Sleeping Pads for bad backs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping Pads for bad backs....

Well folks...as "middle youth" moves along, prior stupidity has cost me a couple of disks in my low back and now sleeping on the ground results in poor/no sleep and a lot of pain.

I've tried a thermarest "Trail" and I've even doubled it up with a "NeoLite" and used the two pads together. Didn't work despite all the pad under me.

I also tried a 3" camp foam on a car camping trip.... same result. Felt good initially, but an hour later felt like I was twisted in half.

Any other back sufferers got any other ideas? Thought about a thermarest cot (really short since my tent won't take a tall cot.) or one of the thick Exped pads with memory foam. Weight isn't really a concern since backpacking is pretty much not on the to do list but less bulk is a good thing.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I can't say why and don't even know if I have something wrong with my back, but I spend a lot of time in tents and have found that the thinner, non inflatable pads are better on my back than the thicker inflatables.

I think it must have to do with my body hanging off the edges of the thicker pads. If I sleep on the thick pads, I wake up with a lot of back pain.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
      Well folks...as "middle youth" moves along, prior stupidity has cost me a couple of disks in my low back and now sleeping on the ground results in poor/no sleep and a lot of pain.

I've tried a thermarest "Trail" and I've even doubled it up with a "NeoLite" and used the two pads together. Didn't work despite all the pad under me.

I also tried a 3" camp foam on a car camping trip.... same result. Felt good initially, but an hour later felt like I was twisted in half.

Any other back sufferers got any other ideas? Thought about a thermarest cot (really short since my tent won't take a tall cot.) or one of the thick Exped pads with memory foam. Weight isn't really a concern since backpacking is pretty much not on the to do list but less bulk is a good thing.
      Are you camping in tundra areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
        Are you camping in tundra areas?
        Mostly gravel bars and pressure ridges- pretty firm ground for the most part.
        "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Luxury edition thermarest or one of the fat xped mats. Better yet add a cot. I will carry light weight gear but not a priority in the sleeping mat category...LE Thermarest is the lightest option I will carry...
          14 Days to Alaska
          Also available on Kindle and Nook

Comment

Have you tried a full or queen size 6" air mattress?

Comment

A cot was the best purchase I've made for camping. Definitely worth the money on a quality cot..add your thermarest or neolite and you'll be sleeping good.
              You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bigcox View Post
                A cot was the best purchase I've made for camping. Definitely worth the money on a quality cot..add your thermarest or neolite and you'll be sleeping good.
                Yeahp. For truck camping where we're sleeping in the pickup or on a tent platform, we're starting to use cots with a thermarest pad on top. I use my GI cot, but we also have a roll-a-cot http://www.camptime.com/roll-a-cot.htm which is pretty darn nice. (They have a wide one, too.) It's lighter than my GI cot and packs down smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                  Mostly gravel bars and pressure ridges- pretty firm ground for the most part.
                  Ok. I bought a cot this year to use with my sleeping pad. I've thought about using an air mattress, but haven't decided yet. These are base cMp options. However I've taken a few naps on tundra moss...wow! Best naps ever. When dry. Have you thought about hammocks?

Comment

Yes cots. Very awkward and bulky, but the only way I sleep now in the outdoors. Used to be able to sleep anywhere....

Comment

Roll a Cot for sure, fold a full size memory foam mattress topper and place on top of the cot.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everybody... Headed to FBX today and I'm going to look into cots- specifically a Roll-A-Cot and the Thermarest cot and see how that works. I figure either of those with a thermarest pad on top should be about as comfortable as i can get this side of an RV.

Comment

Just wondering.........
                          Do you get a good sleep in your bed? If so is your bed hard or soft? Do you sleep on your back or side when I sleep on my side I need a higher pillow to hold up my head. The older I get the more clothes I need at night, could it be your getting to cold when sleeping.

I would try sleeping on a sheet of plywood with one of the pads you already have and a pillow you like before spending more money on something that may not work. IMO

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X