This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    You probably to not have Microsoft excel on your computer. If that is the case you will not be able to open the files. If you want PM your e-mail and I'll send them all to you via a word document.

Let me know.
    If you don't have a copy of excel you could try open office, it's free open source software. www.openoffice.org and they have a spreadsheet program to view .xls files.

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
      Lanche...If that ptarmigan bivi turns out to be as good as I hope it is then perhaps you could cut the hilleberg for the long sheep hunt. Instead just take a wing style sil/ny tarp like tohe one from integral designes, it is going to be an early hunt anyway. You will also have the raft that you could use as additional shelter if need be. That would cut the weight of the packraft out of your pack. What do you have in your first aid kit that weighs so much? I did notice that the sat phone is not on the list, you could also switch to the cats meow and drop another pound over the glacier hunter. I sure do prefer the wiggys for fit and all but early Aug I have never been cold in my CM, Late sept on the other hand, brrrrr!!
      Being early season on that trip and that fact that my wife is coming along I don't think we'll mind too much sharing my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 which is half the weight of the Nallo gt 3. Also we have some 1.5 pound 35 degree bags we are going to be taking since we'll be zipping them together to stay for additonal heat I'll also be saving weight there. This all sounds good in theory, but then that shared weight column isn't shared so evenly when packing with my wife, but some things are worth it.

Comment

If you don't have excel, you can upload the file to google documents. It will instantly be available to use and tweak.

I brought a little over a pound of food on my sheep hunt last year. When you figure in dehydrated food it really adds up. What I had was way too much and we were busting our butts.

I'll be bringing what I ate last year which totals out to about a pound per day plus an extra lunch and extra dinner (about 0.45 lbs extra).

Comment

Here's my list. Depending on exactly what I bring, I am at about 42lbs for gear including rifle. Food and water is on top of that and my buddy will pack the stove. I'll pack the body of the Hilleberg Tarra and he can pack the poles and stakes. I like to bring some real food like bagels, peanut butter and honey mixed up together, salami and cheese and I go with Granola with dried fruit and powdered milk in it instead of instant oatmeal. I feel a guy needs to be in top physical shape, have plenty of food, and get good rest. If I don't have those three then a 3-4lb lighter pack won't help me any. Pick your weight I guess. I'm willing to pack a little heavier bombproof tent and more food. With food for 7-10 days and some water I'm at about 55lbs or so total.
          Attached Files
          A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Snyd,

I really like your list. I'm gonna try and kinda steal yours and fuse it into mine some how in order to get the Included Yes/No option and still have my shared weight. This way I can put all the gear I might bring on all my backpacking trips and kind of pick and choose what I need for a particular hunt.BTW, that Zirkel bag is looking better and better at 1# 14 oz!!!

I hear ya on the food thing. I know you can do it on MH and oatmeal and powerbars, but its nice to mix up the monotony on an extended trip. Yeah I'm shooting for around 55 lbs all up too, but really should be shooting for less cause if the stories are true, you are an animal packer.

Thanks for the list.

Comment

Alright I updated my gearlist above with the new and improve list that is kind of a hybrid between mine and Snyd's. Allow to pick and choose different pieces of gear that I will be taking for different trips. Sure its not complete, but you'd guys be revamping it if you were to use it anyways. So same as Snyd's if that piece of gear is going to be taken on the trip put a "Y" in the included column and if its a shared item put a "Y" in the shared item column. This will half the weight of that item and subtract that from the total weight of your pack basically assuming that you will be distributing the weight with your partner evenly.

Thanks again Snyd!!

Comment

Alaska_Lanche:

I think we approach the idea of shared weight differently. In my mind (and on my list) I note everything that should not be redundant in a hunting party. When planning and packing with my partner we will decide who is carrying what (i.e., he may carry the stove, I the tent, he the spotting scope, etc.). Your list suggests that you are able to hack the items in half. I am not sure 1/2 of a Leupold range finder will do anyone much good; as a result, the end weight of your spreadsheet would never accurately represent your pack's actual weight. Seems like you may best add another column to represent shared items that you would not be carrying, but would have access to, thus you could 1) account the for item and 2) include the full weight of the items you will be carrying.

