my beef with Carharts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my beef with Carharts...

I have a pair of Carhats parka, & bib overalls, that my wife bought me as a gift, but I have to admit that I am a bit peeved with them...my pet peeve is that they have METAL zippers, & contact on the skin with metal in subzero weather isn't conducive to a healthy chin...I need to get some good tape & tape the zipper thingy up...to prevent that from happening...other than that, the carharts brand is pretty durable & warm!

you are out there in the boonies but if you were local I would say get some plasti-dip from frigid north and you would be all set. My gripe with carharts is this "it is possible for this garment to light on fire while the wearer is unaware" This seems minor untill your buddy has to tell you that your back is on friggin fire! I guess that the "me" being unaware is an improvement over "me" being accutely aware due to the intense pain and blistering asociated with my flesh being on fire. The option I would prefer is "this garment is highly fire resistant and will not catch fire". Perhaps I ask for too much! <grin> Have fun with your new jacket and remember to keep a friend around if you are welding, if for no other reason than to let you know before you burn to death!

Comment

Originally posted by gogoalie View Post
      I have a pair of Carhats parka, & bib overalls, that my wife bought me as a gift, but I have to admit that I am a bit peeved with them...my pet peeve is that they have METAL zippers, & contact on the skin with metal in subzero weather isn't conducive to a healthy chin...I need to get some good tape & tape the zipper thingy up...to prevent that from happening...other than that, the carharts brand is pretty durable & warm!

I know exactly what you mean. I started using a "scarf".

Comment

Originally posted by gogoalie View Post
        yeah, what you said! and they last so long that the problem goes on and on and on.......lol.
        happy trails.
        jh

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
          My gripe with carharts is this "it is possible for this garment to light on fire while the wearer is unaware" This seems minor untill your buddy has to tell you that your back is on friggin fire!

And I thought I was the only guy who'd done that!
          "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

If you're prone to setting yourself on fire, you could opt for some arctic FRC's. They also use metal zippers.

Honestly I don't know if there are any plastic zippers that can wistand really cold temps w/o getting brittle and breaking.
            Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Good points...

"Honestly I don't know if there are any plastic zippers that can wistand really cold temps w/o getting brittle and breaking."

But still, they could at least cover the zipper with something like silicon...couldn't they?

Oh & mine aren't h20 proof...

Comment

I understand that Levis jeans used to have a metal rivet in the crotch area on their jeans. people would be sitting by a campfire and the rivet would get crazy hot without their knowing it. Eventually they would move and discover the hot rivet:eek::eek:. Eventually those were removed from the pants due to consumer complaints.
                If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
                Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

gogoalie... have you ever thought of ordering a rubber suppliment. It is a type of rubber you can microwave and put on zipper parts, or anything else as it is a coating agent. They work really well in the cold and for those electic shocking factors.

http://www.blockheadstamps.com/melting_pot.html

A lot of people use it for rubber stamping... i found you can do a lot more with it then that.
                  No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Comment

Sow in Velcro in the last 5 inches before it hits your neck. Put that on a small flap of duck cloth.

Ron
                    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

wear

Carharts are the worst when it comes to wear. For example peeling logs for a log home one pair carharts completly blown out after about a month vs. Key logger pants lasting 3+5 times longer at less cost. I am talking the double knee pants. I am thinking of trying the fire hose material by Deluth anyone have any experience? Rifrigerwear works well for me when it comes to insulated bibs and suits. They have YKK zippers (non metal)that are an industry standard in other outdoor applications.

Traphunt

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                        And I thought I was the only guy who'd done that!
                        We should start a club!
                        I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Comment

"We should start a club!"

www.spontaneouscombustiblecarhartsclub.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X