Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a light weight tent, goat hunting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a light weight tent, goat hunting.

I have found 3 tents for my goat hunt, what one would you choose?

BRWNBR, made a good point, this is for 1 person only.
    Eureka Autum Wind 2XD, 5.9LBS, lot's of room.
    3.03%
    Sierra Designs Clip flashlight CD2, 4.7LBS, good amount of room.
    9.09%
    North Face Tadpole 23, 4.14LBS, good amount of room.
    36.36%
    None of those, check this tent out and heres why.
    51.52%
    Last edited by AKDSLDOG; 05-14-2008, 20:12. Reason: added info..

man those are all to heavy, get down around 3lbs with a mountain hardware tent or the like and give up some space, most lightweights have good vestibules and thats all you need, if your talking a one man tent, i don't think you specified, if your looking at a two man tent then your fine on any of them.
    3lb sleeping bag...3lb tent shoot for that. my sheep tents are all 3lbs or a couple oz over that. seirra designs, mountain hardwarex2, had an MSR and a REI but wore them out.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Comment

Go with the tadpole. I have an earlier version of that called the Starlight, and that thing has been bombproof. On my first trip out with it a wind gauge 20 miles away recorded winds of 105mph. The tent stood strong, while my friend's tent was shredded. I just point the foot end into the wind and rest solidly - never a problem. It's a bit heavier than the 3lbs that Jake is recommending, but sometimes I don't mind an extra pound or two when stability is at stake.

Comment

lightweight tent

What time of year are you planning this hunt?early August or mid Oct? Check out Hilleberg tents Either the Akto or the Soulo. I normally do 5 to7 goat hunts a year and i have used a Bibler Eldorado for years great tent as well. Remember it is your butt up in goat country dont skimp on the tent!Could be life or death in minutes up high!

Comment

Originally posted by buckwear View Post
          Check out Hilleberg tents Either the Akto or the Soulo.
          +1 on the Hilleberg recommendation. My hiking buddy bought their Akto and is pleased with it; it's rated for 4 seasons and is about 3 lbs. The only gripe he has is that the guylines take up a lot of room to pitch.

If you ever do fair-weather overnighters, Tarptent and Six Moon Designs make really light 1-man tents. 3-season only.
          Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Comment

I went with the Tadpole .
            I do not care for any single wall tent thus the Tadpole fit the bill for me .
            I like to be able to pick up my tent and place it in another direction If need be without taking it apart to do so , just remove stakes and presto your done .

RR
            Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
            Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Comment

I thought eureka made the Clip Flashlite? I could have sworn that I just looked at one for $95 at sportsmans the other day when I bought my Big Agnes seedhouse.

Comment

Nope..definately Sierra Designs.
                Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

I'd be looking hard at a Hilleberg Bivanorak and a piece of visqueen.

Comment

Or a Hilleberg Akto, lightweight but bombproof for bad weather protection.

http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_akto.php

Comment

You can't go wrong with Hilleberg or Integral Designs.
                      The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Comment

Goat hunting starts where sheep hunting starts! hilleberg or single wall if you can get it done in a few days. Skimp on lbs,on food. Get hungry,Hunt hard!

Comment

Lt weight tents

I have been using a Black Diamond Mega Mid light for the last three years. Very light, compact. I've used it in the winter, too, successfully, comfortably.

Comment

shouldas and couldas

I remember about 10 years ago a good friend of mine (that is Swedish) was telling me to buy a Hilleberg (when you couldn't get them here in the US). I could have purchased the tents for half what they cost now...just couldn't afford the duties and taxes to import at the time......By far, they are totally bombproof tents!

Comment

Light and cheap...Nice for those of us with a budget

LL Bean, 2-Person Microlight Tent. 4 pounds 6 ounces pack weight. Not bad for this kind of tent and best of all it is only $129.00.
                              Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X