Tents and footprints???

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Attention Alaska Artisans and Product Manufacturers!

If you are an Alaska-based Artisan, Crafstman, Author, or Product Manufacturer, or any local business offering products available for sale, we welcome you to add a listing to the AOS Directory. Basic listings are free, and include a summary of your business, physical address, 1 photo and an email address.
Paid listings are being offered through a special promotion: $150/year includes a Featured Directory listing, a link to your website, phone number, email address and a forum welcome announcement linked to your directory listing. We look forward to presenting Alaska products to our audience! Please send an email message to customerservice@alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com if you would like to submit your listing or receive additional information.
Click arrow in top right corner for next announcement.
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I guess the two main reasons for not using one would be the additional cost & weight. I have never had a problem in the past without a footprint
    That about sums it up. I've never needed one. As others have said it's all about site selection. I don't set up in places where water may pool. If you've chosen a good spot it won't matter if you DO have pinholes in the floor. Some of my old tents have pinholes in the floors and I don't even bother to repair them and I never get wet because of it. Heck, one of my most-used shelters has no floor at all!

I have seen many people get soaked because they used a footprint/ground cloth that extended beyond the edges of the rain fly, something that won't happen if you use one properly, of course.

Comment

if you cut some tyvek for a footprint, it should come just to the edge of the tent, and almost be a shade too small. any bigger and you may get water collecting and then running under the tent.

Comment

My tents aren't as high dollar, but I use a thin sheet of painters plastic that's cut to be just smaller than the tents footprint. When I take our church youth group on trips they get one on the outside & one on the inside. Makes the tent floor last longer with teens.
        Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
        "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
          But i'm in a tent around 175+/- days a year so it might be different than most tent users.
          Yeah I am sure that has A LOT to do with it. Heck I'm lucky if I get to spend 60 days a year out and even that is split up between my Arctic Oven, Cabelas Guide Model, Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, and various wall tents. So due to the fact that I am likely not going to be using my tent 100+ days a year through site selection and careful planning I'm thinking I am good to go on no footprint.

Comment

REI sells cut to size footprints for around $10, and a full size one for a 2 man tent weights about 8 oz on my scale. When you trim it, make sure to trim it 2-3 inches smaller than the floor of your tent, otherwise water will run down the side of your tent, hit the footprint, and collect under the floor of your tent.

Comment

A-L, ya if you don't use the tent to death you can get away without the foot print, tent will last you a long time that way as well...and if it starts to get bad you can always add the footprint later...
              Www.blackriverhunting.com
              Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by asrjb25 View Post
                REI sells cut to size footprints for around $10, and a full size one for a 2 man tent weights about 8 oz on my scale. When you trim it, make sure to trim it 2-3 inches smaller than the floor of your tent, otherwise water will run down the side of your tent, hit the footprint, and collect under the floor of your tent.
                You are absolutely right. I don't know how may times I've seen folks set up & part of a blue tarp is sticking out 6" on one side & the edge curled up. Just makes a collection trough & runs it under.
                Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
                "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

All my tents come with a floor. I see no reason to carry something extra to protect it. If the floor gets a hole in it at some point I will have it fixed when I get back home.

Comment

Found a very active thread at the Backpacker Magazine forum. It is under the "Gear" forum and titled "Footprint" in case the below thread does not work. Like 36 responses there for anyone that would like to read more about whether or not to use a footprint. Sorry guys, winter time and I have nothing else to do.

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo...9;t=9991119297
                    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

I use one

I have the Nallo 3 GT. I've only used it on one hunt so far, a REALLY long walk in hunt for sheep. The nicest thing I noticed was that the floor of my vestibule got a floor out of the deal. This was nice for keeping things a little cleaner in the tent and keeping our gear a little nicer. We had some snow, but no rain. Didn't really have any problems with moisture, wet ground, etc.

As for protection on the bottom of the tent floor, I'd rather tote around a footprint than have to do repairs on my tent.

To me having the vestibule floor was a nice benefit.

Now somebody here had theirs out last winter (AlaskaCub maybe) and he had some sweet pics of the set up in the snow. I think Hilleberg shows a picture where the vestible area is dug out to make a basement so to speak. That is cool and would negate the vestibule floor idea.

Richard

Comment

The winter pics were from AlaskaLanche. I personally like the Tundra floor in the vestibule as opposed to a footprint, its a good place to take off boots and other gear and then get into a clean tent from there. I once used a tarp for a footprint in an Alaska Guide tent deluxe vestibule and didn't like it, more water and mud, or dirt on the tarp decieved you into thinking it was clean, earth was mo betta for a floor. Its interesting that the Nallo footprint covers the vestibule space, cuz the Allak I had I ordered with a footprint and it only covered the body of the tent not the vestibules. To each his own though.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X