No announcement yet.

Big Agnes Seedhouse Sl series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you say base camp I am assuming you are being transported in to a remote location(plane, or boat). First off, anytime in Alaska that you are going to a remote location that has the capability of hitting you with extreme weather (such as Kodiak) you would want a rock solid 4 season tent. Whether its made by Bibler, North Face, MSR, or whoever it better be able to withstand 60+ mph winds and stay intact and keep you dry. The Big Agnes tents to me are sheep hunting tents. Used in August in the mountains when the weather is mild and that can be packed easily and are very lightweight. I would not take the Big Agnes to Kodiak in Oct but for August weather in the interior Mountain ranges its my new choice for a sheep hunting tent. I used a Cabelas Guide tent with the Deluxe Vestibule for years , on moose and caribou hunts where the wheeler carried it in for me but I wouldn't backpack it anywhere as its too heavy. Even tents like the North Face Evolution a rock solid 4 season 4 person tent weighs 12lbs, so you wouldn't want to pack it too far. But for a base camp tent in bad weather it would be ideal for 2-3 guys and their gear. There are a great deal of quality tents out there, that serve all kinds of needs you just have to pick one for your specific needs. Just understand that most 3 season tents are not designed for late fall weather in the extreme locations in Alaska like Kodiak, the Peninsula and western Alaska where extreme winds mixed with cold and wet weather will kill you if your tent doesn't stay in tact. For hunts in which your 4 wheeler and or your truck arent far away the protection can be a little less, since if things go bad you can just load up and leave the bad weather behind. But when your stuck where you are and a plane cant get in to pull you out , you must endure whatever Mother Nature throws at you and you better be prepared. buying outdoor equipment is a full time job if you enjoy spending many seasons in the woods, and there is a lot of specialty gear available for each type of hunt. It is something that one acquires through time, none of us have enough money to buy everything all at one time that you need to be equipped in Alaska for 12 months of outdoor playing. Your gear list grows as each year passes and as you take on new challenges, you'll purchase trip specific stuff,if you get my drift. What I have now is far more than I did 10 years ago when I moved up here. But its taken me years to acquire it all and still each and every year I buy new stuff for specific hunts.Its madness if you ask me!

Comment

Super Post

You have definetly cleared a ton of things up for me AKCub or at least got the penguins to waddle in formation! I have copied your last post in my AK Gear notes and I will get to work on finding what I "think" I will need and then take each adventure at a time and worry about any differences later.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

I picked up the SL2 as the SL1 seemed small. The SL2 is still a one man tent, and fits me well (6'1" and 225 lbs), and I was able to put my pack under the vestibule along with my boots, but there wasn't any room after that. A little bigger would not hurt. I used the footprint/poles/fly set up in the fall and awoke to an inch or so of snow. The extra bit of "room" on the sides kept my sleeping bag dry except for the feet end. So far I am happy with it but I did not use it on my sheep hunt as planned. I will in 2007.
        It's the journey, not the destination.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
        Working...
        X