Sitka Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitka Gear

Has anyone tried the new SITKA GEAR clothing line. Seen it advertised in a Schnees catalog.

Sitka gear

As I remember Sitka gear in the 70s, it consisted of a Woolrich "halibut jacket", X-tratuf red rubber boots ("Sitka sneakers"), a halibut hat (something like a golfers hat but canvas), if you were a logger, you wore "cork" boots. Some folks wore Filson "tin pants" or wool pants. Had to have your Uniroyal (or was it Goodyear?) rain gear handy to top it off for those days of liquid sunshine.

I suspicion that people today are wearing Patagonia pyle, and Columbia Titanium jackets. Don't know about any new lines of apparel, but I bet it isn't what we wore (and did everything from hunting goats to fishing for humpies).

Comment

P.s.

It was all made in the good ol' U.S.A. Try to find that nowadays!

Comment

Sitka Pants

My brother and I both wore these on our sheep hunt.They worked great,dry fast and stretch good and should last.They did have a thread coming undone,they overnighted a new pair and threw in a very nice belt.Pretty good custumer service,I would recomend them.COUES

Comment

Sitka gear is great. I truly do not understand how clothing so light can be so warm. The Kelvin layer with appropriate undergarmet and water repellant jacket such as their Celcius line is unreal. I sold all my other gear. My son had some and I really did not believe that it would work until I purchased some and tried it. Worth the price.

Comment

Found on this forum the Mountain Archery Site http://www.mountain-archery.com/inde...S&Category=414 and have bought a number of Sitka pieces on-sale from them. Every few days they have something on sale, and they have a clearance section. I have never been disappointed. I have save 50% on a regular basis just waiting for the latest "Sale". Fast and professional web site.
            "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

yeah sitka gear is awesome untill it gets real wet, then it dosen't dry for days.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskadianhunter View Post
                yeah sitka gear is awesome untill it gets real wet, then it dosen't dry for days.
                What Sitka gear have you had that experience with?? All the stuff I have used from them has been awesome, I wear it for 60 days each year in the field. The only piece that ever failed was a pair of rain pants that split at the crotch, sent them in and got a new replacement pair for free.

Steve
                "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

well i've been wearing some of the sitka gear this past season, something over 100 days in the field with them. storm front (not the lite) has worked great, actually been suprised with it...i hate gor-tex but this stuff actually worked. and the ascent pants...love the pants, wore holes in them in one season though, so not impressed with the durablity factor, but the comfort was great, like the stretch and the suspenders...super nice when packing a load, my pants will sometimes fall down...they've all dried incredably fast, even the rain gear. i probably won't ever wear their base layer stuff, i'm to sold on merino wool to trying anything else at this point. but i will be buying more ascent pants..mabye a vest too..i like the idea behind that.
                  Www.blackriverhunting.com
                  Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                    well i've been wearing some of the sitka gear this past season, something over 100 days in the field with them. storm front (not the lite) has worked great, actually been suprised with it...i hate gor-tex but this stuff actually worked. and the ascent pants...love the pants, wore holes in them in one season though, so not impressed with the durablity factor, but the comfort was great, like the stretch and the suspenders...super nice when packing a load, my pants will sometimes fall down...they've all dried incredably fast, even the rain gear. i probably won't ever wear their base layer stuff, i'm to sold on merino wool to trying anything else at this point. but i will be buying more ascent pants..mabye a vest too..i like the idea behind that.
                    From what I've heard about their customer service, I wouldn't be surprised if they replaced your worn pants.

Comment

I am not a fan of their durability. The have "cool" camo patterns and their warranty is great but I have had enough failures in the field to lose faith in the products. So far, blown seams in mtn pant, blown crotch in ascent pants, failed zipper on 90% jacket. I do really like the ascent jacket though. For pants there are other brands that I prefer. I also wear exclusively merino wool base layers.

Comment

they said no to fixing the pants...
                        Www.blackriverhunting.com
                        Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                          they said no to fixing the pants...
                          Thanks for replying, that's good to know.

Comment

I've debated myself with Sitka gear for a couple of years and the reports of failures just turned me off given the price I usually see it at..

I bought on a friend's recommendation some of the Sporthill gear for a boat based hunt and couldn't be happier. Not hardly an identical product but it works well for me. It dries faster than anything I've ever seen. Be warned it can be too warm for some folks in the early season. I always use merino base layers during colder temps.
                            "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

I have bought a few pieces, all at a fraction of regular prices in the off season. I really like the 90% jacket. The vest is alright, I don't know that it is anything special, other than it matches the jacket. Bought a Nimbus rain pant, but haven't used it a whole lot, usually use my HH Impertec. Tried a zip T base, but it stinks as bad or worse in less than a day than anything else I've tried. I've got some very inexpensive synthetic with X system silver that stink less after 3-4 days or merino wool. Can't bring myself to buy the Ascent pants because of pocket layout and short inseam. I like my Cabelas MicroTex pants and shirt over merino or x system base and then what ever else over that depending on conditions.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X