Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Gear so far.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • My Gear so far.

    I have just started putting my pack together for hiking/camping or whatever. So far this is what I have...
    My mini survival kit that I will keep on me.

    My pack with tent and sleeping bag

    Knives, flashlights and first aid kit

    Layered clothing and food

    Still adding to it but it's a start.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

  • #2
    Also have my Sig Sauer .40 S&W with extra ammo
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmm military poly pro. Get rid of it and get something more stable. The poly pro also smell.. bad.

      Take it from an ex-military wife, the stuff never gets really clean and the smell stays forever. Look at what other have for clothing gear as well. You can find deals, depending on your size.

      Also.. get a 30.06, you will never regret it.
      No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

      Comment


      • #4
        For the first aid kit I would add Benadryl. Good for allergies, bug bites, can't get to sleep. Ibuprogin, as it will help with a twisted ankle, sprained wrist, as well as a head ache. I would also add a pack of Quikclot.

        Gear wise, I would swap out the big flashlight out for a headlamp. Pack the small one as a spare.

        The 40 is a nice weapon for some things, not so good for others. Depends on why your taking it.

        It's real easy to overpack. You don't mention what time of year or duration, but my summer pack for two weeks will weight in right about 45-50 pounds, complete.
        www.MarkandChrisLundin.com

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
          For the first aid kit I would add Benadryl. Good for allergies, bug bites, can't get to sleep. Ibuprogin, as it will help with a twisted ankle, sprained wrist, as well as a head ache. I would also add a pack of Quikclot.

          Gear wise, I would swap out the big flashlight out for a headlamp. Pack the small one as a spare.

          The 40 is a nice weapon for some things, not so good for others. Depends on why your taking it.

          It's real easy to overpack. You don't mention what time of year or duration, but my summer pack for two weeks will weight in right about 45-50 pounds, complete.
          Yeah in the plastic container I have medicine extra contacts and glasses, gum, candy, energy bars etc.
          I still need to get some bear spray not gonna use the .40 for that.
          I plan on camping spring and summer only so really no need for a flashlight but the headlamp is a good idea.
          Former A.F Staff Sergeant

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by doug1980 View Post
            Yeah in the plastic container I have medicine extra contacts and glasses, gum, candy, energy bars etc.
            I still need to get some bear spray not gonna use the .40 for that.
            I plan on camping spring and summer only so really no need for a flashlight but the headlamp is a good idea.

            Take an extra set of older glasses. Contacts, and trying to put them in during a rain/wind storm is going to be more of a headache.
            No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

            Comment


            • #7
              something to consider

              Id leave all three of those lights behind in exchange for a headlamp, ok maybe the small flashlight as b/u but it would at least be a small plastic instead of the mag. I'd probably only take half of the pcord there too. Small box of waterproof matches, I didnt see those in there. I dont usually have anything that requires me to carry a multi tool either but wouldnt fault my partner if he wanted to carry it.

              Everyone is a little different in what they like to carry, the more you get out there the more you'll start to figure out what you really need and what you can do without. Have fun.

              Comment


              • #8
                good start

                I agree about the headlamp instead of the other lights.
                If I were just camping (not hunting) I would take the multi-tool and leave the other knives and saw at home.
                It looks like you have a ton of para cord which you could lighten up on.
                For extra clothing lightweight compression bags are hard to beat.
                Do you have anything for treating water?
                Have you weighed all your stuff yet?
                My favorite saying for backpacking is: "Ounces make pounds".
                Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
                - Frank Zappa

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by upinak View Post
                  Hmm military poly pro. Get rid of it and get something more stable. The poly pro also smell.. bad.

                  Take it from an ex-military wife, the stuff never gets really clean and the smell stays forever. Look at what other have for clothing gear as well. You can find deals, depending on your size.

                  Also.. get a 30.06, you will never regret it.


                  I like military poly-pro. Cheap, pretty darn warm, and if you wash it right it smells just fine. Besides, smell won't matter after a few days anyway



                  Jon
                  Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Looks like it's coming along for you.
                    As the previous poster said, ounces add up to pounds VERY quickly. if you can find yourself a cheap 5 lb scale, it will help you out a lot.

                    First Picture: ditch the tin that the emergency kit is in; i don't carry a multitool with me, just a simple 3 inch blade knife. i have never needed a multitool on a backcountry hiking trip; go to one of the smaller lighters, you won't need that much; not sure what the bottom items are in that pic? one looks like magnesium fire starter, not sure what the others are; ditch some paracord, you won't need as much.

                    2nd and 3rd pics: ditch the heavy light, i head out with just a headlamp, which in the summer in AK is all I have needed; you have three lights total that i see, a headlamp will do just fine; the saw and large knife are very heavy and I would leave those at home; what's in the rubbermaid container? leave the container at home, that is heavy.

                    4th pic: if heading out in the summer, you won't need all that clothing. when out in the backcountry in AK during the summer (in a non-snow covered environment), i wear long synthetic pants, a short or long sleeve synthetic shirt, i carry a waterproof layer, and an insulation layer. i have an extra pair of underwear and socks and that is it. i smell bad at the end, but you're headed into the backcountry.

                    5th pic: i would not take the .40 unless camping out at Jims creek. having backpacked in the appalachians, i feel very comfortable in AK. i would rather worry about bears then the two legged creatures. you're taking spray for bears, if the gun is for personal protection from humans, i wouldn't worry about that here. that is my opinion, maybe others don't feel as safe in the AK backcountry. if you do take it, leave some of the ammo at home.

                    going overboard is always good if you are not comfortable out there the first time, as the comfort grows, you will learn what you can and can't live without, and your back and legs will thank you too. a scale will make you see the light and how much everything weighs.

                    what are you drinking water out of?

                    good luck and good job on the progress

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      In addition to the flashlights I would ditch the MRE, the multitool and the 40. Depending on how much that knife and scabbard weighs I may ditch it for a smaller lighter knife. Replace the mre with some powerbars, get a water filter or purification tablets and a 44mag or larger.
                      A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by akhunter3 View Post
                        I like military poly-pro. Cheap, pretty darn warm, and if you wash it right it smells just fine. Besides, smell won't matter after a few days anyway



                        Jon
                        Jon, you may love it but others may not. Excuse the expression "groin cheese" doesn't help a man backpacking and polypro is known to make men sweat, then stink worse and it doesn't let you dry out. It also isn't great when raining.

                        doug, go to www.wintersilks.com and check on the layering stuff they have there. It is worth the money, very light, dries fast and it doesn't smell or keep them. And it isn't bulky at all.
                        No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like the consensus is to lighten it up a bit. Guess I'm used to camping in Indiana where flashlights are important. I am still adding to it and trying to find alternate clothing and various other things. I still need some cookware and water filtration, and am looking for better rain gear. Work in progress...
                          Former A.F Staff Sergeant

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I like the REI titanium cookware. You can put it all in one and it is very light weight... but pricey. But worth the money.

                            Originally posted by doug1980 View Post
                            Thanks for all the input everyone. Seems like the consensus is to lighten it up a bit. Guess I'm used to camping in Indiana where flashlights are important. I am still adding to it and trying to find alternate clothing and various other things. I still need some cookware and water filtration, and am looking for better rain gear. Work in progress...
                            No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by upinak View Post
                              I like the REI titanium cookware. You can put it all in one and it is very light weight... but pricey. But worth the money.
                              Thanks I'll go check that out. As for the poly pro I used that while deployed to Iraq and Kuwait with no problems. Never noticed the "smell" but am wanting something less bulky. For now that's what I have and it does keep me warm, even if I stink.
                              Former A.F Staff Sergeant

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X