Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beating Devil's Club????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beating Devil's Club????

    I don't suppose there is one right answer for this, maybe not an answer at all, but I'm heading into a club-prone area and looking for lightweight options that will tear me up the least. Any ideas? I'm thinking that I could go with a little heavier garment up to base camp and then cache it until the trip out? My partner suggested I carry a machete, but I am uncertain about that idea.

  • #2
    Buck man... all i can say is STAY out of it!!!!! though it should be brittle this time of year and break off if the snow has not already done so...i wouldn't think the new shoots are started up yet...

    though ONE MORE good reason to be in the interior...we dont have any of it..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

    Comment


    • #3
      This is fairly light weight

      Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

      If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

      Comment


      • #4
        August

        Originally posted by Vince View Post
        Buck man... all i can say is STAY out of it!!!!! though it should be brittle this time of year and break off if the snow has not already done so...i wouldn't think the new shoots are started up yet...

        though ONE MORE good reason to be in the interior...we dont have any of it..
        I'm not quite that sissy I'm thinking of my goat hunt this fall. Not much in the way of options the way I see it. Get off plane, get up and between the two...you guessed it, the devil! We'll get trhough one way or another, just trying to pry a secret out of some well seasoned vets

        Paul, is it common for folks to carry such a weapon?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BucknRut View Post
          I don't suppose there is one right answer for this, maybe not an answer at all, but I'm heading into a club-prone area and looking for lightweight options that will tear me up the least. Any ideas? I'm thinking that I could go with a little heavier garment up to base camp and then cache it until the trip out? My partner suggested I carry a machete, but I am uncertain about that idea.
          Josh, because I hunt in the SE I'm usually in rain gear and that takes care of most of it, but one thing I always have is pair of leather work gloves to get me through the real nasty stuff.
          Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

          Comment


          • #6
            Check!

            Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
            Josh, because I hunt in the SE I'm usually in rain gear and that takes care of most of it, but one thing I always have is pair of leather work gloves to get me through the real nasty stuff.
            Thanks fisher, got that on the list already! Should I be worried about my rain gear getting torn up?

            Comment


            • #7
              Trust me, it's not the devils club you have to worry about up there, it's the ALDERS! We saw very very little devils club in there. Good pair of gators to cover your lower legs and you will be fine.

              SEE YA TOMORROW NIGHT! :cool: You gonna be awake when I get there or is the beer keg all mine while you sleep?

              P.S. I'm leaveing work early, be headed down thata way at 2:30pm. Should put me there by 7:30. :cool:

              Comment


              • #8
                Cool...

                Originally posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
                SEE YA TOMORROW NIGHT! :cool: You gonna be awake when I get there or is the beer keg all mine while you sleep?
                I gotta tell ya Curt...Either this weight-lifting stuff is working or that keg in the garage is a little low:rolleyes: I went out there just to pick a little and see and she was light:eek: No fear though, we won't go thirsty It seems that ever since the weather has been warming up, folks tend to drop in more often. You'd think it would last more than a week...naw. That stout I was bragging about yesterday blew its top today! Small mess, no biggy. It's gonna be a goodin I tell ya! Anyway, I might be at class yet when you arrive, but no biggy, you know where the door is at!

                Gators...CHECK. Glad to here the devil's club is less over there. Looking at pics, it wasn't too promising for me. Alders, yup, those aren't going to be fun.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BucknRut View Post
                  Thanks fisher, got that on the list already! Should I be worried about my rain gear getting torn up?
                  Normal Helly's work well, the DC is a little hard on Impertech.:eek:
                  Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
                    Normal Helly's work well, the DC is a little hard on Impertech.:eek:
                    UUUUT OH...I'm not much for those vinyl things. A scouting trip will give me a better idea though. Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BucknRut View Post
                      I'm not quite that sissy



                      so your saying....I SHOULDN"T listen to DSLDOGS stories about you?





                      "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

                      meet on face book here

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        filsons

                        Filson's Tin pants are bullet proof ... and I prefer the White OX gloves that all the loggers (that used to be here) wore.
                        johnnie laird

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          +1 on the filsons. I use the double tin chaps.
                          "The older I get, the better I was."

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I used to use a gerber saw and just pick my way through the D-club. I would use the saw to like a machete to just knock off the leaves so I could pick my way through. The saw worked pretty darn good for that and wasn't too bad for cutting a path through the alders either. Then I discovered the woodsmans pal! It is almost too fun to use and now I tend to make a trail up the mountain so wide and clear you could find your way down it in the dark!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Great!!!

                              Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                              I used to use a gerber saw and just pick my way through the D-club. I would use the saw to like a machete to just knock off the leaves so I could pick my way through. The saw worked pretty darn good for that and wasn't too bad for cutting a path through the alders either. Then I discovered the woodsmans pal! It is almost too fun to use and now I tend to make a trail up the mountain so wide and clear you could find your way down it in the dark!
                              Hey Lujon, when you get back from the sandbox, I'll give you a map of my hunt area so you can 'have some fun' with your new toy!
                              I looked at Curt's video of the hunt and man is that some thick country...devils club not a problem, but alder brush:eek::eek::eek::eek:

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X