Such a multi-column approach is where I am actually going with my list in preparation for the forthcoming sheep season, as my partner and I don't live close to eachother anymore and will be packing separately.

On a side, how do you like that Promaster D2 digital tripod?

Bryan

Comment

Bryan,

You bring up a good point. I won't be hacking my spotting scope in half:eek:. I guess it wasn't inferred exactly what is going to be carried by whom. Granted one guy might be stuck with an extra couple of pounds, but I think its pretty safe to guess that you can get pretty close.

Ya know, one guy carries the spotting scope, tripod, and stove, the other guy carries the tent. One guy gets the first aid kit and the other the water filter, one guy carries the fuel (the guy with the stove hopefully) and the other carries the camera and range finder, and so on and so forth. Basically the same approach you have, I guess I just plan on sorting it out to as close to equal as we can get it. A separate column may help with that though or further add to the confusion as its already getting pretty busy. These lists are fun to play and tinker with and see how light or heavy you can make your pack, but in the end all that matters is you end up taking everything you need to complete the hunt and nothing extra.

As far as the tripod goes, I just ordered from doug at cameraland so we'll see how it goes. I'll keep ya posted on that for $35 bones I figure its probably too good to be true, but we can always hope right.

Comment

can yall email me these by any chance? i have a mac without all the windows programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Browningguy9 View Post
                      can yall email me these by any chance? i have a mac without all the windows programs.
                      I'm a mac user myself. The files are the same whether or not you get them by email or just download them from the thread here. Word, Excel, etc. are not just windows programs. Micro$oft makes them for mac also. If you have Appleworks or iWork they will open .doc and .xls files. You can also install OpenOffice on your mac.
                      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

thanks a lot snyd! i guess i shouldve put im a new mac user lol... i downloaded the before mentioned program. i have them all now. ill be submitting mine shortly, i gotta get all the weights tallied and whatnot. i wanna go sheep hunting now!!!!!!! haha.

Comment

sorry no weights or anything. Im stuck in Korea for a bit so all of this is off memory, oh i wish i could touch my toys.....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Spotting Scope Tripod

Any recommendations for a good Swarovski ATS HD 80 tripod? One that is sturdy, yet somewhat light, without being carbon, unless the carbon is in the ball park. After spending two plus grand on the scope, I don't feel much like spending $300-700 on a tripod. Been looking at Monfrotto, yet the ones I've actually got to test have been quite heavy. Any suggestions?
                            Marc Theiler

Comment

my Osprey Argon 110 has just been replaced with a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500...

Comment

Originally posted by Browningguy9 View Post
                                my Osprey Argon 110 has just been replaced with a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500...
                                that mystery ranch will hold the weight better.

on your list, noticed a few things:

1. Sitka 90% Jacket & Pants
                                2. Polartec Fleece Jacket & Pants
                                & insulating layter

what parts of AK and what time of year are you doing this hunt? that seems like a whole lot of layers to be packing. you have some baselayers in your list. so if you're hiking with your ascent pants and have the impertech for rain wear, you shouldn't two insulating leg layers, like the fleece and 90% pants. i would take the fleece, and leave the 90% pants at home. for one they are heavy and they take a lot longer to dry then fleece. Same with the 90% jacket. or keep the fleece at home if you really like the 90% stuff in the field, but both seem like too much weight.

like the prep. H wipes

you will also be wearing the sitka traverse shirt, but have this:

4. Polartec Power Dry Long Underwear
                                5. Under Armour Cold Gear Top & Bottoms

I don't think both of those are needed as well.

taking one of each layer will free not only ounces in your pack but volume.

good luck

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X