel View Post
                            I finally got a chance to compare all three of the packs (Barney's, AK Range and Eberlestock). What I can say is that all three are really nice packs. I don't think I would be comfortable carrying a full camp and meat out very far with the internal frame. I really liked some of the integrated features and agree with Lujon that it would be a great alpine pack. Nice and compact for the trip out then expand it to carry the game home. So, then I was down to the external frame packs and the decision got much harder. After much deliberation, I went with the Barney's backpack mostly for the comfort of the frame. If anyone is interested in more detail let me know. For the guys with the Barney's packs, has anyone modified theirs to accept a water bladder? I'd like to hear some options.
                            I have the hunter pack and just got a 6-liter msr dromlite bladder and am in the process right now of finding the best place to put it... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by kahahawai View Post
                              Originally posted by J in AK View Post
                              I just bought the very last Kevlar Hunter Pack from Barneys....I don't know what it is, those black stripes just look sharp. Camo Schmamo, I don't need no stinking camoflauge!!!

Seriously though, I've been sporting an REI Wonderland for about 9 years, and its yielded one ram. I am not likeing those odds any more. I pick up my new Barney Pack in a few days, and I WILL kill a ram this year. Thats all there is to it.
                              I'm going sheep hunting this year, and probably won't kill a Ram,..........But I will look good out there, with my new pack and gear......and thats all there is to it !!!!!!
                              I agree with you Kahahawai, the new green ones like the one you picked are looking **** good!!! Thinking I'll get ahold of the Yukon here in a few months in that green, but for now, couldn't resist getting one of the last black ones. I've always thought they looked sharp, and just couldn't pass it up. Turns out its the Bob bag, since discontinued, and I am thinking it will make the perfect sheep pack.

I've been rolling a REI Wonderland for about 10 years now, clocking in at around 4900cu. It was the first pack I ever owned, and served me quite well on many solo hunts, but always lacked in the "comfort factor". I figure this Barneys pack is gonna be like driving a Cadillac, and am probably gonna wonder what I was ever thinking. But with the Bob pack coming in at 6200cu, I think that will be more than enough for my solo walks.

And for the record, if tradition holds true, I probably won't kill a Ram this year, but I've been leaning towards a little positive thinking lately. With the luck i've had, it couldn't hurt...

Comment

I have the same pack. I use a 2.5L MSR bladder. I have put mine inside the top flap for the last few years. If you burp the air out before you put it in there, it doesn't really matter what position it is in, all the water is coming out. Easy to fill up, gravity works for you, etc. I clip the drinking hose to one of my shoulder strap plastic D rings.

Originally posted by mtnclimber View Post
                                I have the hunter pack and just got a 6-liter msr dromlite bladder and am in the process right now of finding the best place to put it... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X